THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at? Empty
PostSubject: Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?   Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07 2012, 15:29

Ok, back to this footdar problem Razz

For those who didnt read my last thread here, I have a friend who wants to get back into the game. That being said he always played footdar in the last two editions, and wants to translate that into this edition. I know its difficult to do, and all that jazz, but he wont be swayed. So I have delve back into the Eldar codex to find anything to make his life easier in an all foot list Razz

So that comes to my question. I have always dismissed the Heavy Weapon Platforms as a waste of points for more useful stuff, like Falcons, War Walkers, and Prisms, but after watching what the Warp Hunter can do in the Corsair list (all but one Eldar player in my LGS has switched over to the IA list... and I must say its pretty sweet) I think that D Cannon Platforms wouldnt be half bad. For 50 points (the same amount as a MM Attack Bike) you get a 2 wound D Cannon. They have a effective range of 36" (movement 6+24" range) and you can buy up to 3 platforms in one squad. On top of that since you only need 1 guardian in the squad to shoot all 3, you can take 5 wounds before the squad stop shooting. Put them in cover and they should provide a nice AT threat.

There is also the Vibro Cannon, which while I dont think its as good as the D Cannon, they still auto glance every tank, meaning they can stunlock a tank, while his other AT (looking to be in the form of a seer council) can go in for the kill. They also have a longer range than the D Cannon, so that is worth looking into their effectiveness.

Also if you can add a warlock (dont remember if you can) thats another wound, he has higher BS (so he can do the shooting) and give him conceal and bam. A nice cheeky coversave.

So for 150 points (without warlock... like I said I dont remember if one can go in there or not) is the 3 platforms worth their points???
Back to top Go down
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?   Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07 2012, 20:41

I remember them being good in previous editions, I haven't seen them in 5th yet. If I remember right, they don't show up because there are better units in heavy slot, not because they are not good. So, in a all foot list they would be a good choice, so are other platforms and wraithlord.

I would point out all of the platforms don't need los, so can be completely hidden. Support platforms can't move and shoot like heavy platforms. Shadow weavers are better most of time for points, as I understand it, longer range and much cheaper

Only 'bad' heavy choice is dark reapers, they were really good(old aspect warrior craftworld codex list with 20+ reaper would table foot marines, I never used that list but I saw it used), but have not fared well with edition change to cover save and current meta. They are still good against foot MEQ in open, just nobody uses foot MEQ anymore.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?   Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07 2012, 22:47

Eh, they're okay - for Footdar I'd note that all the competitive players run Wraithlords and/or War Walkers. If he's absolutely against that (and he ought to be at least for Wraithlords, since Footdar runs the Avatar - it's all MC goodness). Shuriken Cannons and Bright Lance packing Guardians are the usual tools for Foot shooting firebases.

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?   Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08 2012, 03:57

I've never had the Heavy slots open to try them out. I'm with Thor: War Walkers, Wraithlords, and Fire Prisms are way too effective. Back in the day(3rd edition) a player at the LFGS used the D-Cannon unit to scare the Bujesus out of anyone trying to get near his fire base.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?   Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08 2012, 15:13

My problem with Avatar and WLs is the amount of points spent on them, and how nerfed MCs are in this edition. With the loss of easy cover, and the amount of AT, ID, and poison weapons, MCs just dont cut it anymore. When you are spending over 800 points on something, you want it to make the points back anyway, which is something I dont see any of those 4 doing.

abjectus wrote:
I would point out all of the platforms don't need los, so can be completely hidden. Support platforms can't move and shoot like heavy platforms. Shadow weavers are better most of time for points, as I understand it, longer range and much cheaper

why dont they need LOS. If I remember right they arent ordanance shots. Is that a special rule for them???

Also why cant they move and shoot. Arent they like the guardian platforms???

I guess Ill have to write a list and show you guys what I want. Heh... Ill do it when I get home because there is no way I remember the points value here Razz

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?   Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08 2012, 20:31

Shadows Revenge wrote:
why dont they need LOS. If I remember right they arent ordanance shots. Is that a special rule for them???
They are barrage weapons. They don't need LoS.

Shadows Revenge wrote:
Also why cant they move and shoot. Arent they like the guardian platforms???
No, unfortunately they aren't. Pretty odd indeed.

I really like the D-cannon and their new models, but as mentioned the HS just have so many better choices there. Still, I would really like to try them out.

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?   Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08 2012, 22:00

The codex says the weapons are to heavy to move and fire, even from platform.
Even the vibrocannon can fire without line of sight. I didn't notice that one my self until I read it on a forum. It rolls to hit without picking a target then chooses a direction and hits every thing in that direction. So a target is never picked, there is nothing to check los to. Eldar faq states this also, as well of saying they can hit units locked in combat and friendly units.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?   Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavy Weapon Platforms where its at?
Page 1 of 1