THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Who actually plays Fantasy?

Go down 
+28
Calyptra
Ispa
ndphoto
the_dukes_scion
Chaeril
Archon Farath Mure
Gobsmakked
helvexis
DominicJ
Mngwa
baster
Devilish
Zaakath
Khaelir
Grendel007
Marquis Vaulkhere
Saintspirit
Ciirian
Shadows Revenge
Siticus the Ancient
V'rach
The_Burning_Eye
Ben_S
KnightSeerValkia
Cavash
Firdeth
Evil Space Elves
Sky Serpent
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Do you play Fantasy?
Yes - I regularly play it
Who actually plays Fantasy? Voteba1320%Who actually plays Fantasy? Voteba15
 20% [ 14 ]
Yeah - only when I get the chance
Who actually plays Fantasy? Voteba1333%Who actually plays Fantasy? Voteba15
 33% [ 23 ]
Nope - everyone round here plays 40k
Who actually plays Fantasy? Voteba137%Who actually plays Fantasy? Voteba15
 7% [ 5 ]
No - I just play 40k
Who actually plays Fantasy? Voteba1339%Who actually plays Fantasy? Voteba15
 39% [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 69

AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Who actually plays Fantasy? Empty
PostSubject: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 19:49

We don't really talk much Fantasy on this forum (obviously) but I wanted to know if any of our members actually play it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 20:24

Ogre Kingdoms and High Elves with a little sprinkle of Empire. Don't get to play more than a few times a year, maybe a tournament or two at best.
Back to top Go down
Firdeth
Hellion
Firdeth

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 21:33

I actually play it more than 40K as it is the more popular system around here. Dark Elves, Skaven and Vampire Counts though I hardly play the last two anymore as they aren't challenging to play against my friends' armies.

Last edited by Firdeth on Tue May 29 2012, 07:11; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 21:45

Even though I only play 40k, I would be inclined to start a Dark Elf army if there were more fantasy players in my area. I love the models and the game play looks good, but I can't justify spending loads on these models if I am never going to use them.
Back to top Go down
KnightSeerValkia
Kabalite Warrior
KnightSeerValkia

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 23:13

Played 2 games thus far, and round my end of the webway 40k is more popular overall but there is a decent Fantasy base. Also, armywise I have Skaven (1 Megaforce, Island of Blood and box of Stormvermin) and High Elves (Island of Blood from a friend who decided against playing before playing a singel game xP.

Reason I've not played more is down to wanting to get some painted units and also finding the time.
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 23:23

I selected 'when I get a chance'. Maybe slightly misleading, since I've not played in years - but that's pretty much true of 40k too (barring a 40k 5th ed intro game). I'm currently (slowly) trying to assemble/paint a fantasy army (Tomb Kings) alongside a 40k one...
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon May 28 2012, 23:43

Sadly I decided way back that I had to concentrate on one system or the other, my last fantasy blowout was painting 100 clanrats I picked up on the cheap when I worked at Warhammer world.

If I did go back to fantasy, it would have to be skaven, the furry little blighters are just so much more interesting than any of the other races.
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
V'rach
Hellion
V'rach

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeTue May 29 2012, 07:38

I play Dark Eldar and Dark Elves...Slight theme developing there. I actually prefer fantasy to 40k, dont get a chance to play it as often but i still play it a lot. The tipping point for fantasy over 40k for me is that:
1. you can have 32 man units of crossbowmen
2. Hydras are kinda cute.
3. I find fantasy much more tactical.
and......,
4. FANTASY HAS DRAGOOOOOONS!!! THEYRE SOOOOOOO CUUTE
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeTue May 29 2012, 14:30

I tried Fantasy, but just didn't find it to be my cup of tea. Painstakingly painting entire legions of dudes only to have them removed as soon as the enemy wizard cracks his knuckles and tosses some spells just doesn't seem fun to me. Random charge length also really didn't do it for me (I was playing Bretonnians, needless to say).

I simply prefer 40k more, both gameplay wise and aesthetically. I do love me some WHRP, though. Second edition of it is the most fun I've had with a pen and paper RPG.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeTue May 29 2012, 16:57

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
I tried Fantasy, but just didn't find it to be my cup of tea. Painstakingly painting entire legions of dudes only to have them removed as soon as the enemy wizard cracks his knuckles and tosses some spells just doesn't seem fun to me. Random charge length also really didn't do it for me (I was playing Bretonnians, needless to say).

Interesting to hear you dont like random charge lengths, my Brets love them because of swiftstride and no barding penalties!!! Razz

I play fantasy on a regular basis actually. Its pretty popular around here (although 40k is still king) So far I have a ton of points in Brets and about 1.5k in Wood Elves. I am also slowly but surely converting my way to a chaos dwarf army, but man that takes time (or the money to buy from FW... which I certainlly dont have)

The randomness really is a nice contrast to 40k for me, and with 5th becoming stale for me, Ive been finding myself playing more fantasy lately just for the fun I can build. Sadly my two armies are so outdated its always a tough battle to win, but I enjoy the challenge and it feels like how DE used to be before this codex, so I enjoy every second of it.
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeTue May 29 2012, 17:19

My first army ever was Orcs and Goblins. My army as got to be like 5,000pts or something if all added up. Haven't played it in years tho.
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeTue May 29 2012, 18:00

I play fantasy as much as 40k (sometimes more, sometimes less). I have Beastmen and Warriors of Chaos, and I have also begun on some smaller Dwarf and Nurgle daemon forces.
Back to top Go down
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeTue May 29 2012, 21:17

I purchased a ogre army but alas I strongly dislike the game. I am working on converting my ogres to ad-mech servitors for a Tech Guard army.
Back to top Go down
Grendel007
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05 2012, 06:23

WFB was my first.
I started out with brettonians, wich i recently sold rather than try and fix my paint job from when I was 12.
currently I have a skaven and a vampire counts army. the VC army I got around 8th edition, 2000 pts for 35$ at a garage sale.

I used to play it all the time until college, where most people only play 40k,
currently my area's focus is on 40k, warmachine, and malifaux, so I only occasionally get into a game, maybe a couple times a year
Back to top Go down
Khaelir
Slave
Khaelir

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31 2012, 18:59

I'm a WHFB player actually,
Dark Elves was my first army (and will always be my favorite) and also i'm a real Dark Elf fanatic ( i really discriminate High Elves in real life and in my play area those weaklings are high in number, i'm the only Dark Elf)

Besides i have Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Ogre Kingdoms ( going to a tournament with ogres) also bought 2-3 Tomb Kings but sold them after 4-5 years

After a couple of years i finally started 40k with Dark Eldar (naturally)

I don't like the uber magic system in 8th edition fantasy but it has Dark Elves Twisted Evil

Also it seems to be enjoying 40k with Dark Eldar
Back to top Go down
Zaakath
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 01:43

O&G mainly, but Lizardmen are a work in progress (for the last 6 years).
Back to top Go down
Devilish
Kabalite Warrior
Devilish

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 09:21

I've played mainly Fantasy. It was the first DE that lured me to branch out, but without friends that played I continued mainly with VC fantasy. Now with the new DE and bumping into firends I didn't know knew about 40k let alone played I'm playing both when I can.
Back to top Go down
baster
Kabalite Warrior
baster

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 06 2012, 11:22

been a dark elf for 25 years, the most challenging army lists to make and the most exciting to play....didnt play 40k til 6th as i have (in the past) believed that it was only the biggest gun wins, due to only playin games in a GW shop in appocalyse like games, no tactics in volved just biggest, toughest wins. opinion changed when i played properly lol.
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02 2013, 18:28

Im a Skaven and Wood Elf player here, but completely new to 40k Smile
I dont play regularly, only once in a while casually with friends who collect them too.
None of my friends play 40k though, so I have to admit that im a lot more experienced in the fantasy version than the sci-fi version silent
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02 2013, 18:31

Started on 40k, jumped to fantasy, quit, back to fantasy, and then back to 40k.
Back to top Go down
helvexis
Sybarite
helvexis

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 03 2013, 11:45

i play the occasional game as Lizards not a big fan of magic in 8th so i take lists i will have fun playing more than lists that are good ... if that occasionally means i am taking 3 Heavens Loremasters and casting 2-3 Comets of Cassandora a turn then so be it ... i love that Smile
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 03 2013, 20:46

It's amazing how nearly a year later, I have changed my mind, given Fantasy another shot and actually found it quite enjoyable in small scale games (1000pts). Since I don't like most of the old miniatures in the Canadian Elves line (and I really dislike Malekith), I now own a small force of Warriors of Chaos. I don't foresee playing WHFB nearly as much as 40k, though - I just like my evil space elf pirates and round bases (the pain to suppress urges to pose Fantasy models, the horrible pain! too much to accept any substitutes.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04 2013, 07:08

..... Canadian Elves .......

And who/what might these fearsome creatures be?
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04 2013, 12:50

Gobsmakked wrote:

Dark Elves. Geddit, 'cause Naggaroth is North America and it's all cold and stuff? I admit, it was much funnier in my own head. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04 2013, 14:56

Gobsmakked wrote:

Dark Elves. Geddit, 'cause Naggaroth is North America and it's all cold and stuff? I admit, it was much funnier in my own head. Razz

Heheh... in that case, Europe is a desert? Wink

I have played the Lord of the Rings game too, and its actually more similar to 40k than the fantasy Warhammer is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who actually plays Fantasy?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next