THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?

Go down 
+5
Rokuro
Crazy_Irish
Klaivex Charondyr
barenone
melkorthetonedeaf
9 posters
AuthorMessage
melkorthetonedeaf
Hellion
melkorthetonedeaf

Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? Empty
PostSubject: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2015, 18:28

I didn't want to hijack Grimmcrimm's ranting post, but I'm curious. I am primarily drawn to DE particularly for the absolute coolness of the models. With the new codex being more interchangeable, compartmentalized and perhaps even more internally balanced than before, do you think now is the time to make that DE army based on "the rule of cool"?

For instance, Scourges? Look totally BAD-A, and now they aren't awful. Mandrakes? Still look deliciously evil and aren't.... as......bad. Vehicles and flyers still look rad and are still pretty much awesome looking cardboard with lots of guns. Ya know what? EVEN COVENS ARE COOL TO LOOK AT, and they've certainly gotten better.

What do you think? Is "buy what looks coolest" viable?
Back to top Go down
barenone
Kabalite Warrior
barenone

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2015, 18:37

most every model looks amazing, with a few exceptions. So it will be very easy I think. Some models look amazing but stink IE Voidraven, But you can look good regardless.
Back to top Go down
melkorthetonedeaf
Hellion
melkorthetonedeaf

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2015, 19:56

Then, I suppose it was a trick question!
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2015, 21:19

Short answer: no

Longer answer would invovle something about everyone has his own sense of aesthetics and there are not too many "ugly" DE models.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2015, 21:50

I have to agree with Klaivex Charondyr, the rule of cool is different for each and every one of us, but you already sad that you liked the coven models so rule of cool will work for you ;-)

I really like wyches and hellions, that makes for some harder games ;-)
But then again, it's the rule of cool, so hell yeah!
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2015, 22:47

Personally, I think that if you like a model, you will probably find a use for it, one way or another.

For example, I have a couple of Hellions, even though most players think they are awful. Why do I have them then? Because I wanted a unit of Dark Eldar riding Ripperdactyles! Very Happy
(My Kabal has certain ties to Exodites, fluff still WIP, but I want my models to represent that. Besides, I just love prehistoric creatures.)
And if I really can't find a good use for Hellions on the table, I can just proxy them as Beastmasters.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2015, 23:25

Since Dark Eldar don't have a single ugly model, (barring the two new HQs), I think it's totally possible.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10 2015, 00:56

as others have said, it very much depends on what models you consider bring the best aesthetic to the table.

I personally think that probably only wracks are the models i look at and think 'that's not gorgeous' but that's also part of their inherent fluff - they ain't supposed to be pretty.

I would have to say that of our models, my personal favourites are scourges, mandrakes, and reavers followed very closely by incubi and the Talos. as far as vehicles go, ours are much prettier than anyone else's, so yeah, you can definitely build a competitive list on that basis.
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10 2015, 08:37

I really like the looks of Wyches which seem to be rather bad, so maybe i might have to use them as
Lhamaeans, or find some hidden way to make them work as Wyches.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10 2015, 14:00

Rokuro wrote:
Personally, I think that if you like a model, you will probably find a use for it, one way or another.

I think this is a good point.

Also, if you like a model but not the rules, you could always have a go at converting it into something else.
Back to top Go down
melkorthetonedeaf
Hellion
melkorthetonedeaf

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03 2015, 17:18

Marrath wrote:
I really like the looks of Wyches which seem to be rather bad, so maybe i might have to use them as
Lhamaeans, or find some hidden way to make them work as Wyches.
I am hoping the extra Harlequins bits fit easily, cuz I have a whole mess of Wych legs/torsos.

I like this idea of converting so that I can have a cool army both rules and looks-wise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?   Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you build a competitive list solely based on aesthetics?
Page 1 of 1