THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?

Go down 
+5
Helequin
thesaltedwound
spellcheck2001
The_Burning_Eye
benth3bear
9 posters
AuthorMessage
benth3bear
Kabalite Warrior
benth3bear

Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? Empty
PostSubject: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 15:27

A question for potential work with my dark eldar haemonculus coven.

Since their vehicles are made from metal in theory would they begin to rust? Is just an idea for potential future colour scheme.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 15:32

yes, might look a bit odd for non-coven stuff though (can't see a self respecting Archon allowing his vehicles to go rusty - what are slaves for after all...)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 15:35

Yes most certainly. I think any vehicle will rust due to over use and no maintenance (or age, like my previous cars Very Happy ). You could fit it into your kabals fluff that they are either very poor/and or fallen from grace and cannot maintain their raiders, or that they are fighting in an environment that causes their raiders to rust quickly.

The new Ryza rust paint and typhus corrosion by GW are excellent ways to rust up your vehicles Smile.

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 20:39

Anything is possible! Faulty webway portals corroding the vehicles each time they pass through, leaky wracks dripping acid blood all over the paintwork...

I agree with spellcheck about the typhus corrosion stuff, it's awesome. A word of warning about the ryza rush though - it's a drybrush type of paint, which means it gathers on raised edges and sticky-out bits: the exact opposite of what rust does in real life!

Helequin
Slave
Helequin

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31 2014, 03:52

Hmmm, it's not really a question of would they rust, since we have no idea unless someone has a datasheet on Space Elf metals of the year 40K for us to look over.

Steels, even stainless if scratched, will rust eventually if not cared for. Aluminum on the other hand, builds up a layer of Aluminum Oxide that prevents further corrosion unless that layer is scratched through. Other metals behave differently, like copper which will undergo various oxidation reactions first turning black and then green (like the Statue of Liberty).

In a sense, all of these are "rusting." In the end then, I say go for what looks good. Could a Dark Eldar vehicle look weathered, battered and well-used? Absolutely! The hard part will be how you want to weather it.

Some good suggestions above, or get creative and start looking at weathering effects on real life metals. You might find something which strikes some inspiration.
Back to top Go down
Finn
Kabalite Warrior
Finn

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04 2014, 19:21

I paint them rusty myself. I like the look and I don't really care for fluff. Rust fits DE really well in my opinion. Clean and shiny is for CWE impostors.
Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? IMG_0427_zps7f00f477
Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? 2

thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07 2014, 13:46

That is a lovely scheme Finn! Love the venom especially.

barenone
Kabalite Warrior
barenone

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07 2014, 14:03

I say they would let them rust because it is poisonous. more poison to stick into your victim. Besides with all the random acids and stuff flying around i can see some stuff melting, rusting, and corroding things in a matter of minutes.
Back to top Go down
Finn
Kabalite Warrior
Finn

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08 2014, 10:40

thesaltedwound wrote:
That is a lovely scheme Finn! Love the venom especially.
I'm happy you like it. I think I will be adding even more rust, dirt and grime. Possibly blood, too Smile I need to only keep myself in check not to go overboard with that, to avoid dwelling in Nurgle territory. Barenone expressed in words what I feel about the rusty paint schemes and why they would fit Dark Eldar armies.

Zeiph
Slave
Zeiph

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12 2014, 20:04

In reality, all metal rust eventually, though futurustic cyber space elves may have come to craft metal that never rust?
I wouldn't paint rust on my models, I don't think that it fits. But that's just me. Rust effects looks very nice, but in my mind Dark Eldar and the Elven kin are very "tidy". Though blood splashes is rather common in my force. I take that instead of rust.
Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15 2015, 02:29

I am sorry, a little detail. Rust is the oxidation of Iron and it's alloys. Each metal oxidizes slightly different colors. Now I doubt any Dark Eldar would ever let metal oxidize. There is a more likely effect corrosion, which oxidize is a sub-set of. Oxidization has the visual effect of being shiny at the high points, corrosion colors at the low points. Corrosion from acids would have the opposite effect shiny and metallic in the pitting corrosion colors at the high points. this effect is more likely especially with coven units.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?   Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would Dark Eldar vehicles rust?
Page 1 of 1