THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Deep strike

Go down 
+7
colinsherlow
Thor665
Tiri Rana
Tony Spectacular
Dra'al Nacht
Braden Campbell
DarkGregson
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DarkGregson
Slave
DarkGregson

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29 2013, 23:04

In the rule book it states that any unit that arrives from deep strike can fire normally, but vehicles arriving from deep strike count as moving at cruising speed .

So my question is this. If a transport arrives from deep strike can its passengers fire normally (full BS).

Braden Campbell
Kabalite Warrior
Braden Campbell

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 00:21

Nope. They count as having been embarked on a transport that just moved at cruising speed during the movment phase. Therefore, when they shoot, they will only be able to snape fire (still...better than nothing).
Back to top Go down
Dra'al Nacht
Kabalite Warrior

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 02:29

Braden Campbell wrote:
Nope. They count as having been embarked on a transport that just moved at cruising speed during the movment phase. Therefore, when they shoot, they will only be able to snape fire (still...better than nothing).
Nowhere in the rules does it state that models disembarking from a Deep Striking vehicle are restricted to Snap Fiiring.

Deep Strike, BRB pg36: "In that turn's Shooting phase, these units can fire (or Run) as normal, and obviously count as having moved in the previous Movement phase."

The term 'these units' refers to the units discussed in the previous paragraph including models that have disembarked from Deep Striking vehicles. Note that it states "as normal"

Transports, BRB pg78: "Models firing out of a vehicle that moved at Cruising Speed can only fire Snap Shots that turn."

Note that it says "firing out of", not "that disembarked from".

While your rules extrapolation is logical, it is not supported by the rules themselves. If you're making a 40k rules decision based on logic, rather than the rules themselves, I'm afraid you're playing the wrong game! Wink
Back to top Go down
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 02:35

I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but I don't have the book in front of me. Aren't our vehicles considered moving at cruising speed from 6" to 12"? If so, disembarkation is right out, as you've moved more than 6". Or am I way off base?

Kabalite Warrior

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 02:41

Tony Spectacular wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but I don't have the book in front of me. Aren't our vehicles considered moving at cruising speed from 6" to 12"? If so, disembarkation is right out, as you've moved more than 6". Or am I way off base?
Yes, you're right. The original question has arisen from the fact that Deep Striking vehicles "count as" having moved at Cruising Speed.

(Note to Mods: Perhaps this thread belongs in "Rules: Queries & Questions")
Back to top Go down
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 02:46

It probably should. But if cruising speed = moving 6" - 12", and Deep Striking = cruising speed, then...profit?

Sybarite
Tiri Rana

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 03:06

Models can disembark from a deep striking transport, because the rules explicitly say so.
BRB p.36 wrote:
...deep striking units may [...] disembark from a deep striking Transport vehicle...

These models count as having moved and aren't inside a vehicle, so normal rules apply. And normal rules are, that it doesn't matter, how far they moved, or if they were embarked on a Transport: Not embarked models fire at full BS (unless firing heavy or ordnance weapons of course).

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 04:54

Moving this to rules.

Had to use spooky text for official mod blather. Looks like it has been answered pretty well already though.

Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 06:33

Doesn't our retrofire jets state that a unit arriving from deep strike can not disembark? Or is that just me thinking that's what it says? Sorry no book in front me at the moment

Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 06:52

Dra'al Nacht wrote:
Braden Campbell wrote:
Nowhere in the rules does it state that models disembarking from a Deep Striking vehicle are restricted to Snap Fiiring.

No where did the above poster mention disembarking the squad. He specifically asked if the passengers could fire at full BS after arriving from deepstrike.

DarkGregson wrote:
So my question is this. If a transport arrives from deep strike can its passengers fire normally (full BS).

To which Campbell gave the right answer, the vehicle counts as moving at cruising speed and therefore passengers can only snapfire.

If they disembark they can fire normally. Though that wasn't part of the original question.

Dra'al Nacht wrote:
While your rules extrapolation is logical, it is not supported by the rules themselves. If you're making a 40k rules decision based on logic, rather than the rules themselves, I'm afraid you're playing the wrong game! Wink

Campbell explanation was spot on. I would recommend you read the original poster's question properly in future. Wink

colinsherlow wrote:
Doesn't our retrofire jets state that a unit arriving from deep strike can not disembark? Or is that just me thinking that's what it says? Sorry no book in front me at the moment

Yes, retrofire jets state models cannot disembark.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Dra'al Nacht
Kabalite Warrior

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 07:04

Mushkilla wrote:
His explanation was spot on. I would recommend you read the original poster's question properly in future. Wink
Oops. My mistake. I did in fact misread the original question. Apologies to all. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 09:23

Just to sum up. If you deep strike a transport vehicle it counts as moving at crusing speed, which would normally mean that passengers cannot disembark and can only snapfire. The rules however explicitly state that passengers can disembark in this situation and furthermore, if they do so, they can fire at full BS (unless firing heavy weapons etc).

Yay for rules consistency! \o/

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 09:30

But if they don't disembark they can only fire snapshot. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 10:44

But it they do they can...

Razz

Lay_Ayanesha
Hellion

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 11:54

I've another deep strike related question. If my vehicles are coming via deep strike they can shoot, that is clear. But can they make their 18" move in the shooting phase, instead of shooting?
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30 2013, 11:59

Yup, now in 6th they can, because the flatout move is done in the shooting phase.

Sponsored content

Deep strike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deep strike   Deep strike I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep strike
Page 1 of 1