THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Fortifications

Go down 
+5
Skari
Squidmaster
Count Adhemar
DEfan
Jimsolo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 06:47

So, what do you all think about Fortifications and their potential uses for Dark Eldar? Paging through Stronghold Assault leaves me salivating, since I'm a big fan of the idea of automated weapons, and although static defenses kind of go against the general trend of the army, I think that fortifications could offer a lot to the Dark Eldar.
Back to top Go down
DEfan
Sybarite
DEfan

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 09:16

I saw a tyranid player use a bastion to really good effect. He hid biovores and important synapse creatures behind the building and it proved to be a great nuisance as a LOS blocker. The Heavy Bolter emplacements provided handy kills throughout. The only think for me though is that I hate imperial themed scenery so a scratch built DE tower is the only fortification I would consider. Infinity have some great looking walls for defense lines, too.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 09:33

Fortifications are more fragile now, as they can be glanced to death in 7e. In the past though I have used bastions and bunkers as firebases for Eldar allies. Specifically Dark Reapers with Farseer. They have proven to be deadly but would not be as effective in 7e due to the nerfs to skyfire weapons (BS1 at ground targets) and the difficulty at getting psychic powers off.

I have also experimented with a Void Shield Generator, which allowed me to deploy a whole fleet of vehicles out in the open in relative safety and get a decent alpha strike in even when going second. Against some armies though, those with capacity to take down shields easily, this would be less effective.

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 09:51

If I may.

There is a serious falw, I have found, with Fortifications.
I've been running my Bastion recently, and have come to the conclusion that it is simply too easy to avoid! In both games, my opponent was able to simply keep anything vital well away from it and not worry too much. Sure it got a few pot shots off, but overall it and the unit within seemed a little wasted.

Defence Lines I've usually found to be good, but in my opinion the only reason to take one in an army like ours is for a Comm Relay. I always use one with a Line, and have one on the bastion I've been using, and the ability to reroll reserves has been pivotal.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Skari
Wych
Skari

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 12:16

If I take a bastion, its mainly for the LOS blocking. You can use it to really mitigate enemy shooting against out raiders.

in 7th:

- They must be placed in deployment zone, no more half table.
- They have hullpoints (less durable vs glances)

I have been seriously considering a skyshield with the upgrade to start a flier on it. I love the voidraven and the razorwing, I hate when they dont show up, being able to start it on the table would be awesome!

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 16:21

Although I haven't tried it in 7th, at the tail end of 6th I had great success with the Fortress of Redemption. With Wracks as troops, they were able to crew the weapons platforms for almost nothing, points-wise, while still not taking up valuable elites slots. The large, long building made good cover for my vehicles first turn, and drew the fire of my enemy's anti-tank weaponry.

I have had another idea in mind for a while. I've only used it once, and it worked out so-so. By deploying any fortification that can take building upgrades, and putting a haemmy with a webway portal inside, you can get your portal deployed further down the board then you could have with any kind of transport.

I've been toying around with the idea of adding some big guns to make up for the areas where our arsenal lags behind.
Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 18:19

@ Skari, would you be able to provide a page # or section reference regarding fortifications being bound to your DZ please?

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 18:41

Skari wrote:
If I take a bastion, its mainly for the LOS blocking. You can use it to really mitigate enemy shooting against out raiders.

in 7th:

- They must be placed in deployment zone, no more half table.
- They have hullpoints (less durable vs glances)

I have been seriously considering a skyshield with the upgrade to start a flier on it. I love the voidraven and the razorwing, I hate when they dont show up, being able to start it on the table would be awesome!

Thought the flyer had to have the hover type to start on the Skyshield.
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych
Skari

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 18:44

Ill have to double check the skyshield hover thing. And ill look for that deployment reference. When I get home tonight.

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 08 2014, 23:06

I played a 3 way 750 point game two weekends ago. And nevertheless I lost 3 units in 3 exploding buildings out of the 4 buildings that got destroyed that game the 3 I were in esploded and I lost my HQ and 2 units. SO with that in mind I will keep everything I own as far away as any fortification/building forever.

Hellion
DrakeHarkonnen

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09 2014, 03:10

I've had some good results with the Void Shield Generator. If it saves one ravager it has already made it points back and most armies are not fast enough to make it work in their favor
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09 2014, 05:11

I've got a couple of old pulp carton spacers that I've been meaning to spray paint grey and convert into Void Shields. I may give this a shot before too much longer.
Back to top Go down
mandragora
Slave
mandragora

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09 2014, 07:02

Skyshield Landing Pad + Duke's deep strike ability looks like a nice combination. Soon I am going to give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09 2014, 07:36

That could definitely be nasty. Deep Striking your units off of it and then sending them elsewhere on the next turn to wreak havoc? World's least fun trampoline.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fortifications
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-