THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Reaper conversion

Go down 
+2
The_Burning_Eye
Anterzhul
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anterzhul
Kabalite Warrior

Reaper conversion Empty
PostSubject: Reaper conversion   Reaper conversion I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05 2014, 16:45

While going through my immense stack of old sprues today (Looking for some bits for my grots), I came upon the sprue of my wraithknight, which got me thinking:

With the ravager getting a nerf and people considering FW reapers, which cost ridiculous amounts of money.
Could it be possible to convert a raider to a reaper convincingly using those huge guns from the wraithknight?

Thoughts, ideas?
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

Reaper conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper conversion   Reaper conversion I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05 2014, 16:49

£41 isn't exactly ridiculous, given that you get the raider anyway (£20+)

but show us a pic of what you're thinking, I'm sure you'll get some interest!
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Anterzhul
Kabalite Warrior

Reaper conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper conversion   Reaper conversion I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05 2014, 17:45

Everything higher than strictly needed is ridiculous if you're a university student :/

Basically I'm thinking doing this
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t1480-heat-lance-to-haywire-blaster-easy-conversion#15321
with the large wraithcannon things (my wraithknight has the suncannon, I figure that one would otherwise be perfect), possibly use wraithguard shields as the bits around the nozzle.

as for the raider itself, remove the prow, stick the sail on the gun mount, and that only leaves two problems:

1: How/where to get a big sail, I figure the small one would look stupid when mounted on the front
2: What to use for the barrel of the gun inside the vehicle, I'm thinking of using The doomsday ark cannon barrel for this

I'll try to put something together tomorrow/friday, as I have a mechanics exam tomorrow and should really be studying right now Wink

Any thoughts appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

Reaper conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper conversion   Reaper conversion I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05 2014, 18:25

The free-body diagram is the most important thing in mechanics. If you get that right, then everything should go well! Good luck!  

I will gladly give you Tips on the reaper tomorrow, after the exam!
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

Reaper conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper conversion   Reaper conversion I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05 2014, 20:30

This is a really good idea, Anterzhul, I think it will look great. Converting a Raider to a Reaper is relatively easy, and using this gun will simplify the job a bit more.

If you check pages 2 and 5 of my log, http://tinyurl.com/no27mft you will see examples where I made an initial Reaper conversion and then two more. In the first, I used a Shadow Weaver from a CWE Support Weapon for the Storm Vortex generator, and in the other two I just made a simple device using some spare plastic tubing and thin rods. It doesn't really matter, plus nobody knows the difference or what they should look like, anyway, because they are fairly rare.

That leaves you with the cockpit dash and its stand, the large scything blades on the rear quarters, and the extra armour on the bow, which can all be done fairly easily with plasticard.

The sail is not so difficult, either. Thin plasticard, and 2mm (I think) plastic rod. I just looked at FW's pictures online and eyeballed how long the spars were relative to the hull. Then I cut the lengths and shaved down the end so it tapered nicely, and curved them slightly using some gentle heat. I used parts of two existing sails for the base, then taped it down flat and layed out the longer spars in their correct position, then traced it onto the plasticard sheet for the shape of the sails. It was a bit fiddly getting the spars to glue along their length to the spars, but not too bad and they have held perfectly fine with simple plastic cement.

It's a good project to take on, not too long or difficult, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck!

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Anterzhul
Kabalite Warrior

Reaper conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper conversion   Reaper conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07 2014, 15:17

That's amazing Gobs :O Duuuuuuude that sail Shocked Looks like I got my work cut out for me Smile will probably take a while, as I gotta wait for money to come in again Sad
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

Reaper conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper conversion   Reaper conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07 2014, 16:56

If you have lots of spares then why not have two small sails? I doubt all Reapers are the same.

As long as it has that huge gun then people wont mind.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

Reaper conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper conversion   Reaper conversion I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08 2014, 09:24

Sounds good.

Can I make a suggestion?

This is what I did:

Reaper conversion Reaper1_zpsed20c979

I built the actual Reaper weapon as a separate unit that can be attached to one of my existing Raiders, that way if it didn't work out it could easily be switched in and out (and I didn't have to get another Raider).
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Sponsored content

Reaper conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper conversion   Reaper conversion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reaper conversion
Page 1 of 1