THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Withering Gardens

Go down 
+6
Cavalier
Count Adhemar
Lord_Alino
CurstAlchemist
Dragontree
BlackCadian
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

Kabal of the Withering Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05 2015, 16:27

Hey everyone! Now playing Dark Eldar for over 6 months I have finally decided on a color scheme and have almost completed my first model. I'm very excited to read your comments and opinions.

As a little bit of background for those interested, originally I wanted to mostly copy Mechanicum Jon's color scheme from Dakka, which is teal with heavy weathering. I did some test models and really liked the scheme, however before I could proceed much further other painting projects got into the way, so I never got past 2 jetbikes. Then I came across Craftworld Mymeria, which is also teal, but with more white and less gold, and also a gradient from blue to green. Which is fine when you've got an airbrush, which I don't (and also don't have the space for). THEN I came across some stencils from a Kickstarter campaign, and in the description it said that you could also use them with a spray can. Hmmmmm I thought - maybe I could also get that gradient done with a spray can? Long stoy short, have a look at my first Venom of the Kabal of the Withering Gardens and let me know what you think!

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 719255_sm-

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 719233_sm-

There's no weathering yet and no pilot, but apart from that I consider it finished. Now the only thing I not really sure about is the white dragon scales. Somehow... I don't know, are they too bright/too contrasting? There'll be white on the troops, too, but... yeah, I'm not 100% sure :/

Last edited by BlackCadian on Fri Jun 05 2015, 16:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05 2015, 16:37

I really like the scheme, the dragon scales add a really nice individual note to it and I think you can really make it pop with a rider who compliments the scales more than the blue.

I look forward to seeing how you use the scales throughout your army Smile
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06 2015, 12:09

Thank you Dragontree Smile I'm working on Scourges right now and hope to post some pics later on!
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06 2015, 20:08

Got a ton of hours in today - a rare day indeed! I think I've almost non stop painted from 2 pm till 9 pm, and I'm always amazed at how little I actually get done!

Anyway, the finished Venom (added the pilot, a different canopy and weathering)

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 719580_sm-

My Succubus on her almost finished base and her power weapon gone wrong but turned out OK after all:

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 719578_sm-

And my almost finished first Scourge - I've got to add some more color, I just haven't decided yet how and where and which:

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 719579_sm-

Man, I really love how the Venom turned out - and in comparison the 2 other models look like... meh Sad

Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06 2015, 20:10

Also, maybe using a light box isn't always that great - I almost like the very first pic from my living room table better...
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14 2015, 03:39

Your Succubus has given me some inspiration on making a kit bashed Archon. I really like the Venom, it turned out great.
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18 2015, 18:57

Hey, thanks Alchemist, glad to have inspired you! Especially with Dark Eldar I find kitbashing fairly easy, and the results are most of the time really cool, too. At least I like my Succi more than the official GW one Smile
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18 2015, 19:00

And an update - my second Venom is finished (sans crew), I decided to do a slight variation of the pattern and am very happy with it!

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 722665_sm-

Also, look what came in the mail today:

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 722664_sm-

Looking forward to building those, and I already have a color scheme in mind, too!
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20 2015, 01:12

Like both variations of the venom.

I just got in my Eldar Corsairs conversion kit as well and it was missing 5 wings Sad now I'm waiting probably a month to get them.
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25 2015, 21:26

5 wings missing?! Thats a ton! There should be 20 in there right? But a least you'll get a whole new kit. That's what I think is some good customer service. I know those plastic bits don't really cost them much, but still.

I just finished my Razorwing by the way:

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 724220_sm-

The base still needs snow, and I'll have to bend the wire so the plane is looking forward, but slanted sideways, and I'll see if I can make it look like 2 missles are fired, we'll see if I can pull it off.
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25 2015, 23:39

From the email I got it sounds like they are sending me only the 5 missing wings unfortunately. I will have to see what I get when they arive.

More on topics, I like your base, the face and trees are unique, I don't think I've seeen a flying base done in this manner before. Look forward to seeing more.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26 2015, 04:25

I like the scaly bits. How do you do them?
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26 2015, 08:11

Thanks Alchemist! Flyer bases have lots of room for additional scenery, which is cool imho. The only thing I don't like about them is the fairly static "pose" it forces flyers into, so I replaced the see-through stand with a... well, with a wire coat hanger. Had plenty of those lying around and they're just the right thickness. Now planes get to have dynamic poses, too! Very Happy

Shame about the 5 wings only - a Succubus model I bought had a hole in her face, and they sent my a completely new one.

Lord Alino, getting those scales done was fairly easy. I bought the stencils at www.anarchymodels.co.uk, they have different sizes, too. And they are flexible and self-adhesive, which is great!

I basecoat my vehicles with Incubi Darkness, paint on 2 layers of Kabalite Green, spray some Tamiya blue on the model from the front only to achieve a gradient (you can't really see that very well in the pics), and lastly I fix the stencil to the model and spray skull white over it. Took some trial and error but now I'm really happy with the result!
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26 2015, 17:36

Incubi Darkness is my favorite GW paint. I used it on all my 40k models. And I may need to pick some stencils up.
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13 2015, 17:28

Not directly related to my Dark Eldar, but weeeee - my gaming mat arrived today! As well as my first pieces of scenery!

Check it out:

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 728106_sm-

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 728107_sm-

PS: Tomorrow I'll be able to show something REALLY cool!

Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13 2015, 17:30

I look forward to seeing it.
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14 2015, 08:45

Last Saturday I had the doubtful pleasure of going up against Necrons due to no one else turning up to our 8-weekly P250 matchup. This one was 750 pts of fully painted glory, and even though I got thumped, I just had to enhance one of the sweet pics I took! Nothing beats playing on a beautiful gaming table with beautiful terrain and 2 beautiful armies!

What do you think?

Kabal of the Withering Gardens Tsuettis

Kabal of the Withering Gardens Myvicyue

Also, I couldn't decide between the Razorwing firing or not, which one do you like better? I'm not super happy with the dark light to be honest, but couldn't think of how to improve it.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14 2015, 09:06

I like the Dark Lances firing. It's also pretty realistic as no Necrons appear to have died from it!
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14 2015, 09:19

Thanks Count!

Realistic no sh*t, I dropped 4 missles on that blob, caused 27 wounds and ended up with a grand total of 3-5 casualties. I mean... really?! 4+ armor, 4+ ress rolls (attached character) and slightly above average rolling from my opponent will do that to you.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15 2015, 02:16

Where do you play that has such a nice gameboard?
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15 2015, 06:32

We meet up every month in a community room, we bring our own gaming mats and scenery. Sadly, there's no store or such around here where I live.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15 2015, 08:07

Grats to the guy that made the gameboard
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10 2015, 20:52

Thanks Lord Alino! I believe having a nice gaming board adds as much to a fun game of 40K as two nicely painted armies!

Right now I'm working on the next 250pts for our local campaign, and I've decided on adding those corsairs to my dark eldar. I feel they add some additional flexibility and also, the models are great!

I had already decided on a color scheme, going in the rough direction of sunblitz brotherhood, but its just not coming together. I've been working on 2 models the last couple of days - but dont particular like either. Something about the colors not working together.

What do you guys think?

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 735521_sm-

Kabal of the Withering Gardens 735522_sm-
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11 2015, 17:53

Not bad. I like how he's cluelessly backing off the edge Razz
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2015, 12:11

The first one looks a bit divided with three toned armor, but I think the second one looks good! They do look a bit more like the Lugganath Craftworld scheme then Sunblitz but there is actually supposed to be a very strong connection between the two of them, with the Sunblitz brotherhood using Lugganath as one of their waystations. I think once you put a wash on them and do some highlights you may feel differently.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Withering Gardens   Kabal of the Withering Gardens I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Withering Gardens
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next