THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Look out, internet...

Go down 
+3
Thor665
Evil Space Elves
Mr Believer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

Look out, internet... Empty
PostSubject: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 00:09

GW have started doing downloadable tactical advice now, with the Wraithknight being the first to be scrutinised in what is implied to be an ongoing series. Whilst it does only cost £1.49, isn't this exactly the sort of thing that used to be published on the website for free? There's no mention made of who wrote it. I hope it's that guy who made that hilarious allied Eldar/Dark Eldar army, lost the game and then said what he would have done differently would be to make the Dark Eldar the primary detachment (essentially, he'd pick a different army.)

What's the betting that the main piece of tactical advice is to buy another Wraithknight? Wink
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 01:27

Mr Believer wrote:
I hope it's that guy who made that hilarious allied Eldar/Dark Eldar army, lost the game and then said what he would have done differently would be to make the Dark Eldar the primary detachment (essentially, he'd pick a different army.)
This quote basically made my day Razz 

Mr Believer wrote:
What's the betting that the main piece of tactical advice is to buy another Wraithknight? Wink
Actually, they're 200% more efficient when you buy two additional Wraithknights. Razz 
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 02:16

This promises to be pretty hilarious no matter what.
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 13:54

Evil Space Elves wrote:
Actually, they're 200% more efficient when you buy two additional Wraithknights. Razz 
That's math hammer in action right there Laughing 
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 14:50

I've always found it surprising that codecii don't have at least a little tactical advice, if only from the author to show his intent. How did Cruddace envision Pyrovores being used?

When C:DE came out, with 2 pages of at least a few ideas, I expected that to become a new trend; one can't expect much strategic advice because it depends on your meta, rule changes and the like, but there will be some ideas, even if only for newcomers, that transcend these changes. Multi-IC Deathstars will always bring benefits, understanding the difference between min and maxed squads, the benefits of MSU vs resilience etc.

I think Kelly got it about right in our book; I wonder why no other codex writers (that I am aware of) followed suit? (Or more likely, why the idea was editorially scrapped)
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 15:02

Do they not do that anymore?
Grey Knight do and they are newer than us arent they?
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 16:19

commandersasha wrote:

I think Kelly got it about right in our book; I wonder why no other codex writers (that I am aware of) followed suit? (Or more likely, why the idea was editorially scrapped)
They used to do it in the relevant codex, or at least they did in the ork one - the third edition codex had three different strategies, with pictures (to make it simple enough for the more orky minded player to understand!) I enjoyed reading about them, as well as seeing examples of other armies.

Possibly they included it in the Dark Eldar codex because they're more difficult to use well than some other races - they don't want people collecting 500 points worth of stuff then losing every game and deciding not to get more. If they tell people they're difficult to use it gives them an excuse when they lose, and satisfaction when they don't.
Back to top Go down
Sand Viper
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 21:01

Mr Believer wrote:
Evil Space Elves wrote:
That's math hammer in action right there Laughing 
Lol's aside I have a vague recollection of reading about a military theory developed in WWI called the "Lanchester Square"; the idea at the most simplistic being that having two tanks instead of 1 doesn't double the impact (i.e. a 100% increase) it actually squares it; you double the firepower AND double the resources the opposition has to commit to remove them.

Something like that. Memory hazy. Am an old person. etc. Smile

Sand Viper
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 21:03

The difference between two forces isnt force A minus force B
Its force A squared minus force B squared

I think
Back to top Go down
Sand Viper
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14 2013, 21:28

And going back to the OP, yes GW used to do this sort of article for free on the website and even in White Dwarf. One of my favourite articles is from around the time of the 4th ed marine codex release discussing the role of terminators in different types of army builds.

I guess may be the customers who buy these articles aren't aware of sites like the Dark City where tactical information is available and discussed for free!
Back to top Go down
Mayk0l
Hellion
Mayk0l

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 20 2013, 23:13

It's hard to find good tactics on the internet anywhere, let alone from GW. I doubt it'll be any more than the usual 'Dark Lances have long range, so use them from far away' kind of tactics.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21 2013, 07:27

That would actually be an upgrade from their usual tactic articles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Look out, internet...   Look out, internet... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Look out, internet...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DISCUSSION

:: GW General Discussion
-