THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Talos & Chronos and Scourges.

Go down 
+5
El_Jairo
OutrunKoil
Grub
The_Burning_Eye
mithosiris
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mithosiris
Slave

Talos & Chronos and Scourges. Empty
PostSubject: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 12:33

Hi guys! I'm a bit confused on the setup of my Talos/Chronos and Scourges. I have recieved today 2 talos/chronos boxes and 4 boxes of scourges. What setup would you do with them? In my enviroment don't allow the use of formations so the talos/chronos/haemonculi can't be fielded. Anyways, do you think is better going with 1 talos and 1 chronos near together? or do you prefer going with 2 talos? What weapon setups would you put on them? And what about Scourges setup?¿ What weapons would you put on them now that you have playtested them? I really appreciate your comments. Thanks a lot!!!!
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 12:50

If you're only taking two, definitely go with two Talos. the 4+ FnP is nice, but 125 is a lot to drop on a model that's only boosting 1 dice roll by 1 (yes, when you save the last wound with a 4 you'll feel a million dollars, but imho it's not worth it. If you're already taking 2 Talos and add in a Cronos I'd be more likely to say go for it)

Scourges I think work best with either heat lances or haywire blasters. Not much point in keeping the shardcarbines since we do AI so well elsewhere. 4 blasters isn't a bad choice but what you'd do with the 4th squad I have no idea without converting weapons across to make another heat lance/haywire blaster unit.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 12:55

I personally like the Chronos and the Talos together. Issue depends on if you can sacrifice a heavy support slot or if you would rather team them up (in which case I would go Talos).

Talos with a cannon is alright, if you don't stick the carapiece bit that covers the top of the tail weapons on, you can clip it on to any of the weapon options that are included. Then you can swap and change and pick which one you like the best! They sit quite well in the ball socket at the end of the tail.

Scourges. I'm personally a fan of the haywire blasters, decent range, decent wrecking potential. Heat lances I think are dangerous as they make them a throw away suicide unit which is what they are not. Blasters are another possibility, they also work well. I would pick between Haywires if you want something to finish off that tough high armor tank with a couple of HP left or Blasters if you want to try and pop some low armor stuff or damage some components of the vehicle.

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
mithosiris
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 13:04

I like the idea of 2 Talos too, with Heat lances could give me the possibility of makins 2 HWB units and 1 Heat lance unit of scourges. Is that ok for you?
Back to top Go down
OutrunKoil
Hellion
OutrunKoil

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 13:06

I personally like Talos / Cronos combo (even if 1 & 1 running together)

I don't see it as just a +1 FNP but also another template weapon at AP3. And the Cronos isn't exactly a wimp in CC either - not running them in a single unit also gives you the ability to multi assault without +1 A loss. Cronos being a supporting CC to other units whilst and tanking overwatch whilst Talos can go it alone (but within 6" for added FNP goodness)

Unfortunately, I learnt that you can't take both the Vortex and Probe the other day. In another thread...missed that one!
Back to top Go down
mithosiris
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 13:10

My idea is going with a 4 x Grotesques unit with an archon too, so maybe they could get benefit of the chronos too, now im a bit confused XD. Is there any posibility of assembling 2 talos and one of them have look a like a chronos?
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 13:14

mithosiris wrote:
I like the idea of 2 Talos too, with Heat lances could give me the possibility of makins 2 HWB units and 1 Heat lance unit of scourges. Is that ok for you?

If you want it I would say go for it! Its the best way!

My experience with Heatlance Scourges is as follows: Deepstrike next to thing that needs to die. Scatter. Now out of melta range. No effect. Shot next turn, no survivors.

My experience with Haywire Scourges: Move up and hide around cover. Pop out and shoot vehicle that needs to die. Inflict 2 HP. Oh well. Wait, next squad does the same. oh look a dead landraider. And now not much can shoot at them, 1 or 2 casualties.

They are such a good unit that really lacks survivability (dont let the 4+/6++ fool you!) which makes them dangerous to use as a suicide unit in my opinion.

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 13:25

Problem with the Cronos is its only weapon is template range. so you have to get within 8" to be able to shoot anything. Can be useful if someone wants to charge you but the chances are if they're charging a T7 3W monstrous creature they're not likely to be scared of D3 S3 hits on the charge.

The Talos model is perfect for magnetising - i buried one in the ball joint on the end of the tail so all the weapon options can be swapped, the cover for the tail piece will also get magnetised, and I've also done the arm tentacles/weapons. This bit is really simple, just saw off the tentacles where they join the arm and stick a magnet into each side. The racks on the carapace slot in snugly once they're undercoated so dont have to be magnetised, and the tail pieces are also a snug enough fit to not move around too much.

Losing +1 attack for a disordered charge doesn't hurt us too much - i did just this on Monday against a Trigon Prime and a Hive Tyrant, and despite having been reduced to WS3 by a psychic power, the Ichor injector killed the Trigon Prime, and I forced 3 wounds onto the Hive Tyrant (gutted I didn't roll a 6, but hey, you can't win 'em all)

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
El_Jairo
Kabalite Warrior
El_Jairo

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 13:34

I agree with the above.

I'm planning on copying my Scourge special weapons and magnetising them. I prefer Haywire and maybe Blasters if I lack Dark Matter weapons in the rest of the list.
I don't like 18" range that much as it puts you in infantry charge distance (sure you need to roll 12" for the charge). With Haywire you don't only gain 6" in range but the chance to chip off a HP is a lot bigger for AV11+ (which is the main stay of vehicles anyway).

PS: What do you mean by "my environment doesn't allow the use of Formations"?
As I see it, it is an integral part of 7th Edition. That's like saying: we don't do flyers.
Especially since the Coven supplement is 2/3rds about Formations.
I'm just curious what the logic is behind this. Because my reply would be: "Fine but than you don't get to shoot overwatch with any unit that has shot in the previous turn. And if that is too complicated for you, just forget overwatch all together" Smile
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 13:42

It does seem a little weird to disallow the use of formations via a 'house rule'. Generally speaking the guys I guy with and against view the formations as nice little flavourful additions to the game - I've not yet seen one that I would say is a must take because it's so effective. Generally they are minor tweaks that lead to/support a particular style of play without making the combination over-powered. Even the Corpsethief Claw is pretty balanced - yes your Talos unit gets scout and so can outflank, but it's 700pts minimum thrown into one unit, that can only attack or shoot one enemy unit per turn, and they are not quick!

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
Lost Vyper
Kabalite Warrior
Lost Vyper

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 15:18

I´ve had good experiences with Talos (tl Heat Lance + Ichor Injector). I´m going to get more and the load out´ll be the same. In the last game he dusted : Murderfang (tl Heat Lance), full Grey Hunter squad, a Rune Priest and remains of another GH -squad, before getting Force Weaponed down by another Rune Priest...Ichor Injector with AP2 (Monstrous Creature) with S7 and ID on a 6...yeah, i´ll buy that for a dollar! I don´t own the Scourges yet, but by seeing them in action, i would use the Haywires due to the range. As someone said earlier, you WILL scatter, when you ABSOLUTELY can´t scatter Smile.

- Lost Vyper
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/RESEDAPRIME/videos
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 15:30

If you can't afford to scatter, stick a WWP archon in the unit. he can also take either a blast pistol/blaster and take a solarite with a blast pistol to really boost the damage of the unit! They even stand a bit of a chance against superheavies equipped like that!

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
clever handle
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 17:12

I think Formations get a bad name since that very first formation those 11 months ago.... Giving Tau their "brilliant" tank hunters formation is just ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Anterzhul
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 20:58

But then again, most things tau are ridiculous

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 00:59

Thank you guys for all the comments, I think I will definetly go with 2 talos with HL and ichor injectors and 2 HWB scourge units 1 HL scourge unit and maybe 1 blaster scourge unit. Thanks for all, I very appreciate your help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
darthken239
Kabalite Warrior
darthken239

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 01 2014, 00:21

well ive now been running 3 talos (1 plastic and two of the old metal ones) backed up by a cronos and they have performed excellently.
they can take a horrendous amount of incoming fire, and it's a threat that has to be dealt with.
It leaves a lot of the rest of my army free from incoming fire.
True it takes up 2/3 of our HS slots but with ravager's not quite as good as they used to be this isn't a problem.
I prefer the twin linked HL's to HWB just so i have some adaptability when shooting.
And these guys are my only dedicated CC unit
Back to top Go down
Lost Vyper
Kabalite Warrior
Lost Vyper

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 01 2014, 00:44

darthken239 wrote:

And these guys are my only dedicated CC unit

here here
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/RESEDAPRIME/videos
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talos & Chronos and Scourges.   Talos & Chronos and Scourges. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Talos & Chronos and Scourges.
Page 1 of 1