THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?

Go down 
+7
pehldog63
Bibitybopitybacon
Count Adhemar
Darklight
bleum937
Mushkilla
Erikjust
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Erikjust
Hellion
Erikjust

How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? Empty
PostSubject: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07 2012, 21:34

Maybe in the wrong place (i´m not sure) i wanted to know how do the new Chaos Space Marine army hold up against our army when compared against their previous codex? Have they become ridicules over powered (read Gray Knights) or is the tactic used against them pretty much the same as before with no great difference?
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07 2012, 21:54

They are a lot stronger, I had a game against them the other day (diagrams as usual):

BR11: The Black Buzzards VS CSM New Codex - 1500pts

Lots of discussion in there, about my thoughts on the new codex.

Hope that helps. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
bleum937
Slave

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10 2012, 08:57

I played a game against them today, although my friend was just playtesting the army so his army composition was probably not perfect. All of his units had Mark of Nurgle, which didn't work out too well for him given the abundance of poisoned weaponry carried by DE! The maulerfiend is definitely one to watch out for, it has the destructive power of an assault dreadnought or similar but it's much faster. With a 12" move and ignoring cover it can project a good threat range, as my reavers found out the hard way Sad

Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10 2012, 09:14

I play Chaos and Chaos demons quite often, but havnt got the chance to face off against them yet.
But I imagine I will play them a few matches this weekend, really looking forward to playing them as there hasnt been much of a challange playing against them so far.

I have looked through theyr codex and at first glance they didnt look that strong, but going through it abit deeper there are a few nastys in there. Havocs with Autocannon for example, and the Helldrake. There are others aswell. Still think we will do strong against them, but dont see it beeing as easy as before.

My biggest worry is actually the flyer, as I dont have any AA in my listis. I just have to rain fire on them.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10 2012, 09:46

My friend will be playing his first game with the new Chaos Codex tonight, probably against Tyranids. I'll keep an eye on the game to see if anything stands out that would be particularly dangerous to us.

Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10 2012, 14:23

Phil Kelly wrote it so you can bet it will be good without a lot of cheese. The helldrake sounds 6 kinds or nasty.
Back to top Go down
pehldog63
Kabalite Warrior
pehldog63

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10 2012, 23:02

I fought against them this past Saturday. The Maulerfiends are a pain with 8 str 8 shots. My main problem was the Helldrake but I went without AA support. The flame on the Helldrake shoot up my reavers and my units in cover and the vector strike killed my raiders and venoms. I did lose the game but It was only my 4th game with DE and 2nd game in 6th.
Back to top Go down
Bookkeeper
Hellion
Bookkeeper

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11 2012, 12:50

The new Chaos seems to have several options to disregard cover, which is unpleasant news for us. Reading the WD battle report, there were several troop blobs of 20 guys, either cultists or CSM - I am, frankly, less concerned about massed infantry than plentiful armor, but trying to shift 20 Space Marines is going to be Excedrin Headache number 40,000
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11 2012, 14:08

Bookkeeper wrote:
The new Chaos seems to have several options to disregard cover, which is unpleasant news for us. Reading the WD battle report, there were several troop blobs of 20 guys, either cultists or CSM - I am, frankly, less concerned about massed infantry than plentiful armor, but trying to shift 20 Space Marines is going to be Excedrin Headache number 40,000

Mark of Slaanesh, Icon of Excess gives them Feel No Pain to make it even more fun.
Back to top Go down
LTKage
Hellion
LTKage

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 02:15

1000 Points

Termi Lord w/ stuff
5 Terminators w/ Combi weapons
40 CSM
2 Obliterators, possibly with Marks

There's a guy a list like for an escalation league. Haven't played it yet, but it looks annoying. Chewing through all those bodies seems like a difficult task, even with Jetfighters. Imagining twenty man MEQ squads with FNP or Fearless is just....ugh...

Or Noise Marine spam. STR 8 AP 3 template that ignores cover is dirty. Much more expensive but insanely good against things like Orks, Tyranids, and other armies that often rely on cover saves...such as the Dark Eldar. Coupled with a few Obliterators and Havocs and you have a shooting army par excellence.
Back to top Go down
Bookkeeper
Hellion
Bookkeeper

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 02:24

LTKage wrote:
1000 Points
Or Noise Marine spam. STR 8 AP 3 template that ignores cover is dirty. Much more expensive but insanely good against things like Orks, Tyranids, and other armies that often rely on cover saves...such as the Dark Eldar. Coupled with a few Obliterators and Havocs and you have a shooting army par excellence.

If I've read the scuttlebutt correctly, CSM has a number of things that gleefully ignore cover, which has me going back to Flickerfields on my transports.
Back to top Go down
LTKage
Hellion
LTKage

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 04:16

If you play against Slaneesh armies, lots of Dragons, or Havocs totting flakk missiles, then certainly yes. Seeing how good Noise Marines are at shooting, I am very tempted to give them a try.
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 07:34

Pretty sure flak missiles don't ignore cover (they have skyfire, but not interceptor). Taking flamer on the Dragon is a noob trap is it makes it useless for the main purpose you want to take one ( to shoot down other flyers, as Havocs with flak missiles are really expensive, and usually better off with much cheaper autocannons). However, with the s8 autocannon and s7 vector strike it can tear lightly armoured vehicles (including most other flyers) apart. Blastmasters are really nasty, but very expensive (regular sonic weapons less so, as while they ignore cover, their max range is quite short and easier for us to avoid). and you need 10 models to take even 1. Basic CSM are possible to spam in large numbers, making them potentially very hard to remove, but they're worse than loyalists unless you buy a ton of upgrades which make them too expensive to spam.

Now, I play Chaos (used to be my main army before I converted to DE), and I can say the codex is a lot better than the old one, but it seems quite similar to our codex in being fairly balanced. There are some nasty units but I don't see any really overpowered I-win buttons. Personally I'll probably run Typhus, a big unit of zombies (fearless cultists with fnp, very hard to remove when sitting on an objective) and small units of plague marines (they're too expensive to wield in larger squads). That seems like a solid list and more importantly I want to do a Nurgle-themed list (tho I'm not sure how to convert the new daemon engines to look Nurglesque).

LTKage
Hellion
LTKage

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12 2012, 08:40

My bad about the Flakk--only army I play against that has Skyfire is IG and Hydras ignore cover No .

I saw noise marines in a test game against a guard blob on a 4x4. The Guard Guy almost a rage quit until he realized how salvo works. I'm not a hyper competitive player by any means but IMO that Noise Marines are just dirty against a few armies. Imagine--your opponent takes Huron, gives them infiltrate, and puts them in cover. Now you have to deal with ten MEQ guys that ignore cover, have FNP, are Fearless, and are in cover. Nothing to sneeze at. Then you have to deal with the other infiltrated squads.

I'm nervous about CSM blobs because I played against a Space Wolf army with about 75 guys at 1500. I find it hard to imagine killing my way through something like that every week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?   How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do the new Chaos Space Marines hold up against our army?
Page 1 of 1