THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Bringing an Archon to my army

Go down 
+7
Fidra
commandersasha
Panic_Puppet
Grub
koshi482
Thor665
Zenotaph
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Bringing an Archon to my army Empty
PostSubject: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 11:45

Hey guys!

Finally I got my new 7th codex here and, well, much has changed. Now, I'm rewriting my army list
and now I got a, let's say, little problem. What to do with my Archon? Does it still make sense,
to hook him up with incubi? How do you equip him for your purpose? That sort of things...
I know, that post is very general, but I'm looking for ideas, the more bizarre, the better.
And when it even works, that would be a great bonus.

Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 15:35

A shooting Archon with a Blaster is still a thing.
He is lessened in assault, but s.field + soultrap + Huskblade or Aggie is a decent enough build.
He is a good candidate to buy a WWP and be joined with Dark Eldar or Eldar units you wish to DS.
I don't think he pairs that well with Incubi anymore since he can't give them grenades.
He still works excellently with Grots.

Back to top Go down
koshi482
Kabalite Warrior
koshi482

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 16:26

Try the animus ventai with the formation. DS the archon in a venom with a sslith. Turn 2 plus he comes down and now you have +2 to your power for pain. With enough points add in a homey formation with urian and any thing within 12 of him will be turn+3 except for the formation who will be +2.

Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 19:43

Its difficult to find something that he "synergises" with, man I hate that kind of word. But the blaster Archon is fine. Personally I prefer the assault archon because of that 2++. I still run mine with Incubi and will be experimenting with Grots as I develop my coven list! The incubi straight up murder stuff (assuming no cover!) and the archon with animus vitae and shadowfield can try and tank the real dangers if you position him right e.g right next to that powerfist! Dangerous perhaps.

I think the viable Archon build now is either blaster with perhaps armour of misery. Or with Agoniser, shadowfield and animus (or armour of misery perhaps). Soul trap is dead in my eyes. Any opponent who accepts a challenge from an archon several times ( you need st 5 to be anyway super effective IMO) is just daft. With the agoniser you can be a threat to most things apart from those 2+ stuff, in which case the incubi can usually deal with them. Sometimes!

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 21:14

Much the same boat as grub... I find a fair number of reasonable builds for him, but not much that I'm happy putting him with. Thing is, the best way to gear him is as a squad killer rather than a character fighter, but if there's one thing Dark Eldar aren't hurting for it's squad killers. That and the fact that the points rack up fast on him because of all the pricey gear. If I was forced to run one, I'd toss him with agoniser and shadowfield, bringing him in at ~120 points...problem is that I can get a succubus with archite glaive and armour of misery for that price, and I'm really enjoying that build.

Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 22:05

It seems a shame that they didn't include the possibility of a 'hands-off' Archon: If Archons are meant to be crime bosses, I'd like the option of a poorly armed support Archon with Shadowfield: all of his powers behave like Tyranid Psychics or Guard orders, namely boosting or orchestrating from the backline.

It would have added a new form of HQ, the closest being Tau.
Back to top Go down
Fidra
Hellion
Fidra

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2014, 23:33

commandersasha wrote:
It seems a shame that they didn't include the possibility of a 'hands-off' Archon: If Archons are meant to be crime bosses, I'd like the option of a poorly armed support Archon with Shadowfield: all of his powers behave like Tyranid Psychics or Guard orders, namely boosting or orchestrating from the backline.

It would have added a new form of HQ, the closest being Tau.

I love this idea. Why isn't it a thing?
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26 2014, 00:58

If I am running Grots then I just go with Lelith. If I am running pure shooty DE, which I do about half the time, I grab him with a blaster for the extra venom and thats about it. If the HW kill is super important put a shadowfield on him, but now he is overly expensive and it is annoying. Soul trap is terrible now, don't take huskblade with it IMO. But giving him the helm of spite is pretty neat if you want to fly him around with a blob.

Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26 2014, 15:01

Hm, I see. Damn. So, I have to rebuild my Vect to a normal Archon and I also have to reequip my Archon.
Agonizer, armor of misery and shadowfield were my first thoughts. Maybe haywire grenades...

Anyway, thanks! I play a few test games and try all that stuff, you told me.

edit: Having read Thor's thread in the tactics, I might add a soul trap.

Hellion
Mr. Ghoti

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26 2014, 17:30

I have 2 uses for my archons: as a pain bomb for xenos, or as a lance bomb for superheavies.

pain bomb is two archons with armor of misery and archangel, scalpel squadrons, torment and phantasm grenades all around, deepstriking in and exploding wounds everywhere.

the lance bomb is interesting. I take 2 archons with blasters, one with a WWP, and a unit of 5 trueborn in a raider with a DL. upgrade 4 true born with blasters, and upgrade the last one to a dracon with a blast pistol. deepstrike those 8 lances no scatter behind something that needs to die. also works against terminators. Add in 3 HWG for taste if you'd like
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26 2014, 17:54

Mr. Ghoti wrote:
I have 2 uses for my archons: as a pain bomb for xenos, or as a lance bomb for superheavies.

pain bomb is two archons with armor of misery and archangel, scalpel squadrons, torment and phantasm grenades all around, deepstriking in and exploding wounds everywhere.

the lance bomb is interesting. I take 2 archons with blasters, one with a WWP, and a unit of 5 trueborn in a raider with a DL. upgrade 4 true born with blasters, and upgrade the last one to a dracon with a blast pistol. deepstrike those 8 lances no scatter behind something that needs to die. also works against terminators. Add in 3 HWG for taste if you'd like

I use mine much the same way as your lance bomb, except you just brought to my attention with the no scatter from WWP a blast pistol isn't useless for at least one turn of the game.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26 2014, 21:01

Mr. Ghoti wrote:

I'm not sure what you need the scalpel squadrons for? They filling up the venoms as a squad so the archons can not deploy with them and also come in on the second turn (earliest).

PostSubject: Re: Bringing an Archon to my army   Bringing an Archon to my army I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bringing an Archon to my army
Page 1 of 1