THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project

Go down 
+4
cybogoblin
Local_Ork
jb7090
MuGGzy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MuGGzy
Slave

Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project Empty
PostSubject: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28 2011, 19:43

I sw several very good conversion ideas on here for using Rat ogres and such to convert Grotesques and I wanted to do something similar.

I have always loved the Rackham Confrontation minis and have used them in the past for many conversion projects, never one to stick within GW alone for my stuff. So I decided to pick up some of these guys and start converting them with GS and Talos bits to see what I end up with.

They are plastic, they are pre painted, and they are CHEAP so it will be hard to go too wrong with these guys. I think they have the perfect mix of Bio and tech.

Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project RKCOS14
Those are about Talos/dread scale so they might be overkill, maybe only one to represent a particularly successful "project"?

These (below) come two to a box for like $10 though and are closer to GW Grot scale..
Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project RKCOS12

And these looked like a good replacement for Chymeras at like $3 a pop
Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project Syhar-sighthounds_19300_1_0

I just ordered a box of each so I will update this as I start cutting into them and see what ya'll think.

Back to top Go down
jb7090
Kabalite Warrior
jb7090

PostSubject: Re: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05 2011, 16:33

How did this ever turn out?

Whats the quality of the minis? Have pics of the finished project?
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05 2011, 16:52

Rackham always did good models (even plastics, tho metals own), sad they are out of business due to sheer stupidity in end years...
Back to top Go down
cybogoblin
Slave
cybogoblin

PostSubject: Re: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05 2011, 19:44

The models were recently picked up by CMON. They've started re-releasing the old metal range, though it's a little random at the moment.

http://geeklifebalance.wordpress.com
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

PostSubject: Re: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05 2011, 20:05

Those look really cool. I am so wanting a couple of those hounds because I am wanting to run a full unit of khymereas and I dont want to use the GW hounds. Where did you order them from and do you know if they are metal or plastic?

cybogoblin
Slave
cybogoblin

PostSubject: Re: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05 2011, 21:15

The hounds only ever came out in plastic, IIRC. As for where you can get them, some stores might still have old stock, but you might have more luck on eBay.

http://geeklifebalance.wordpress.com
Angrypeasant
Hellion
Angrypeasant

PostSubject: Re: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05 2011, 21:38

those both look like good bases for conversions!

Skaven Blog
Back to top Go down
speedfreek
Sybarite
speedfreek

PostSubject: Re: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05 2011, 23:34

The "hounds" are Tigers of Dirz and have older metal models as well, but without the vestigal arms.

(Largest one is an Aberration and middle ones are Dasyatis Clones)
Back to top Go down
Tzeentch
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06 2011, 07:30

I make extensive use of the Confrontation Dirz/Scorpion miniatures (metal and prepainted) in both my Daemon and Dark Eldar armies. The Aberration and Nemesis models (first and second picture) make excellent count-as Bloodcrushers and Grotesques - and even come on the right-sized bases. The Sighthounds (third picture) are amazing Fiends and Khymera - and, again, are already on the correct bases.

I use Dirz Clones (various types) for Wracks and Phemera for Razorwing flocks. They are already biomechanical in style, but you can add plastic Dryad or Chronos bits to make them look even better.

You can get the hounds and Aberrations from Miniature Market. The Aberration Primes (first picture) are harder to get ahold of (but look amazing) and you're basically stuck with ordering from France (LudikBazar).

The paint jobs on them range from good (the Aberrations/Nemesis and Sighthounds) to the decent (most of the Clones) to the absolutely terrible (Phemera). You cannot strip the paint (it's bonded to the plastic) but you can clean off the wierd washes and then reprime. The models have an amazing amount of detail that is often concealed under simplistic paint schemes.

I hope to go into detail on using Confrontation miniatures in 40K and Fantasy sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project   Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Undertaking a new "Counts As" Grotesque project
Page 1 of 1