THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!

Go down 
+7
thesaltedwound
Count Adhemar
Mahakala
Caspaar
lelith
Balisong
Skari
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Skari
Wych
Skari

Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! Empty
PostSubject: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 02:35

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Balisong
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 04:59

Good batrep!

I have to ask though, did you purposely avoid using Webway Portals/Ossifiers and some of the other new wargear?
Back to top Go down
lelith
Sybarite
lelith

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 07:35

Wow that's such an epic win! Good job, Skari!

Caspaar
Kabalite Warrior
Caspaar

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 11:13

Uuugh, I want to watch this....stupid work. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mahakala
Slave
Mahakala

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 12:52

For people that complain about the Maelstrom missions, this BatRep is the perfect example as to why we should be WANTING to play these missions. Our army excels at this type of warfare.

Nice Job, Skari. And FWIW, your voice is constantly running in my head when I play. Scourges just sound so much more evil the way you pronounce it! You are the Howard Cosell of the 40k world!

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!' Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha..."
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 13:00

Mahakala wrote:
For people that complain about the Maelstrom missions, this BatRep is the perfect example as to why we should be WANTING to play these missions.  Our army excels at this type of warfare. 

I've only played two Maelstrom games but it's been a whitewash both times (in my favour). With some tweaks, Maelstrom can be excellent, especially for us.

thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 14:31

I didn't know people did complain about using Maelstrom! Take your strategic traits and win all day.

I always enjoy your videos, Skari! Good work Smile

The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 14:38

I find the arbitrary nature of the objectives in Maelstrom particularly frustrating, since the idea of tactical objectives really excited me when i first heard about it. Tried it out once (yes, I know one game doesn't mean the idea is rubbish) and decided that when my opponent got 5VP's for literally not moving, and not shooting anything of mine, the amount of 'luck of the draw' involved in the drawing of objectives kinda wasted the concept for me. Now if you had a list of tactical objectives and you had to pick a certain number of them from that list before the game (and before knowing which objective number was where etc) I'd be much more inclined to play that game style.

As it is, i think it's disappointing more people don't try out the Altar of War missions they released on ibooks - i've got several of those compilations and there are some really cool themed missions.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 19:04

Count Adhemar wrote:
Mahakala wrote:
For people that complain about the Maelstrom missions, this BatRep is the perfect example as to why we should be WANTING to play these missions.  Our army excels at this type of warfare. 

I've only played two Maelstrom games but it's been a whitewash both times (in my favour). With some tweaks, Maelstrom can be excellent, especially for us.

I only play Maelstrom missions these days, or variations of them (Bay area open etc). A lot of the people that complain about Dark Eldar in 7th play Eternal War missions (a legacy of 6th edition).

Even straight out the book Maelstrom is no where near as bad as people make it out to be, yes sometimes you get bad cards on some turns, but you can always put your efforts into denying your opponent his objectives (as there is only one mission where objectives are secret). The dynamic gameplay is great fun and is a wonderful challenge tactically. Another strong point is how much Maelstrom rewards mobility, no longer can you prevail solely by having the best static gunline or the nastiest deathstar.

Compared to: I'm going slow play my army until I know what turn it will finish on and contest/score everything (what playing eternal war missions are like in most competitive tournament settings) it's very refreshing.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 03:04

Thanks a lot for the comments all. I did not ake a WWP because I was strapped for points, in my next game, i refined the list used here and did indeed use a WWP (that batrep should be up on tuesday).
I love maelstrom missions, they are not that arbitrary when you take into account that there are a finite number of cards... and you can pretty much know what the possibility is that one card will show up, and you can prepare for them. The only change we do is being able to discard cards that are unable to be scored, like "kill a flier" if your enemy brought no fliers.

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
Nappen
Kabalite Warrior
Nappen

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 12:22

Another great job Skari.

Mush: I have not played any maelstrom yet, but would think jet bikes should excel here?
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 19:32

Nappen wrote:
Mush: I have not played any maelstrom yet, but would think jet bikes should excel here?

It's one of their biggest strengths.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Nappen
Kabalite Warrior
Nappen

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15 2014, 00:01

I have been out of the net for a while, just getting back.
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 18 2014, 21:39

Maelstrom is not only fun, it rewards a dynamic game type, not just a sit back and shoot.

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22 2014, 16:55

Funnily enough this video prompted me to request my first Maelstrom game. Started off badly losing 6-1 to CSM, then came back with an incredible 11-6 win over the next four turns.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Raucir

Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 22 2014, 17:30

Late game wingrabbing! There's nothing quite like a dark eldar force in a maelstrom game.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!   Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Eldar vs Alpha Legion - New Coven units in play!
Page 1 of 1