THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How many troops?

Go down 
+12
lessthanjeff
Count Adhemar
thesaltedwound
The Red King
Aeterna
Grub
Amornar
Cerve
HERO
Mushkilla
barenone
RikuXIII
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RikuXIII
Slave
RikuXIII

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 18:30

Simple question: how many units of troops (kabalites) do you run?

Specifically speaking i'm building an 1850pt list for competitive play. Feel free to say 5 man units in venoms, or 10 man in raiders but lets not get into a debate on which is the right or wrong way.

Simply how many troops are needed at what pount levels
Back to top Go down
barenone
Kabalite Warrior
barenone

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 18:33

last game i played was 2k and i had 4 squads of 10 and a squad of 5 true born, Normally in a 2k though i have 6 squads of 10 and 2 5 man trues, i was trying something different.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 18:56

barenone wrote:
last game i played was 2k and i had 4 squads of 10 and a squad of 5 true born, Normally in a 2k though i have 6 squads of 10 and 2 5 man trues, i was trying something different.

Trueborn are Elites not Troops.
Back to top Go down
barenone
Kabalite Warrior
barenone

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 19:00

i know, i was just throwing that out there because now they upgrade to elite so its still something i did with my kabalite troops. I upgraded them.
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 19:29

Since Warriors are the best troops we have and because they're so flexible, I don't mind maxing out on troop choices. I normally take 5-6, never less.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 20:44

I play two squads of wyches on Venom at 1500
Back to top Go down
Amornar
Kabalite Warrior
Amornar

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 20:50

I think it depends on if you are running a CAD or the raiders detachment for 6 fast attacks. If it is the later you don't have objectives secured anyway so if you don't need the support (i.e. You have enough blasters and splinter weapons already) you can get away with the minimum. Hell you can run the coven detachment and have zero troops!
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 20:56

Usually at least 3 units of 10 at 1500 in Raiders. After that I would typically use the spare points for some elite/special units rather than add more.

Depends largely on what you are supporting them with, but I would still say 3 groups of 10 is a good solid (super durable warriors right) number.
Back to top Go down
Aeterna
Kabalite Warrior
Aeterna

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 20:59

I like gunboating, in the last codex I maxed out troops, in the new one, I'm looking at more of 4-5
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 21:01

How are warriors flexible? They can shoot and only shoot. And only at things with a toughness and preferably a toughness higher than 4.
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 21:10

Lots of high numbers here! I used to do 2 or 3 warriors and one wyches. I've only played one game with 7th ed dex, but I only took 2 ten-squads of warriors and filled up my RR detatchment with Fasts. That was 1000 points.

I'm by no means a tourney player, by the way. Season my advice to taste.

Last edited by thesaltedwound on Mon Oct 13 2014, 21:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://Www.bakeframes.bigcartel.com
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 21:11

The Red King wrote:
How are warriors flexible?  They can shoot and only shoot.  And only at things with a toughness and preferably a toughness higher than 4.

They are none. That's why for my two Troops I choice Witches. They help me in more ways better, than the 2x5 "meh" Kabal Warriors.

Indeed, Witches works in a CC list like mine; otherwise I prefer Kabal Warriors
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 21:39

In my current 1500 list I have 3 units of warriors in venoms and a unit of dire avengers in a wave serpent, all objective secured.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 21:49

The Red King wrote:
How are warriors flexible?  They can shoot and only shoot.  And only at things with a toughness and preferably a toughness higher than 4.

They're very flexible because they can take blasters and get a haywire grenade in the squad. For 55 points, you can threaten swarms of tyranid, wraithknights, and landraiders. Few units in the game can cause damage to such varied targets.

Compare that to a fire warrior who is good in his own right but can only damage low to medium toughness units and lightly armored vehicles while costing more.
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 23:04

lessthanjeff wrote:
The Red King wrote:

They're very flexible because they can take blasters and get a haywire grenade in the squad.  For 55 points, you can threaten swarms of tyranid, wraithknights, and landraiders.  Few units in the game can cause damage to such varied targets.

Compare that to a fire warrior who is good in his own right but can only damage low to medium toughness units and lightly armored vehicles while costing more.

Yup. Kabalite Warriors are very flexible, and thus why having a lot of the is good.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 23:16

lessthanjeff wrote:
The Red King wrote:

They're very flexible because they can take blasters and get a haywire grenade in the squad.  For 55 points, you can threaten swarms of tyranid, wraithknights, and landraiders.  Few units in the game can cause damage to such varied targets.

Sorry, but with Haywire and AM it costs 70. I am wrong? Sad
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13 2014, 23:21

Cerve wrote:
lessthanjeff wrote:
The Red King wrote:

Just take bare bones + Blaster.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 01:16

Cerve wrote:
lessthanjeff wrote:
The Red King wrote:

No you're correct. I should have been more clear about just having the haywire as a separate option. I only run with a blaster in the squads for now, but I'm considering the option of a sybarite upgrade with haywire grenades.
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 03:05

One blaster doesn't really make them anti tank to me, But then I suck at rolling blasters so... there's that.
Back to top Go down
Selvhan
Hellion

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 05:27

I use at least 3 squads.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 05:50

At 2000 points I run 4-6 squads, and sure one blaster doesn't make them anti-tank, but it makes them capable of hurting tanks. Since transports are basically mandatory you end up with a lot of useful units that also have OS. If our troops were bad I'd say take less, but you get a really solid unit for cheap. There's little reason not to max out the FOC. Unless you play kill points all the time.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 10:49

The Red King wrote:
One blaster doesn't really make them anti tank to me,  But then I suck at rolling blasters so... there's that.

It's not about just having one blaster though, I usually run 6ish myself. It's about numerous individual blasters because each squad is so inexpensive. As opposed to having the shots come from one firing unit, you get to fire them one at a time till you get the desired damage result, then switch targets and start hitting another target. Combo it with the weapons of the vehicles themselves and you get to efficiently spread out a lot of damage to a lot of different targets.
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 17:35

Ehhh 1 blaster at a vehicle wastes 4-8 poison shots elsewhere in my mind. But again that's probably because I spent 3 turns shooting 8 blasterborn into 1 bassilisk and never killing it... so...
Back to top Go down
Selvhan
Hellion

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 19:44

You are not wasting any poison shot if you NEED to blow a vehicle. You just can't use your poison shot at all. So it's good to have the option to at least threaten your opponent.
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14 2014, 19:51

I prefer to take anti tank for my anti tank purposes, but as I said that's because a single blaster rarely works for me and the more blasters I point at that tank the more obsec I have out of position and more and more wasted poison shots.

By the time I pump 6 warriors worth of blasters into a tank (which for me is probably the amount needed to maybe kill it) I've wasteda minimum of 24 shots and however many points those hkabalites cost (well partially as it's only one turn of shooting lost).

Not counting vehicles wyches can target all the same things (except terminators) at less range with less shots true but warriors will not tie up a squad of TWC with lord for 3 turns ever.

Since I can fulfill my anti tank elsewhere in the codex and no other unit provides the tarpit potential of wyches I personally will keep using wyches.

Now that last statement means most of you can just disregard my opinion as I'm clearly a loon lol but I honestly like my wyches more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How many troops? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many troops?   How many troops? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How many troops?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next