THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Combined Arms Detachment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

Combined Arms Detachment Empty
PostSubject: Combined Arms Detachment   Combined Arms Detachment I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11 2014, 22:41

Since supplements and the parent codex are considered part of the same faction, when you take a combined arms detachment (which only specifies that all units chosen must have the same faction) does that allow you to take 1 hq choice from each book for relic/artifact purposes?

Similarly, when a supplement has unique rules for a troop choice or something, can you take the troops from the supplement but choose your hq from the parent codex?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Combined Arms Detachment   Combined Arms Detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12 2014, 01:39

I don't have the Coven supplement - but the thing is, what you're describing, is just a goal of taking units that are already in the codex - and you can do that just fine.

What you want, however, is to take them with their special and different rules. I'm pretty sure you're obligated to field them within a given detachment or formation from the supplement in order to access/unlock those rules.

Otherwise, they would just be fielded as the normal models from the base codex.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

PostSubject: Re: Combined Arms Detachment   Combined Arms Detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12 2014, 03:20

I haven't gotten the coven supplement yet myself either. I had two tournament games with my DE today and they went great, but next Saturday is 2 rounds of a 1000 point Purge the Alien setup and I don't think my DE will stack up well there till I get some more coven units. I was actually thinking of buying the Farsight Enclave supplement for it and was looking at the Chaos supplements I already have for similarities in rules. Long story short, here is the wording for the Chaos supplements and I'm half assuming the DE and Tau supplements will say something similar.

"A Black Legion army is chosen using the army list presented in Codex: Chaos Space Marines. It also has a series of supplemental rules that can be used in Chaos Space Marines. Note that you can only use the options from one codex supplement when choosing a detachment."

There is also a line "When choosing a Black Legion detachment, units of chosen are troops choices instead of elite choices".

The problem is there no longer exists a such thing as a Black Legion detachment. According to the new rules, I can't run an allied detachment of Black Legion with a primary detachment of CSM anymore either because they made them the same faction which the rulebook prevents. It is also interesting to me that the rule specifies only using the rules from one supplement for choosing a detachment and not just using the rules from one book.

I don't know if having any of that specific information affects the way you'd view the matter, but I figured it was worth a shot. The main thing that caught my eye was that the combined arms detachment on page 122 only has the restriction that "all units chosen must have the same faction" which would occur if I took chosen as troops from the black legion while taking my hq from the standard csm codex for their relics.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Combined Arms Detachment   Combined Arms Detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12 2014, 04:00

Well, first off, the CSM stuff is 6th edition, not 7th, and is likely worded differently.

The real issue though is - what unlocks the different Warlord gear and PfP chart from the supplement, that is what you want. You can take Haems all day, but there isn't a Haem in the supplement, what there is are alternate rules for a Haem, and what you want is to take a Haem that can use those rules, and that wargear, and those warlord traits, et al.

I suspect the answer is, to access that stuff, you are obligated to take a detachment or formation as presented in that book - meaning you cannot do what you are stating desire to do.

It might be worded differently, I don't know, but I'd feel pretty safe putting money on it. It is exactly how the Space Wolf supplement worked, and I see no reason to expect different for us.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

PostSubject: Re: Combined Arms Detachment   Combined Arms Detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12 2014, 12:42

Yeah, the Coven one might be worded differently since it is written with 7th in mind. The one I'm looking to use is actually another 6th edition one too though since I want to use a standard tau hq with crisis troops from the farsight enclave. I would be interested in seeing if there were also combinations to use with the coven and space wolves supplements eventually too once I get those since I play all 4 of these armies, but I suspect as you do that things are clarified better in terms of detachments for the new ones. The pfp chart in particular seems like it would make it impossible.

Maybe they'll faq it later to specify what the detachments and requirements are for the chaos, tau, and eldar supplements.

Ah well, if it doesn't seem like that's the intention then I won't lose any sleep over it. I just like having as many options as possible and to use different builds from game to game. Thanks for the input, it's hard not to read rules the way you want so I always like to hear input from a separate party.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Combined Arms Detachment   Combined Arms Detachment I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12 2014, 16:21

I would go look at the FAQ then - for the Tau they basically changed all instances of 'Tau army' and 'your army' with 'Farsight Enclaves Detachment'.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/Farsight_Enclaves_v1.1_May14.pdf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Combined Arms Detachment   Combined Arms Detachment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Combined Arms Detachment
Page 1 of 1