THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?

Go down 
+20
theredone85
Keast Kannegaard
FuelDrop
Faitherun
krayd
Scrz
TheBaconPope
Painjunky
FrankyMcShanky
TeenageAngst
Archon_91
Dawnstone
The Shredder
Mppqlmd
Count Adhemar
Jimsolo
CptMetal
Squidmaster
Bedlam55
Dizlen
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dizlen
Hellion
Dizlen

What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? Empty
PostSubject: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 12:34

Reading the latest Raven guard chapter focus kind of made me a little upset. They can spend one command point to put any of their units into reserve with deep strike. The lore reasons are that they can come out of the shadows... Oh I didn't see that dreadnought 9'' away from me. Anyway, it upsets me because this almost seems like it should have been a Dark Eldar ability with our webway portals. Surely I'm not the only one who thought this? It just seems a little absurd that bulky marines can stay hidden because they wear black armour.

I am just hoping that we get something similar to this or potentially something better. What things are you guys hoping for when our codex comes out?
Back to top Go down
Bedlam55
Hellion
Bedlam55

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 12:48

I want them to update the drugs table with been able to charge after advancing instead of +2 movement. Also while I'm wish listing I've love to be able to burn CP to advance the power from pain table for by a turn.

Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 13:16

I'm expecting a strategem for Webway Portals, allowing any unit to be placed in Tactical Reserves.

A tweak to Combat Drugs would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

If GW were really caring, they'd give us something akin to our classic 3rd edition "Take Prisoners" rule (if you kill by running down, roll 4+ per model to take Prisoners worth 1vp each). Something like that but using models the enemy loses in Morale (maybe only if within 1"/combat).
That would be sweet.

I further expect special characters. When Drukhari do drop, I have a hope it'll be proper, and we'll get the stuff we're missing. Vect is in a position to have a narrative impact (or die), so SOMETHING can happen to give us new characters (or old).

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Bedlam55
Hellion
Bedlam55

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 13:28

special characters as well as HQ choices on Reaver jet bikes or Hellions skyboards (that are not special characters)

Despite the points cost for Reavers/Hellions the thought of fielding an entire army of nothing but Reavers and Hellions is appealing (cheap to)

Hellion
Dizlen

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 13:46

A strategem for webway portals is the dream for me. Deepstriking a raider with 9 incubi and Drazhar will kill basically anything
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 14:19

Why deep strike inside a raider? They can't charge that turn because They can't get out anymore. Just deep strike without a raider.

Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 14:23

I just want the Duke back.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 14:37

Baron for me please!

Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 14:45

I would love a stratagem for nightfighting. Spend 2 command points to inflict -1 hit modifier on the first turn. Would be awesome.
I think they really have the opportunity with stratagems to make each faction very flavorfull in the way they fight.

Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 14:46

I'd like it if we could see in the dark again, though...
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 17:53

Just to nitpick a bit: 'hope' and 'expect' are very different things.

For example, what I hope is that we'll get some new HQs, mobility options for out existing HQs, and a nice range of artefacts and warlord traits.

What I expect is for us to get no new HQ or mobility options whatsoever, a load of junk artefacts, and Warlord Traits that allow you to perfectly simulate a warlord who's undergone an amateur lobotomy. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dawnstone
Hellion
Dawnstone

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 18:45

I expect we might see the remaining finecast units brought up to plastic, with the possible exception of characters like Lelith & Drazhar. Either that, or they're becoming permanent legacy units along with aspect warriors Crying or Very sad
On the rules side, they'll nerf razorwing flocks for sure. Hopefully we get some relics and traits that make taking our HQs worthwile, because at the moment taking a random Farseer just for doom is a better choice...
Back to top Go down
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 22:00

What I foresee happening is we will get a new named archon, it will not be Vect. We will also see a Mandrake's HQ. We will probably see the soul stone come back as a kabalite artifact, we will receive some spear artifact for the wych cults and something along the lines of helm of spite for the coven artifact. The power from pain table will probably shift to +1 to hit on turn 4 and immune to moral on turn 5 and the -1 to leadership on turn 3, the drugs will remain the same, a couple of weapons, splinter Cannon and huskblade, will see a points decrease. The archon aura will be redone to something that causes fear in the enemy so possibly a negative 1 to ld or every turn and a warlord traits that says when he's within 6" of an enemy infantry unit they have to take their moral check on 2 dice instead of 1. Idk ... That might be a little to powerful... Succubus and haemunculous will remain the same, noone will get upgrades to jetbike or skyboards, we will probably see a new coven unit that sits either bigger then the talos or somewhere between the grotesque and Talos in terms of size. Aethersails will be the name of a stratagem that let's our vehicles "deepstrike" we will probably see splinter Wracks come back but instead of twin linked, it'll let us reroll hit rolls of 1 or wound rolls of the same. A new piece of wargear for the vehicles that let's them advance 6" and let themselves and the passengers shoot without penalty. Our shooting weapons will stay the same, haywire blasters might be changed to do D3 mortal wounds to anything with the keyword vehicle on a 4+ on a 6 will do 2D3 worth of mortal wounds instead. The cc special weapons again will more then likely stay the same, except the electrocorsive whip will do D6 damage on a 6 and the agonizer will do a flat 2 damage. Drazahar will gain another attack or 2 in his profile, Lelyth will get an ability that let's her "challenge" enemy characters that says she can charge and bypass any unit between her and the character within 8" of her. Again probably more wishful thinking. And lastly Urien will probably get something that let's him increase coven units toughness by 2 instead of one and go up about 30 points to compensate for it. ... If any of this comes true other then the parts about "this will remain the same) I would be completely surprised
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 22:55

I expect the codex will fix everything.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
FrankyMcShanky
Hellion
FrankyMcShanky

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 23:24

Dizlen wrote:
Reading the latest Raven guard chapter focus kind of made me a little upset. They can spend one command point to put any of their units into reserve with deep strike.

They never specified how many CP it costs.
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 00:56

I expect we'll get some named HQs. They will be under powered and over costed, as usual.

No jetbike or skyboard or wings options for generic HQs.

A detachment with some mediocre rule like +1 save turn 1 for infantry only out of cover.

Some wargear that is expensive and situational at best.

All thanks to GWs "extensive playtesting". Laughing
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 01:14

I expect we will get zero new models, zero new characters, and, maybe, a new package deal of a couple of our models, maybe a Coven or something.

I can't even remember the last time the True Kin got a new model (DE exclusive, that is). I see no reason why that would change.

Webway Portal will likely be relegated to a meh CP sink that Space Marines can do better, more effectively, and cheaper.

We'll probably get some mediocre stradegems, some flat and uninspired wargear, and a Relic list that looks up the Thesaurus entry for "pain," slaps it onto an abstract noun, gives it some generic rules, and calls it good.

We'll probably be pretty effective as far as winning goes, but in terms of interesting and thematic rules, I foresee we'll be almost entirely pedestrian.

Sybarite
Scrz

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 07:39

Dizlen wrote:
Reading the latest Raven guard chapter focus kind of made me a little upset. They can spend one command point to put any of their units into reserve with deep strike. The lore reasons are that they can come out of the shadows... Oh I didn't see that dreadnought 9'' away from me. Anyway, it upsets me because this almost seems like it should have been a Dark Eldar ability with our webway portals. Surely I'm not the only one who thought this? It just seems a little absurd that bulky marines can stay hidden because they wear black armour.

I am just hoping that we get something similar to this or potentially something better. What things are you guys hoping for when our codex comes out?

First of all, don't be upset. it is just a game. Very Happy I know it harder than it sounds. I'm pumped because I play raven guard, but if I didn't I'd probably be a little jealous.
Anyway, I think you may have misread the description of the strategem. It does not allow them to deploy in deepstrike reserve.
GW wrote:
...allowing you to hold units back at the start of the game and deploy them anywhere more than 9″ away from the enemy just before the game begins.
So basically they get the old "infiltrate" rule. Still incredibly powerful.
Also archon Pedantix want's to point out that the armor is not merely black, it is light absorbing. Wink

Since our old schtick was deep striking without scatter, and everyone does that now, it would be cool if we got some way to deep strike better than everyone else again. Like the possibility to pay CP to set up closer than 9". Of course that is never going to happen. (...to us. Dark angels will probably be able to).
Another cool thing they could do with the portal was to allow units already on the board to enter the webway, and then reemerge somewhere else next turn, like the old corsairs could. It would be fluffy and completely useless since we can already drive wherever we want to go on the board in a turn or so.
Or, the rule you thought raven guard got would be sweet. I'd gladly pay up to 2CP to be able to deepstrike a raider full of psychopaths 9" away from something tasty.
Like everyone, I'm not holding my breath for us to get anything close to OP though.
What I do believe is that our codex is going to be full of attempts to make fluffy rules. Some quite good, and some so bad they will make you facepalm so hard that you permanently forget your great aunt Agnes' middle name.

Squirrel!
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 11:30

Scrz wrote:

Also archon Pedantix want's to point out that the armor is not merely black, it is light absorbing. Wink
Isn't that the same thing ? The color black is the result of the entire color spectrum being absorbed, and none of it being reflected.
The real "invisibility" technology is not light absorbing, but light deflecting. Look it up if you haven't, it's pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 12:23

Not deflecting, more like bending around the object. Mere deflecting would be a mirror.

Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 12:35

CptMetal wrote:
Not deflecting, more like bending around the object. Mere deflecting would be a mirror.

In the right location, mirrors can work too:

Spoiler:

But yeah, bending the light is what you really want. The alternative is absorbing it entirely and then projecting it from the opposite side.

However, there is something else to consider here - which is whether futuristic armies would still be relying entirely on light to light to see. It seems more likely that they'd want other forms of vision as well - so that they can find targets hidden by smoke, buildings, ruins or such. So, for example, units may also be employing thermal imaging devices (or using uplinks to aircraft with such devices).
Back to top Go down
Scrz
Sybarite
Scrz

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 13:18

Yay I have derailed a thread!

Mppqlmd wrote:
Scrz wrote:

Isn't that the same thing ? The color black is the result of the entire color spectrum being absorbed, and none of it being reflected.
The real "invisibility" technology is not light absorbing, but light deflecting. Look it up if you haven't, it's pretty awesome.

Yes more or less. The question lies in exactly how much radiation is reflected. There is quite a difference between black spray paint from the dollar store and Vantablack TM or other Carbon nanotube coatings that also stops radar from working. Obviously Mr. Pedantix should have specified "extremely energy absorbing".
There are other things than just the paint job that makes raven guard stealthier than your average bear too, like modifications that make their power armor almost noiseless, shielded cabling and suppression of heat signatures. None of which GW has intended to be explained scientifically in their science fantasy setting. One can also speculate about raven guard troopers having inherited some mild form of the monotasked psychic ability that Corax has, that makes people not see him unless he wants them to.
Leave the light deflection to the T'au. I'm going to absorb all the light and keep it. It is min now. Y'all can't have any. What a Face

What was the thread about? Oh yes our dex. I hope they take the new fluff in to consideration and gives a little bit more autonomy to the different cabals, now that the city is a little bit more fragmented. I read in the community page article "Your Codex is Coming" that GW is planning on making chapter tactic like rules for different armies, like special forgeworld rules for ad mech, necron dynasties, craftworlds special rules etc. I'd be surprised ( but not really ) if we were the only ones not to get in on that fun.

Squirrel!
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 13:40

Like we were the only ones not to get a Lord of War in 7e?

The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 13:51

Count Adhemar wrote:
Like we were the only ones not to get a Lord of War in 7e?

Clearly Vect was too busy doing cameos for Dawn of War.

As you can see, they really did justice to his tactical brilliance, his dais, and his position as supreme ruler of the Dark Eldar. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 17:48

CptMetal wrote:
A mirror is reflecting. I think deflecting is the same as bending light around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?   What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What things can we expect to be added when our codex drops?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next