THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How secure is the webway?

Go down 
+3
Azdrubael
Thor665
Calyptra
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

How secure is the webway? Empty
PostSubject: How secure is the webway?   How secure is the webway? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 22:30

Once upon a time, the webway was unassailable. The slave races simply had no means of access, and the Dark Eldar were able to strike with impunity and without reprisal. This is why Ahriman gaining access to the webway during the Eye of Terror campaign was such a big deal.

The current books contain numerous references to lesser races breaching the webway, such as the Raven Guard strike force who "blasted" their way into the webway tunnels.

What happened? Obviously, the fluff has been changed, but how are all these primitives getting into the webway? For that matter, how do they even know about the webway? Historically, that knowledge has been possessed by a handful of Inquisitors and Chaos Sorcerers at most. And just how does one blast one's way in? I'm pretty sure melta bombs don't have a "dimensional breach" setting.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: How secure is the webway?   How secure is the webway? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31 2014, 03:52

By that story - it sounds like it was the Haems *goal* to have the RG recapture their stranded men. Logic dictates that they enabled the Raven Guard to enter the webway through some means. The same holds for the gawdawful 'Rise of Vect' thing.

I can't think of any other occurrences off hand.

Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: How secure is the webway?   How secure is the webway? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31 2014, 05:11

Well, there's the Thousand Sons conducting rituals in the webway on the second page of the timeline in the core codex.

There are also examples in the Space Marines codex timelines of Marine Chapters (White Scars, Black Templars) vowing vengeance on the Dark Eldar for some atrocity or other, sallying forth to find them, and returning after butchering tons of Eldar from the relevant Kabal, occasionally with their archon. It's never explained how they manage this.

I feel like there's more than that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: How secure is the webway?   How secure is the webway? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31 2014, 05:43

Quote :
There are also examples in the Space Marines codex timelines of Marine Chapters (White Scars, Black Templars) vowing vengeance on the Dark Eldar for some atrocity or other, sallying forth to find them, and returning after butchering tons of Eldar from the relevant Kabal, occasionally with their archon. It's never explained how they manage this.

Porbably the set up a trap. Many Kabals also operate from space, so their ships can be boarded and crew butchered.

Jehoel
Kabalite Warrior
Jehoel

PostSubject: Re: How secure is the webway?   How secure is the webway? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31 2014, 14:12

I Think with the increase of warp storms and anomalies, the webway May be wearing "thin" or even brake in different places. The warp spiders Can only work so fast. We know for a fact that several areas of the webway have collapsed, ends in dead ends, are deamon infiltrated an so forth. That the Thousand sons have been lucky to Enter is not surprising with Their magic knowledge. But by no means has entry become easy for the lesser races!

The readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he leaves, what is't to leave betimes?

- Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

Kabal of Eternal Torment/Cult of Last Caress/Coven of Wasted Tears
Back to top Go down
PartridgeKing
Sybarite
PartridgeKing

PostSubject: Re: How secure is the webway?   How secure is the webway? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31 2014, 14:18

I think the major factor is which bit of the Webway you're talking about, and that's the concern. Some bits are broken and frayed to the extent that people could simply walk in by accidentally passing through a gate they didn't know was there, then there's the Necrontyr Dolman gates, and the Gubbins the Emperor was up to prior to his A'scension'. Additionally there's the fact that the webway is the meniscus between the water of the real and the oil of the warp. Violent currents have the potential to damage it, it's incredibly fragile and time has taken its toll. I may be wrong, but I don't think many/any Eldar maintain the webway, it's. Somewhat left to warp spiders - the creatures not the aspect warriors - and then some groups may put effort into looking after the bits they use, but considering how large it is, and how dwindling our numbers are, and the fact that bits of it open directly into the warp these days, suffice to say when you walk the webway you best be sure you know the route you're taking and stick to the path.

Now Harlequins have the knowledge to keep themselves 'secure' but even they fall foul of the webway sometimes, and the lore / books are full of the Eldar as a whole having to be careful when perambulating it.

I would also agree with the above that it many cases humanity in the webway is due to Dark Eldar machinations or the actions of third parties. Chaos sorcerers and thousand sons make sense to be able to get in under their own steam, and Ahriman has been doing it for ages, his difficulty is that he still can't get where he wants to go whilst in it.

At the LARP I write for when we used the webway - complicated premise, short version being Harlequins - the players were accessing an incredibly old, unstable and damaged region, before you factor in the webway itself not being intended to be friendly to humans, so suffice to say they had to deal with all manner of hazards. My favourite may have to have been the Umbra but that's just me.

A stitch in time, saves nine.

---

The Templar & The Alien - Battle Report

---

No Rest for the Wicked, a UK based Warhammer 40,000 LARP
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: How secure is the webway?   How secure is the webway? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31 2014, 14:58

Over a long time the Webway has just sort of decayed, but a major problem came about following the events of the novel "A Thousand Sons" (part of the Horus Heresy series.
WHich is sort of Magnus' fault.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: How secure is the webway?   How secure is the webway? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03 2014, 11:30

Thats kind of a problem, isnt it.

The Webway was made by the old ones, so though the Eldar are the race who were made to guard the webway, its hard not to imagine people such as the Slann, orks or Jokero getting in.

(Its hard to imagine the jokero keeping their paws `out`)

The Slann these days seem to be volentarily planet bound, I think the Orks are just too stupid.

Inquisitors have been in, and the Luminati visit the Black library, dont they?

How do the Rogue Traders and all those strange alien mercenaries get to Commoragh?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How secure is the webway?   How secure is the webway? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How secure is the webway?
Page 1 of 1