THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Aching back

Go down 
+8
The Eye of Error
shadowseercB
Massaen
Skyboard surfer
Ciirian
Azdrubael
Evil Space Elves
Tony Spectacular
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02 2013, 00:54

How do you, my fellow Archons, keep from getting sore, aching backs/hips/feet/necks after a long day of tabletop war? I'm just now trying out Superfeet insoles. Hopefully they'll do the trick.

Do you have any tips, tricks, or advice for alleviating gametime agony? Pain is for the enemy, not for us!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02 2013, 01:23

As a guy that deals with this every day:
Aching back 2012-07-12_17-03-17_187
I can offer a couple of pieces of advice. First, bend your knees slightly when at the table. This places your head/torso more evenly over your hips and feat taking pressure off of any disks that may be a bit iffy. When your legs are stiff and you spend the time bent over a table you put more pressure on you r spine. You can try elevating your feet when lying down (on a couch or bed) after you play. This takes pressure off of the lumbar section of your spine. You can also try stretches such as lying on your back, pull your knees to your chest and hold.

Hope this stuff helps!
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02 2013, 05:17

Feel pleasure from pain... =)

On a serious note go do some sport on a regular basis, developed muscles will prevent you from standing in an unnatural for human body way, where most of the wieght goes to your bones, not to your muslces.

Developed muscles that surrounds your spine are also what allows you to stand for prolonged periods of time without fatigue.

I recomend that you do hyperextension excersice with wieght and do some pull ups.
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02 2013, 06:06

Thats one of the things that prevent me from getting games in. I've had a spinal fusion and it hurts to stand / sit for any period of time and local game store is about 30 min car ride away. So I feel ya man.
Back to top Go down
Skyboard surfer
Kabalite Warrior
Skyboard surfer

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02 2013, 08:44

In one word: Yoga

I used to get bad lower back pain. Yoga (in this case Hatha Yoga) sorted it out.

I've good stuff about Pilates too but never tried it myself.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02 2013, 12:30

Good pair of shoes is a god send, especially for tournies.

As my spine looks very similar to ESE I echo his comments as well!
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
shadowseercB
Wych
shadowseercB

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02 2013, 16:33

Im tall and the only problem I have is that I have to constatnly bend over.
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 01:05

Invest in a folding stool....

Seriously though, everything said before plus copies amounts of advil and whisky always works for me...
Back to top Go down
http://eyeoferror.blogspot.com/
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 01:44

good shoes are a must, massaen hit that on the orthotic insert... Laughing I had a knee replaced last year (rugby can do that to you) and I find if I wear sandals in the summer and try to game, my back/knee/attitude get very sore.

When I built my table at home I purposely built it at a height of 36 inches, so the bending over is at a minimum.

Cost was minimal, time was well spent with friends pizza and beer, and it makes things easier all around.
Back to top Go down
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 02:02

Thanks for the advice, everyone. ESE: ouch! Man, sorry to see that.

I'm actually pretty fit, cyclist and runner, and I work at a neuro hospital on a stroke unit, so I'm constantly lifting and moving the obese. I could use more work on my core, but so say we all, right? I definitely need to try yoga, not just for gaming but for life. But geez...it's so freaking BORING! Plus, my pain isn't lower, it's mid. Around T5. Working on an ambulance for years does a brutal number on your back. So does getting hit by cars half a dozen times while working as a courier. Any question as to why I picked DE? Idea

I got some otc orthotics (the aforementioned superfeet), which I'm going to be trialing at a local tourney next weekend.

EoE: Ibuprofen and bourbon is a huge part of my coping strategy, but man...those third round decisions...
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 02:11

You guys know nothing about back pain if you haven't played a six player game for eleven (eleven. Ee-leh-vunn. 11.) hours. Without a table. On the floor. Sitting on your knees.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 02:27

Kinnay wrote:
You guys know nothing about back pain if you haven't played a six player game for eleven (eleven. Ee-leh-vunn. 11.) hours. Without a table. On the floor. Sitting on your knees.

I've done that! (Seriously)
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 02:51

Ditto!!!
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 10:31

Kinnay wrote:
eleven. Ee-leh-vunn. 11.

Could you please repeat that?
Back to top Go down
Skyboard surfer
Kabalite Warrior
Skyboard surfer

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 10:44

Tony Spectacular wrote:
I definitely need to try yoga, not just for gaming but for life. But geez...it's so freaking BORING! Plus, my pain isn't lower, it's mid. Around T5. ...

A final word on that, try a few different teachers and/or styles - they are all different (my regular guy is 70+ and hilarious, we have a hoot every class) and talk to the teachers about your back before the class. Don't be put off by the image!

Good luck.

...And I've done those marathon games kneeling on the floor, but not since I was a teenager, I like my creature comforts too much Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 14:20

Mushkilla wrote:
Could you please repeat that?

Ha! Scottish. Very Happy Finally I know where the guys of Beasts of War are from! I couldn't figure out for the love of Flash Gordon what their accent was. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 15:04

Kinnay wrote:
Ha! Scottish. Very Happy Finally I know where the guys of Beasts of War are from! I couldn't figure out for the love of Flash Gordon what their accent was. Razz

Their from Northern Ireland. If you youtube "Belfast accent" you should get something that sounds like Darrell from Beasts of War. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 18:15

Moving this to GW General....
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Sponsored content

Aching back Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aching back   Aching back I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aching back
Page 1 of 1