THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Grotesqurie HQ choices

Go down 
+2
The_Burning_Eye
Coreytt@BWG
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Coreytt@BWG
Slave

Grotesqurie HQ choices  Empty
PostSubject: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 00:06

Hello DE kin!

I've recently played two games utilizing the grotesqurie coven and man, I LOVE IT. It's a fun unit to play in terms of what they are fluff wise and what they can bring to the battle field. I (surprisingly) defeated a tau gunline and then an ultramarine force and these guys took next to no damage while also being very killy (when they got to touch stuff), which was SWEET.

The formation detachment was: x2 unit of grots with urin rakarth (SP?) embarked inside two raiders.

Eldar allied detatchment of: Farseer (mantle, spiritstone of l'athan, bike) two min units of DA's inside serpents

Dark eldar CAD consisting of archon (different load out for each game. Shadow field, huskblade and soul trap for one and armour of misery w/agonizer for the other) three units of min warriors inside venoms w/SC and two ravagers w/dark lances.

My question for you more experienced DE players is this: Is urin rakarth worth the extra 70pts? or would a regular humonculi get the job done all the same?

I think he brings a lot to the table in comparison to the regular humonclui: 12'' master of pain, T5, auto invul, 4+ FnP etc.. But I'm just not sure if it is worth the extra points. I mean I could have another venom pumping out 12 more poison shots.. or something to that effect..

Any input would be great!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMWop_5Uq3ZsEZysVR-Y73g
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 00:35

I used urien today and, paired with an archon in combat, was practically unkillable (thanks to the majority toughness of the unit being 5 and the majority WS being 7) when you consider it will not die.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 08:04

Wait, what?
Was that a unit of just the two ICs, Archon & Urien?

IF you've got the points, bringing Urien is probs worth it. He's a decent force multiplier and hard to put down. Couple that with a killy unit like Grots and get ready to engage trollface. I'd think if you're bringing multiple assault units then his Father of Pain rule is totally worth the points, but if he's running slightly more solo-ish then it's probably worth saving the points and just bringing a Haemy.
Haemy + Scissorhand, or maybe Agonizer, is all I'd do.

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 09:16

Yeah it was, they came through a WWP with some heat lance scourges then detached to charge a conscript unit.

If i were being really competitive I probably would have challenged his priest/commissar but my shadowfield had popped by then and I didn't want to risk taking wounds on a T3 5+ save warlord.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 11:59

Laughingcarp wrote:
Wait, what?

IF you've got the points, bringing Urien is probs worth it. He's a decent force multiplier and hard to put down. Couple that with a killy unit like Grots and get ready to engage trollface. I'd think if you're bringing multiple assault units then his Father of Pain rule is totally worth the points, but if he's running slightly more solo-ish then it's probably worth saving the points and just bringing a Haemy.
Haemy + Scissorhand, or maybe Agonizer, is all I'd do.

Yep, I agree with this. I would build your Grotsequerie with a Haemie + Scissorhands first, then add the rest of your army and if you have 60 extra points at the end, Urien is well worth the points, as I have found him to be almost unkillable in lots of games. The issue is he is a support HQ and doesn't usually pack a lot of punch himself. So if you can't find the points, make due with the Rending Haemie so you can squeeze more offense into your list elsewhere.

Back to top Go down
Coreytt@BWG
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 17:26

Thanks for the input guys! I think that I'll follow your advice sweetbacon, build a list around a regular haemie and see if I end up with the points to put Urien in. He is a beast so I won't hesitate if the 60pts are kickin around.

Again thanks!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMWop_5Uq3ZsEZysVR-Y73g
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 18:47

I use normal Haemy only. But I have had games where urien would have been nice. Going second Raider of the grots without ic is likely going to get shot and its occupants pinned. Urien would keep them fearless if needed.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 21:40

Vasara wrote:
I use normal Haemy only. But I have had games where urien would have been nice. Going second Raider of the grots without ic is likely going to get shot and its occupants pinned. Urien would keep them fearless if needed.

This is a good point.  Urien does make both squads fearless turn one.  But even if one squad gets pinned turn one, they automatically rally start of the turn two when their fearless kicks in, so in most cases it will be no big loss.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 29 2014, 11:06

Yes, but a rally unit cannot move or charge. Neither fleet.

Urien, or a second non-court-HQ for the second squad, are two best choice for the Grotesquerie imho
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 01 2014, 08:48

Not rally but stand up from being pinned. T2 they act normal even if they were pinned.

On the other hand if they failed their morale T1 but stayed on the board they would only automaticly rally 3" and stay there for a turn.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grotesqurie HQ choices    Grotesqurie HQ choices  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grotesqurie HQ choices
Page 1 of 1