THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Panic_Puppet
Wych

1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves Empty
PostSubject: 1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves   1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12 2014, 12:32

Game 2 from my tournament a few weeks back! My list is in the first batrep http://www.thedarkcity.net/t10671-1500-points-dark-eldar-vs-dark-eldar

Game 2 is The Scouring, and I'm against Space Wolves using the wolfy detachment:
Bjorn (Warlord)
Rune Priest using Wolfy powers
10 Grey Hunters with flamer
10 Grey Hunters with 2x Meltagun, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Pod
10 Grey Hunters wtih 2x Plasma gun, gunslinger with 2x Plasma Pistols, Pod
2 Vindicators with Siege Shields
5 Longfangs with 4 Missile Launchers, Flak Missiles

Disadvantages: His army has alpha strike written all over it, with the pods coming down and the third unit with attached priest outflanking, and the ability to manipulate reserves slightly with the wolfy detachment. It's also Scouring, and I have five Fast Attack slots to his none, so that's a reasonable number of extra points he has to take a shot at.

Advantages: As long as I can keep something alive til the late game, I can go chasing objectives at the end. Once his reserves show up he's got basically no mobility, and I can start breaking for objectives. Bigger advantage: Razorwings. Provided I can squash the longfangs in two shooting phases, I'll have complete aerial dominance and can pick my battles.

I snag the +1 attack combat drug, and Labyrinthine Cunning for my warlord trait, which immediately gets used to ensure that night-fighting is in effect on turn 1. I win the first turn roll, and elect to take it.

(Apologies for crap pictures, blame the blinding sunlight)

1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves 7th2_010
Deployment. I spread out with the Trueborn venom on the far side, then the reavers on the far side of the ruin. Ravager's next, then a raider, then the empty venom, incubi venom, and lastly the remaining raider. He deploys as you can see, with the longfangs on the hill. He rolls to seize, on a 5+ thanks to Bjorn, and gets it.

Turn 1 - Space Wolves:
He drops the dual melta pod in a bold position, behind my ravager, and doesn't scatter off the board. Both vindicators and Bjorn advance. The meltas open up into my ravager and I almost remove it, rolling a 3 on my cover save, before remembering that night fighting is in effect and I have 3+ jink rather than 4+ (Thank you, Labyrinthine Cunning...). He takes off a hull point from it with lots of firepower. From the vindicators and Bjorn, I'm lucky to make most of my saves; he lands a penetrating hit from a vindicator on the incubi venom and needs a 4+ to turn it to shrapnel, but can only get a 3 and immobilise it.

Turn 1 - Dark Eldar:
The Incubi and Succubus disembark, facing an 8" charge to the grey hunters that disembarked from the drop pod. Jetbikes turbo-boost down to the back, as everything else advances (except the immobilised venom). My lances do naff all, but the trueborn blasters manage to wreck the drop pod for First Blood. A withering amount of splinter fire from the venoms manages to kill all four missiles from the longfangs, meaning my Razorwings are now almost completely untouchable. Lastly, the warriors in the nearest raider shoot the grey hunters before the incubi and succubus make their charge. Klaivex lays out the guy with a storm shield in a challenge, and I win combat, but we remain locked.
1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves 7th2_510
Bottom of turn 1

Turn 2 - Space Wolves:
He gets both his reserves. The pod lands up between my trueborn venom and the reavers, and the outflanking squad comes on from my right. His vindicators and Bjorn move around slightly. Shooting sees him dispatch my Ravager, the rightmost raider, 4 warriors from within said raider, and the previously immobile venom; I suspect he also gets the trueborn venom this turn as it gets destroyed, and this is the only time I can think of for it happening. The gunslinger with 2 plasma pistols manages to off himself in the process though. In combat, the incubi and succubus continue to kill grey hunters, but don't quite finish them.

Turn 2 - Dark Eldar:
I get both Razorwings, but no scourges, even with my reserve re-roll. Razors both fly across, and the remaining raider moves up to where the warriors can engage the newly disembarked Grey Hunters. My sole surviving venom retreats, as it's still worth a point if it gets destroyed. I manage to pile all my lances into one vindicator and finish it off. Lastly, my trueborn, warriors and reavers manage to finish off all but one grey hunter between them, who gets ended by a swift bladevane to the face from a Reaver with my hammer of wrath attacks. The succubus/incubi finish the grey hunters, and consolidate.

1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves 7th2_210
End of turn 2. I've pretty much got the 8 points worth of objectives on the left side of the table guaranteed, first blood for 9, and linebreaker for 10. All I realistically need to do at this point is keep fast attack choices alive, as my opponent's score without them caps at 8.

Turn 3 - Space Wolves:
Bjorn and the surviving vindicator move forward, as the grey hunters try and get somewhere useful. All that really happens is my warriors get assaulted by Bjorn, predictably get squashed; I choose to fail my morale test automatically due to Our Weapons Are Useless and leg it, off the table.

Turn 3 - Dark Eldar:
The Trueborn move up and pop the drop pod. Incubi move into the ruin, where they are out of sight and can claim the 4 point objective. The Scourges finally show up (needing the re-roll) and score 2 haywire hits on the surviving vindicator, and then roll snake eyes for the haywire effect... Razorwings are helpful though, and bombard the grey hunters, killing several. I finish off the longfang sergeant because he's there.

[https://i.servimg.com/u/f59/18/02/50/84/7th2_310.jpg[/img]
Scourges putting in their best efforts for the "why did I spend points on this unit when I could have bought my Ravager splinter racks for a similar effect" award

Turn 4 - Space Wolves:
Again, I manage to jink away his few efforts, as all he can really do is pray for luck with Bjorn and the vindicator. The rune priest tries to zap my Razorwing, I jink as it will be going off-table due to lack of targets, and he misses anyway.

Turn 4 - Dark Eldar:
Both Razorwings go off-table. The trueborn move away towards the far left 2-point objective, out of range. The Scourges haywire the vindicator, and then take advantage of their furious charge thanks to power from pain to finish it off in assault.

1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves 7th2_410
https://i.servimg.com/u/f59/18/02/50/84/7th2_410.jpg

Turn 5 - Space Wolves:
Bjorn levels 2 scourges with his plasma cannon and just fails his charge. Rune priest can't do anything.

Turn 5 - Dark Eldar:
Both planes come back for their final assault. I dent Bjorn with one, before finishing him with the Scourges and their haywire blasters to the rear for Slay the Warlord. Unfortunately, I can't quite finish off the rune priest for the tabling, and the game ends.

1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves 7th2_510

End of the game! The Space Wolves' lone surviving model is the rune priest, who's on a 3 point objective and claiming linebreaker. Miraculously, all five of my fast attack choices are still alive, as the one venom he didn't kill was the empty one. I have the 4 point objective, the other 3 point objective, both 2 point objectives, and all three secondary objectives, meaning it's a Dark Eldar victory, 14-4.

I think the Wolf army was the victim of a bad match-up. Dual vindicators and Bjorn are probably lethal against smaller, elite armies like any marine variant. I was able to deny his alpha strike, and then mobility just won the day. He was completely cold to the Razorwings, meaning I was able to pick and choose targets at leisure. That, and the fragmentary nature of his force meant I was able to isolate and destroy units one at a time (the first pod, the second pod, then the outflankers, and finally his firebase) without really worrying about the Vindicators.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: 1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves   1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12 2014, 13:16

Nice game, I was really hoping you'd manage to get the wolf priest too (don't like space puppies!)

I think the major problem with his list was only bringing two drop pods. I've only got the two at the moment for my marines and it really tends to hang one unit out to dry - in my case it's an ironclad though so is pretty tough in general.

As you say, the vindicators aren't really suited to facing DE, too many lances and not enough troops on foot.
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: 1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves   1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 12 2014, 23:28

Vindicvators are fine in this list if they had reserved.
Back to top Go down
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves   1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1500 points - Dark Eldar vs Space Wolves
Page 1 of 1