THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?

Go down 
+5
Evil Space Elves
GAR
Thor665
LoneZealot
Kodika
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Kodika
Slave
Kodika

My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? Empty
PostSubject: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22 2011, 11:33

WARNING: English is not my first language!

I bought the Codex and I have been enjoying it immensely for the last two weeks or so, there are so many options that I cant even look at my Death Wing without being ashamed on their behalf anymore. “Dad isn’t mad, Dad is disappointed”
I saved up the cash and want to buy 1000 points in one order, and want to get a solid foundation to build on during the winter but I also want a fun and viable 1000 points list to play with.

I have been reading through the forum and it seems that the general opinion is that at a 1000 points DE should be focused on shooting. I plan to buy the whole list in a couple of days but was hoping to get some input from some experienced players first maybe correct some errors before money is wasted.
So here is what is in "my cart" at the moment:

1 Haemonculus
1 box of Wyches
2 boxes of Kabalite Warriors
3 Raiders
3 Ravagers

The List I plan to make with this from the get go:
  • Haemonculus Liquifier Gun & Scissor Hand. 75

• Wyches (9) Razor Flails, Hekatrix w. Agoniser in Raider w. Flickerfield. 210

• 2x Kabalite Warriors (10) In Raider w. Flicker Field & Splinter Rack. 340

• 3xRAVAGER w. Flicker field & Night Shield 375

I am unsure if 3 Ravagers are too much at 1000 points.
I would appreciate any input. Or/and critique
Cheers.

Back to top Go down
LoneZealot
Hellion
LoneZealot

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22 2011, 15:57

Looks good for a 1 k list. One thing I would switch tho is the night shields from the ravagers to the raiders since there the ones fighting in the front lines. Ravagers don't really need them. With the stuff your getting you can try blasters or splinter cannons if you feel that AT or AI is needed. It's a good core force
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22 2011, 18:28

That is a truly excellent base pile of pieces to buy, and will put you in a *very* nice position for expanding your army.

As a thought - you might want to look into the DE Battleforce box. It is probably the best value Battleforce box GW makes right now.

Basically you will get;
1 Raider
10 Warriors
10 Wyches
For about what you'd pay for them if you bought them separate. So, basically - for $4 more (less if you aren't buying through GW) you're getting 3 Reaver Jetbikes and a lot of extra bits. Considering you already intend to buy 10 Warriors, Wyches and 1 Raider it could be a very good way to get some extra stuff at almost no extra charge.

Also, welcome to playing the Dark Eldar - it's a rewarding experience and a fun codex.

Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22 2011, 19:37

I second Thor's thoughts.

A couple of battle force boxes will put in great shape for building on and having a solid 1k force. Add in the HQ and you should be ready to build your base, plus a little for the future.

I happen to be a very big venom fan, and as such I typically run my warriors in 5 man units on venoms instead of 10 man on raiders, but that is a matter of playstyle and I like the venom model look better than a raider.

3 ravagers might be a bit much for 1000 points, but I don't see a problem with getting 3 since they are a very good heavy choice and you will use them once you begin to expand up.

Welcome to the dark side!

My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Kodika
Slave
Kodika

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22 2011, 20:26

Thank for the response.

I see what you mean with the Night Shields LoneZealot, I dont really know what my reasoning was for putting them on the ravagers since they will be well out of MM range and well within ML range anyways, which is the two things I worry most about in the armies i usually play against.

The Battle force is a great idea since, as you say, I am getting 3 Reavers for about 20 danish kroner (4 dollars) so I think I am actually spending some more and getting 2. Which leaves me 6 reavers and a full squad of Whyches to reach 1250. And if it was you who did the DE tactica on Dakka, thanks for tipping the scales. I was considering Eldar until I read that.

The Venom is hella cool, no doubt, but I really want my fleet of pirate ships first. But I dont know, those dual SC are crazy....crazy.

Anyway Thanks a lot I really really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22 2011, 21:59

Kodika wrote:
And if it was you who did the DE tactica on Dakka, thanks for tipping the scales. I was considering Eldar until I read that.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22 2011, 22:21

Just make sure and stay away from Wracks and Grotesques if you are trying to be efficient with the money. Two Battle Forces, an HQ, and a couple of Ravagers and you should have a really nice force to start things off and get the feel of how you want to play. It really is a fun army that can be played numerous ways effectively. I tend to run the "tossed-salad" approach of a lot of different types of units that complement each other. (Wyches, Warriors, and Wracks)

I'm with GAR on Venoms: I tend to run them because they are a lot of fun and painting Raiders is a PAIN IN THE butt.

edit - Oh, I forgot to mention that English is my first language, and your English is still better than mine!

edit - Double post merged - Baron Tordeck
Back to top Go down
Incubi Death
Hellion
Incubi Death

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22 2011, 23:59

As everyone else has posted, I think you have a very nice shopping list going, it is basically the same thing I was going to buy as I am also just starting DE. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2011, 02:25

This is a warning to everyone- Learn how to edit before I have to start handing out warnings. The double posting has to stop.

Forum Rules - Read and Obey - Or Else!
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Kabalite Warrior
Fletch

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2011, 05:01

Well I don't think if you plan on playing DE in the long run you can go wrong buying any of the models you have listed (I mean most folks are hard pressed not to default run Ravagers x3 in any amount of points).

I tried to come up with a competative/fun list that is the easiest on someone's wallet at 1000 points. It also allows you to play with some of the elements unique to DE, i.e. WWP. Is it a tourney list thats gunna leaf blow your opponent off the table, no. Its a few pages back but here is a link if you're interested in reading it:

https://thedarkcity.forummotion.com/t782-1000-point-list-challenge

A few comments on your list:

Haemonculus -
Scissorhands are not that great IMO esp. on a Haemonculus. You have a unit (the Haemonculus) that really isnt that strong in HtH to begin with so spending more in this area realy doesnt make him all that better. If you want some punch for a third of the cost of the SH go with the tried and true VenomBlade. A third of the cost and wounds easier, which in some instances will make up for the lose of an attack over the SH. You still get the bonus +1A in HtH. If you plan on matchin him up with the Wyches for his PT he probably is better served staying on the boat, because sooner than later your Wyches may want to Fleet thus leaving him behind and potentially exposed. If the boat is still a float man the helm.

Wyches -
RazorFlails on the Wyches are again not all that steller for what they will do for you. You already have the boat maxed with the Haem so typically better to invest in another Wyche but your unit is already a bit heavy (girls dont like to be called heavy). You could probaly drop down the unit to 8 as well as loose the RF and not skip a beat. What I would do with those extra points is buy the ladies some Haywire Grenades. Gives you another option if it presents itself by way of going after a vehicle and/or a Dread with some level of reliability. An option currently unavailable in your current build.

Warriors -
I see what you're doing but i just feel you're leaving out some real benefits of having a 10 man unit. If not a special because you want to take 100% advatage of those Splinter Racks you're also leaving the Heavy behind as well. Somehow I feel that you're gimping yourself. At worst I would look to pick up a Splinter Cannon for no other reason than a few more shots if you move many more if you don't plus a longer range (if you need to take a few pot shots and your 12" rapid fire range isnt enough). I'm not opposed to taking a Shredder or Blaster for the added punch. I know its a points issue but you could easily take 2 Shredders and/or 2 Splinter Cannon from the savings elsewhere.

Ravagers -
Standard, solid choice. To your question is 3 to many depends on who you ask and who you play against. If it's your buddy who only runs 2 vehicles then yeah its going to be more fun for you than him in most instances. If you play ultra competative then no but then I'm gunna hazard a guess the other units in your army "as is" are going to cause you some major grief. I totally concur with the no NS on the Ravagers as most of the time you run these on the edge of their 36" range and most return fire will be from weapons with a range of 48" (Las, Missile, Autocannon, etc) so their 48-6=42" is still going to outclass you. Yes you will avoid those pesky Chimera with Melta Guardsman, etc better but you shouldn't get caught that close in the first place. With that I would definately drop the NS and consider dropping one of the Ravagers.

So to recap.....

Loose the Scissorhand for nothing or a Venomblade = net 10 points
Loose a Wyche, Loose the RazorFlail - Pick up Haywire Grenades = net 4 points
Pick up a Splinter Cannon in each Warrior Unit = net -20 points
Loose the Nightshields and 1 Ravager = net 145 points
Total gain = 139 points

Options for those points:
Pick up 4 Trueborn with Shredders in a Venom with dual SC and a 5pt vehicle upgrade for a Raider (TGL, EAS, SP, etc) or a shredder in 1 of the warriors.
-or-
5 Scourges with Haywire Blaster x2 and a 5pt vehicle upgrade or shredder as above.
-or_
Whatever else you may want, Hellions, Beasts, another HQ, etc.

Look at my link and list, I think its a decent showing and very easy on the pocketbook at well under $200 (USD) when purchased via one of the good online retailers or at your local store for a little bit more......unless of course you're an Aussie Crying or Very sad

"If 50 million people believe a foolish idea, it's still a foolish idea"
- unknown
Back to top Go down
Kodika
Slave
Kodika

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2011, 09:42

Thank you all for the input.

Thank you Fletch for that quite extensive run down of my list, I am definitely adding splinter cannons to the Warriors. I hadn’t understood that the Splinter Racks affected them too.

Thank you Evil Space elves (sounding slightly psychotic?), It may have been overkill with the whole warning thing, but I’ve been hit with the grammar hammer enough times that I have made a habit of it.

Oh and yes, 2 Venoms added to the shopping list, as prescribed.

Am I psyched about my first realspace raid?? Twisted Evil

IO
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Kabalite Warrior
Fletch

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2011, 14:42

Kodika wrote:
Thank you all for the input.

Thank you Fletch for that quite extensive run down of my list, I am definitely adding splinter cannons to the Warriors. I hadn’t understood that the Splinter Racks affected them too.

Np, but I think you may have misunderstood my comments, as the splinter racks DO NOT affect Splinter Cannons. I just thought with your whole "shooty poison" role for those Warriors you were leaving something out by not adding a Cannon. It's not an expensive upgrade, and gives you a little bit more "reach out and touch someone"; and the pure number of shots makes up for the fact you can't reroll them.

"If 50 million people believe a foolish idea, it's still a foolish idea"
- unknown
Back to top Go down
Kodika
Slave
Kodika

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25 2011, 08:26

I see. At least I did not misread the codex.

You have converted me to the venom and I can see why most of you like it so much for warriors.
So this is the list I have come up with now, a bit low on troops but my SO got me a box of Incubi and they seem quite potent so Ill go with them for now.

2x Kabalite Warriors (5) Blaster. In Venom w. +1 SC & NS 135
1x Kabalite Warriors (5) In Venom w. +1 SC 110

HQ Archon Clonefield, ghostplate armour & Agoniser 110
(Goes with the Incubi)
ELITE INCUBI (4) In Venom w. +1 SC & NS 163

3x RAVAGER Flicker field 115

Total 998.

Or remove one of the ravager and add 1 more venom with warriors.
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27 2011, 09:59

Please be aware that a venom run list will cost you more to start out with. Theres nothing wrong with that, but just know assembling a raider list is more economical.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27 2011, 16:53

@darkmark - why is that? Venoms cost less than Raiders, not a lot - but it is less. And the only way to get more affordable Raiders is...I *guess* the Battleforce as long as you also want everything there - or if you want to go with the old Raiders and they're going cheap on eBay or something (are they? Maybe I should snag a couple more...)

Back to top Go down
Kodika
Slave
Kodika

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 22:11

Thank you all for the advice.
I traded in the Incubi for an Archon and some paints.
I have read a lot on the forums and codex and listened to your advice and I have put together an army list and ordered the models.
I feel I have come to a good (cheap…’ish) combination of units I want to try and units I have come to understand are effective.
My list is:

1 Archon w. Agoniser, Clonefield & Combat drugs 110 HQ
(goes with)
9 Hekatrixes w. 8xhg, 3xShardnet&imp., syren w. agoniser in raider w. NS&FF 273 ELITE

3x
5 Kabalite Warriorsx w. 1 Blaster in Venom w. SC&NS 405 3xTROOP

3Trueborn w. 2 DL 86 ELITE

3x
Ravager w. NS&FF 375 3xHS
Total: 1249-

I am completely in love with the archon clonefield + Shardnet&imp Idea. I NEED TO TRY IT! The trueborn Sniper team is an idea I got from Thors tactica on Dakka and a way to use my remaining warriors in a reasonable way save money. I think they can annoy an opponent enough to keep him from firing on an venom instead for instance. I know there are points to be saved from NS on the Ravagers and downgrading the hekatrixes to wyches, but with the models I get I think it is a good compromise to save some cash for wracks and still get an decent amount of points.
Again thank you, this really is a great forum and it would have been much more of a bother to figure it all out to make a decision without The Dark City //
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?   My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first 1000 points of DE, what to buy?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: