THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Amount of Troops

Go down 
+6
theblackjackal
Smurfy
Thor665
Local_Ork
Todo13
lululu_42
10 posters
AuthorMessage
lululu_42
Kabalite Warrior
lululu_42

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28 2011, 22:46

So I was planning on upgrading my 1500pt list to 2500pts when I noticed that I still have the some 3 troops. This perplexed me a bit and now I am wondering if 3 troop choice would be enough.

So of our three troop choice's

Wyches, Warriors, and Wracks (if you have a hame) how Many of them should you be taking upon size of the game and whether they should be min or maxed.

Now I know it will depend on meta, mission type, and such so what would be the general amount of troop choices for ether three and why.

Right now I run two full unit of wracks and a unit of wyches (10) out of two WWP. This helps them from not blocking each other if they happen to decide that they all should arrive on the same turn. The Wyches can sprint ahead acting as the tip of the missile while the wracks act as the explosion. Haven't played with objectives so I don't know if it works but the wyches are meant for a more late objective run.

Space Elves get a pass.
Back to top Go down
Todo13
Kabalite Warrior
Todo13

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28 2011, 22:59

I would always take 10 in every squad except for warriors where 5 is aceptable

Why do we ride atop these elegant craft? The better to hear the screams of our prey as we ride them down, to savour the fear etched on their faces, to taste the tantalising tang of their blood in the air as an appetiser before the feast -Dariaq Bladetongue of the Pierced Eye
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28 2011, 23:17

And 3 Wracks aka "nearly free Raider/Venom".

I also would not be so strict about "-5 or -0" numbers of Wyches since their special weapons are kinda... meh. However "-5 or -0" works pretty good for Wracks and Warriors.

Also, 4*X +1 for LD abuse.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 00:35

Back to top Go down
Smurfy
Kabalite Warrior
Smurfy

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 01:07

Forgot about Baron and the Hellions?

Anyways I think it's important to max out on Troops as soon as you can, I personally never run less than 4 but that's also because they give you valuable Transport slots in your army. Wychs have to get into combat early because surprisingly enough they survive better there, so I'd say they'd be early grabbers unless you roll'd them up a Pain Token to start with, then you can safely say they're able to hold ground with Cover + FNP (in a way, just don't cry if S6 firepower goes their way, even then you can GtG for a 3+)
Back to top Go down
theblackjackal
Hellion
theblackjackal

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 02:44

I frequently take a full Wych squad with Gauntlets (then again, I mostly play against GEQ anyway, so the low strength isn't as much of an issue) and a couple MSU Warrior Venom squads, but my current build also takes a pair of ten-man Warrior squads with a Splinter Cannon, mounted in a Venom.

I come from Imperial Guard, so I tend to run with a lot of Troops units.

https://sites.google.com/site/frontier2170
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 09:01

I myself are more a MSU friend, but assault squads gain the most of big numbers, so it's generally not a bad idea to take some guys more.

The most important question, and you answerd that at least partially yourself, what kind of games do you play. If you happen to play a lot of 'friendly' "we'll just hit the crap out off each other until someone cries", you don't 'need' troops. they are as good or badd at doing that, than every other foc, but if you play objective based games you'll see, that the one or other aditional troop squad might come in handy.

My aproach would be to add maybe two to three small troop choices, either warriors with blasters or aditional wyches/wracks. A five (wo)man wych squad is of course not as powerfull as a bigger one, but they are astonishingly cappable if used as support.

P.S.:
theblackjackal wrote:
...but my current build also takes a pair of ten-man Warrior squads with a Splinter Cannon, mounted in a Venom.

I guess you mean raiders, don't you? Because, I know it's annoying, we can't take venoms for ten man squads, unlike muhreens.

Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 14:42

more troops the better I always says!!!

as for troop size, I think there is a reason to take every number. Like 3 wracks gives you another transport, but they really do good at 5, which unlocks the liquifer. They are also good combat unit, so the more the merrier.

And I think that is where the kicker comes in, its all in what they are doing for your army. A combat squad, the more the merrier normally. But if you are looking for just a weapon (like a blaster or liquifer) why buy more than what is needed?

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Grumpy Kwi
Nightmare Doll on the Loose
Grumpy Kwi

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 16:20

I end up with at least 4 and sometimes 5 - I can't get to 6 as I am usually having fun with that FA slot choice that I can't seem to give up for a troop choice.

3 choices seems to little and I can't do it.

A squad of 5 is ok for one or maybe two of the choices but taking less than 5 or making every choice a squad of 5 seems weak to me - not much of a min/max fan myself.

"is that it ?" ....
Back to top Go down
Lightcavalier
Hellion

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 20:26

At 1500+ points I always have 4 troops...I just do not find them durable enough to not have more. By 2000 points I have 6 troops. I just cannot get enough of them, 40 warriors and 20 wyches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Amount of Troops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amount of Troops   Amount of Troops I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amount of Troops
Page 1 of 1