THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Withering Gardens

Go down 
+6
Cavalier
Count Adhemar
Lord_Alino
CurstAlchemist
Dragontree
BlackCadian
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Demantiae
Sybarite
Demantiae

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2015, 19:36

Nice looking models, particularly that Succubus - really nice colour matching, subtle and striking ant the same time. I'm afraid I can't say the same for the troopers though. I think the contrast is too much between the colours. The first 3 toned guy looks wrong, like a traffic light Smile The second one is too bright, at least the orange is. I think the top of the second model looks like it has some potential - the charred/burned orange going almost to copper. Why not try basing the armour in black then adding orange shades going from almost black copperish into the burned orange, highlighting with a brighter (but not this bright) orange? You'd end up with a burned orange/copperish armour with black in the joints. Paint some areas (like the helm) black. Maybe reserve the bright orange for the eyes and parts of the gun?

Note way the colours of the succubus blend together. You want this on your troops too. She'd stand out nicely with their light armour if the troops were darker. And a black/orange/copper scheme might match her silver/bronze scheme quite well.

Of course may just be talking crap so feel free to ignore me Smile

Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2015, 21:51

Haha, thanks Lord Alino! It's just the angle of the shot fortunately that makes it look this way, the back foot is actually in the air as if he's just landing.

Cavalier, thanks for stopping by! I was hoping you'd stumble across my little log sooner or later, your own collection is truly inspiring! Thank you for the bits of fluff, too!

And Demantiae, thanks a lot for taking the time to post up some detailed suggestions! I'm glad you like the Succi! I've fixed the Agonizer color yesterday, and I found the chainwhip she's supposed to hold in her other hand, too. I'll post up a new pic tomorrow! By the way, those corsairs don't necessarily have to go super well with the Succubus as they're only an allied detachment. Once I've found a non-traffic-light (vy perceptively named! Very Happy) color scheme I've got a cool Corsair Prince coming up. I've one last idea to salvage the current color scheme (already started on it yesterday), then I'll give sour suggestions a try for sure. Sounds definitely cool and sinister!

Sybarite
Demantiae

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13 2015, 01:15

I think I have some kind of OCD when it comes to things matching, at least artistic things. I wouldn't be able to stand having an army where everything didn't match! I look at your Venom and although it's very pretty I'm thinking "it doesn't match, that's so annoying" bounce But then you see armies that are like that and the sheer amount of variety gives it it's own unified look. One thing I do like though (and I notice that not many miniature painters follow this) is muted/faded/pastel colours and shades for mini's. I've never liked big bold colours, I think muted colours blend better together and are easier on the eye.

I'm in the very early stages of my own force right now and one of my stumbling blocks is how to field both Scourge and Swooping Hawks in the same army, to make them look alike enough to obviously be the same army yet different enough to not have identical units with different names. Think I finally hit on the key today but it'll take time and cash to get it going (like 5 more boxes of Scourges for a start...). In the meantime I still gotta sort out my own colour scheme and make it work across the whole army.

Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13 2015, 20:09

An OCD like behaviour isnt the worst when it comes to creating your color scheme Smile Just out of curiosity, what regarding my Venom doesnt match? Do you mean combined with the Succi?

Alright now what do you think of this? I think I salvaged the color scheme:

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 736283_sm-

And here my Succubus finally finished with base and nice looking Agonizer:

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 736284_sm-

Sybarite
Demantiae

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14 2015, 13:02

The Venom works well with the Succi, I just don't think it blends with the corsair trooper colours. But I don't know what you're intention is for the rest of the your vehicles. If you add different patterns to them all (even different colours) then the entire thing combined could work even if two specific units don't match. This does look good for those armies that go that route.

I think you need to drop one of those colours from the corsair guy, or just mute the whole lot down. I don't know anything about the colour scheme of the army you're trying to replicate so I can't comment on that but from a purely visual perspective I don't see those troopers blending with your Succi at all. she has the whole muted metalic shade going on (which I love!) whilst the trooper has the big bold vibrant colour thing going on. Personally I would either drop a colour from the pallet, darken and mute the whole model (with less vibrant colours) or go the route of the Succi with the metalics. I would likely go with the 3rd option of matching the Succi but this is completely ignoring any canon factions and just going with what I think looks good.

I think if you want the vibrant oranges and yellows etc then you have to match that across your army (like some of those bold Craftworld colour schemes). Seems like you're torn on painting/colour styles right now. Maybe have a google of peoples Craftworld armies, look for some that are using orange and see how they pull it off?

Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15 2015, 13:25

Alright! Excellent, now I get it Smile What I probably should have explained better is that as the Corsair allies aren't supposed to match really. I actually wanted to do a fairly different color scheme, so thats alright!

Personally I think the Succubus doesnt match very well either with the teal color scheme, but I wanted to do something different to represent the armor of misery.

Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15 2015, 13:51

One side question... How and where do you upload the pictures? I tried Google Drive and photos, but it doesn't work to embed them here.

Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15 2015, 14:16

Hi Captn! I found uploading them over at dakka works very well and its super easy, too. Just stick them into your gallery and from there you get a link which you just have to copy and paste here, very hassle free!

Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29 2015, 14:47

Time for an update - my gaming club will host a small tournament end of September - and I'm a little worried that we might be lacking scenery. So with my gf out of town for 9 days I've decided to occupy the dining room table and get started on cranking out some nice pieces - have a look:

First up I want more nice trees! I love tree models! The more expensive ones are REALLY nice imho.

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 740086_sm-

So yeah, there should be more updates coming soon, models too!

Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29 2015, 19:20

Alright, somewhat sick of trees and scenery I did a little work on my Medusae - I'll need 6 for an upcoming tournament, and of course I won't buy the official models. Lets be honest here - GW did mail it in on those, almost as bad as the Grotesques.

So what do you think of my first kitbashed Medusae?

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 740116_sm-

I'm pretty happy with it myself Smile

Aaand heres a sneak peek of my WIP (almost finished) Grotesques:

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 740117_sm-

Now these I'm really proud of, I think they look just awesome!

Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30 2015, 08:15

Just put the last finishing touches on - I love them! They're only a tiny bit smaller than the original model so nobody should have an issue with them. As a side note - has anyone ever noticed the original model wearing sandals, of all things? I mean, seriously? I guess now at least we know why they don't have fleet...

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 740249_sm-

Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04 2015, 20:06

Finally finished my Corsairs, or at least, finished enough for my P250 group:

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 741516_sm-

The paint scheme was a bit rushed to be honest because my first idea didn't turn out well at all, but now I'm fairly happy with them. Maybe I'll come back at some point and do the details properly or change a color, we'll see.

Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05 2015, 11:05

Loving the grots. Great stuff dude Smile

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18 2015, 19:26

Thank you Spellcheck!! I love them too! Can't wait to have them painted, although I'm a real slow painter :/

PS: I'll most likely end up stealing some of your Space Wolves ideas, especially the Iron Priest on Thunderwolf!

Next up: How to build a better Medusae!

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 744922_sm-

Admittedly they're not as awesome as the Grots, but still wayyyy coole than the original models imo! What do you guys think? Some love for my Medusae?

Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18 2015, 20:49

They look too much like Slaanesh demons. Don't really like the....

Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 10:06

Hey dude. I like the concept but feel it needs just a little more work to make them less like slaneeshi daemons. Maybe do some work on the feet to make then less hoof like and something on the face perhaps. I use goggles a lot to transform models just by adding them to the faces. I get them from here

http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/large-round-goggles-x5

Hope some of that helps a little. I like where these are going but just needs that extra push to make it really cool and different

SC jocolor

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 15:52

Aw no love Sad Tough audience tonight Wink

Maybe it's because nobody in my club/meta plays chaos demons, so I haven't actually seen daemonettes live prior to buying them. What I want to say is that I don't associate them immediately with another army.

I don't actually think they fit in that poorly. I thought the legs work well to differentiate them from the dark kin as medusae are some kind of slave/mercenary race as far as I know. And the eyes I'll probably paint a solid black as I imagine that's where their powe shoots from. With black veins crossing over the whole eye area, like in horror movies.

So yeah, I hope you'll like them better once their're painted up, and thanks for the comments and criticism!

Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24 2015, 15:44

Finally finished the biggest part of my next P250 pledge. I hate how long I take for painting, I'm SO slow! But these have really been worth it: behold - my Grotesques!

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 752814_sm-Grotesques

In the end they turned out a little more low tech than I hoped, but I'm still vers happy with them. Blood for the Blood God is an awesome color btw!

Slave
hailian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27 2015, 17:58

Your grots look good! I totally feel you on the painting slow business. I paint at a snails pace and shake all the while during the process. Makes it hard to get a lot done at once.

Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28 2015, 07:24

Thank you Hailian, and welcome to the forums! Yeah exactly! I'm just glad my gaming group started this 8-week P250 campaign at the beginning of the year, or I wouldn't get anything done at all.

It's such a rewarding sight though when you finally get to play even just small games with a completely painted army Smile

Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 15 2016, 08:53

So, as I mentioned - I am a slow painter. But also, I don't really like to show WIP. Hence, 6 months later, an update. My original plan was, and still is, to assemble a force of 850 pts completely painted and based Dark Eldar. 850, because 1-2 times a year there's a small tournament with just that size, and I intend to win best painted. I don't say that because I think I'm a perfect painter, but I've sunk plenty of hours into my force and feel that I stand a fair chance. I have a centerpiece with my Razorwing and plenty of other interesting miniatures included, not least of all my Grots which whom I am very happy!

But enough talking, I've finally finished my Haemonculus warlord, the Razorwing base, the Raider complete with Wrack crew, and my Talos and his unfortunate victim. Hope you like them!

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 800058_sm-

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 800057_sm-

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 800056_sm-

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 800054_sm-

Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 800055_sm-

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Withering Gardens
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: