THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions

Go down 
+4
Evil Space Elves
Count Adhemar
SleepyPillow
Sky Serpent
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions Empty
PostSubject: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30 2014, 21:35

So unless you've not kept up to date with recent rumours and subsequent unveiling on the Games Workshop website, White Dwarf has changed format.

A guy called Monty has done a video review of the new format(s) which I found very useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cqFbTa5qOI
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
SleepyPillow
Kabalite Warrior
SleepyPillow

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30 2014, 21:52

I'm speechless. In a bad way.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30 2014, 22:14

Well that has at least made it an easy decision on whether to subscribe to Visions.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31 2014, 04:00

Geese Louise Monty: whine much?  Razz 
1. I don't get the weekly format for a printed publication. Just doesn't seem to be a need for it. Is there a lot of breaking news content requiring weekly updates?

2. I would get the idea of the Visions mag if it was published quarterly.
Cons: The editing is a bit questionable(not worth whining over the rotated pictures like our Monty did though  Evil or Very Mad ) with all of the chopped up battle shots. Reeks of filler. Generally a bit scattered and slapped together.

Pros: The pictures of the Golden Daemon entries IS exactly what painters will really pay to look at. There some images in there that actually makes me want to buy this weird publication. The pre-Heresy Emperor's Children that our whiner host criticizes at roughly the 6:30 mark actually look very compelling. I guess I'm a sucker for pretty models and enjoy the painting end of the hobby.

I actually like that the Kit Bash section has more images than text. Sorry Monty-I don't want to read a description of a conversion and would rather have several close up shots showing the fit of the converted parts.  Razz 

All in all it seems a little sloppy for a pair of premier issues. I won't be running out to subscribe, though I've never been a regular subscriber of WD over the last 20+ years.
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31 2014, 23:36

Monty is indeed a bit overly whiny when it comes to the "curious rotation" as he calls it. You sure don't have to be that picky. However, looking at the content presented in the video and I mean he literally went through every single page of visions, I have to agree that this is a bad joke. As much as I am a sucker for prettily painted models, there is absolutely no way I'm paying 10EUR for a sloppy edited picture book with lots of duplicate images. I'd actually buy something like a GD painting special with lots of closeups of entirely GD level models, but what is being presented there is just that bad, especially at that price.

And Weekly is basically a styled up news letter advertising new products a la "buy me now, I'm new!"... for 3.20EUR / 4$ ... no thanks, I can get much better info for free on the internet.

Not that I have bought any issues in the past years, but now I'd officially state White Dwarf or any of GW hobby magazines as dead.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31 2014, 23:56

Dogmar wrote:
As much as I am a sucker for prettily painted models, there is absolutely no way I'm paying 10EUR for a sloppy edited picture book with lots of duplicate images.

Yikes, I didn't see the price tag for that. Good gravy no way  Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
Jack Frost
Kabalite Warrior
Jack Frost

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01 2014, 09:37

They have buried it.
Back to top Go down
http://jmsjacobsen@gmail.com
Jack Frost
Kabalite Warrior
Jack Frost

PostSubject: Sure   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01 2014, 09:55

[quote="Sky Serpent"]So unless you've not kept up to date with recent rumours and subsequent unveiling on the Games Workshop website, White Dwarf has changed format.

A guy called Monty has done a video review of the new format(s) which I found very useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cqFbTa5qOI[/quote
useful... but has marbles in his mouth.
All those fracturing hearts have broken.
Back to top Go down
http://jmsjacobsen@gmail.com
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04 2014, 08:43

A friend brought round the new issue of Visions the other day, and I looked through it and basically said "Is that it?" I can't believe they're honestly expecting people to pay that much for it, they're insane. I actually quite liked the revamped White Dwarf as it was, even if there was way too much product promotion and the battle reports were a shadow of their former selves. They used to be the highlight of the magazine for me, but they just don't put the same degree of effort in that they used to, breaking the game into beginning, middle and end instead of turn by turn, usually eschewing the narrative style that I loved.

It seems bizarre to go to all the effort of shaking up the format of the magazine just to change it all again less than twenty issues later. Admittedly they're sort of just splitting it into two separate publications, but I can't understand why. £2.40 doesn't sound too bad though. I assumed it would be more like £3.50, so that at least is something. "Less text" makes me sad though. I thought it was supposed to be more hobbyist, does that just mean more pictures to them?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04 2014, 09:10

Cancelled my subscription yesterday. I have no interest whatsoever in Warhammer Visions as there's this thing called the internet that I can use to find pictures of painted miniatures for free.
Back to top Go down
Rob Anyone
Slave
Rob Anyone

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04 2014, 13:32

I'm with everyone else, might invest in a weekly occasionally if has some relevance to an army I play or may do in the future but other than that I'm not blown away. As a friend pointed out the pricing is stupid, if you buy all 4 issues in a month, then it's £9.60 for 120 pages. The older White Dwarf was £5.50 for 150 pages or so. hmmm.

I think Evil Space Elves makes a fair point about the Golden Daemon having some appeal, but I can't help but feel like White Dwarf is dead. And what about the next issue, surely they can't reprint more Golden Daemon continually?

They've missed a trick here, what happened to the old style battle reports, campaigns, tale of four gamers etc. ? If they'd made a bumper monthly with lots of old favourite articles, campaigns, special rule releases etc. it'd fly off the shelves, hell if it went quarterly (because apparently making a decent monthly is too difficult) I'd still buy it. What we don't need is a picture book when Google does a perfectly good job!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions   Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Youtube review of WD Weekly and Warhammer: Visions
Page 1 of 1