THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)

Go down 
+15
Mr Believer
doctorz
Creeping Darkness
piflamesofwar
Siticus the Ancient
Squidmaster
PartridgeKing
zizza1400
Jimsolo
Jonoroba
dumpeal
Surgeongeneral
Dragontree
Tainted
Thor665
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) Empty
PostSubject: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09 2015, 16:30

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) Book-a10

The Fluff
Spoiler:

The Rules

Welcome to Secrets of the Hidden Library, a recurring fiction competition here in The Dark City.
The purpose of this competition is to create some works of fiction, have some fun reading them, earn some prizes, and hopefully enjoy it all enough to do it again in the future.

Anyone may participate (besides the judges, and they know who they are)

The Story

• You will write a story, 500 (five hundred) words or less (but not more, seriously now).

Post the story in the Stories & Art; The Black Library forum here on TDC.

Please also post in this thread with a link to your story - indicating you wish it to be part of the competition.

I would also encourage you to include a notation in the topic title about it being an entry - to help readers find and locate them when browsing.

The only limitation to what the story is about is that it should feature Dark Eldar - and also utilize the theme word in some manner.

You may use the theme word in any manner you wish, feel free to be creative!

The story should have a title - the title will not count as part of the word count.

You may write more than one entry, but must indicate to judges which entry you are submitting for judging, you may change your mind at any point up until deadline.

The Theme Word
THIRST.

Deadline

You may post your story at any time.
No stories posted *after* July 14th, 12am, EST will be eligible for judging or prizes.
You may edit your story at any time - but any edits after July 14th may leave you disqualified for prize support.

Judging

Myself and the other two judges will begin judging the stories on July 14th.
There will also be a Reader's Choice award poll put up - where anyone can vote for any story as the 'best'

Scoring will be based on a 1-10 scale in the following categories;

Use of theme word.
1 point = it was just randomly in a sentence and had no meaning within the work.
10 points = highly creative use of word, or meaning behind the word, to advance the story and connect the story to the theme word.

Quality of narrative.
1 point = I fell asleep trying to read it.
10 points = Really interesting, made me enjoy reading it throughout.

Grammar, punctuation, and appearance.
1 point = solid block of text, written in l33t sp33k, no punctuation at all.
10 points = Proper use of punctuation, no misspellings could be noticed, all words used correctly, neat paragraphs spaced for readability.

Prizes

There will be a prize for 1st, 2nd, and Reader's Choice awards.
We will come up with a prize pool consisting of books, models, or other DE related stuff...frankly I'll admit we're going to come up with volunteers from the Mod staff to get you prizes based on which of the volunteer mods are closest to your mailing address Wink

Have Fun

Anyone not having fun will be eligible for banning at any time Wink

I look forward to seeing what you can all come up with.

Last edited by Thor665 on Thu Aug 06 2015, 20:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tainted
Slave
Tainted

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 09:41

Wake up, you've slept
Death, Undeath must replenish
Arena sustenance

I want to win this as much as Vect himself would, on NBC's Survivor.
So psyched
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11 2015, 10:57

Please find my entry in the link below Smile

Love No More
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2015, 16:50

Tainted wrote:
   Wake up, you've slept
Death, Undeath must replenish
     Arena sustenance

I want to win this as much as Vect himself would, on NBC's Survivor.
So psyched
cheers

Dragontree wrote:
Please find my entry in the link below Smile

Love No More
Awesome, congrats on being the first official entry this year - now I just need to get at least 19 more so I can achieve my hoped for 20+ entries Wink
Back to top Go down
Surgeongeneral
Slave
Surgeongeneral

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14 2015, 03:43

I have posted my entry as well.

Here is the link:

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12404-the-oasis-sought
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14 2015, 04:41

Awesome! Glad to have your entry.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15 2015, 17:59

Here is mine.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12410-weapon-of-mass-thirst#139232

Now, for all other applicants, please, send me your IRL adress in private for a Darwinian Pre-selection. To ensure there will only be 3 applicants Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Jonoroba
Slave
Jonoroba

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17 2015, 16:35

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12429-hulk-hunt#139361

All i ask is to be truthful as this is my first dark eldar fanfic
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18 2015, 05:03

Question about the topic word: as a word with lots of variants, is only the root acceptable? ("Thirst" as opposed to "thirster," "thirsty," thirsting," or "thirsted," as for example.)

It's a serious component of the judging (and at least one of the judges was super harsh on this last year). I know at least one judge scored me (and everyone else) a zero on this front, and some of the entries were spectacular, using the topic word not only as a theme for the whole story, but incorporating it's meaning on multiple levels; especially impressive given the 500 word limitation. With a score that low, I can't help but feel like there's some essential component we're missing.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19 2015, 00:00

I do not recall any judge giving zeroes across the board (though, in a way, that is functionally balanced if they did) and can't really speak as to their desires if they did do so.

I can say that, for me, you don't even need to use the word 'Thirst' in the story at all, as long as even the theme or concept of the word made it in. So, yes, I would be perfectly fine with thirsty or thirster in a story.

I cannot speak for the other judges' personal opinions as to what they would score higher, but the rules are quite clear on this being an acceptable choice, and they are supposed to judge on those criteria.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20 2015, 04:08

Sorry, misremembered the post from lo those many months ago. Very Happy

One judge from last year gave no on a top score for the theme word, I meant to say.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22 2015, 21:45

A little over 3 weeks left in the competition now at this stage.

Still plenty of time to write, but I like to remind people...to cause fear and panic Wink
Back to top Go down
zizza1400
Hellion
zizza1400

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30 2015, 00:09

Oh boy, stories Very Happy I'm in:

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12523-audience-for-one#140599
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03 2015, 13:57

I've been out of town, so you've missed some of my fearmongering, but I'd like to note that we're down to eleven days at this point. That's less than two weeks.
That is only two weekends!

At the pace I writ, this would be the 'you should definitely get started' point.

Looking forward to reading the current five entries - thank you all for participating.
Also looking forward to all potential future entries - time's ticking Wink
Back to top Go down
PartridgeKing
Sybarite
PartridgeKing

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06 2015, 18:44

And my own entry.

Debt Collection

Also a link to the two other's I wrote as alternatives, though obviously only submitting the above.
'Conclave of Biel-Tan' and 'The Blade'
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06 2015, 20:59

PartridgeKing wrote:
Also a link to the two other's I wrote as alternatives, though obviously only submitting the above.
'Conclave of Biel-Tan' and 'The Blade'
Very Happy
Why does this not surprise me?
Back to top Go down
PartridgeKing
Sybarite
PartridgeKing

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06 2015, 23:48

Well it does seem to by a theme of mine these days. The tyranny of ideas and all that. Razz
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07 2015, 09:45

Thought I'd pop into this one.
My entry in the link below:

Drink...
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08 2015, 23:10

It's been ages since I wrote anything related to the Dark Kin. A good opportunity to get back into it.

Here's my entry - http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12573-she-who-thirsts#141290
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08 2015, 23:11

Awesome! Look forward to reading it.
Back to top Go down
piflamesofwar
Slave
piflamesofwar

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09 2015, 19:59

The link to my story, thanks for holding this awesome competition!

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12577-can-t-survive-without#141344
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09 2015, 20:08

Not a problem!

Also, as a reminder to folks, you're getting down to a touch less than a week, and only one weekend, to get in your stories before the deadline. I will be out of town when the deadline hits so may be slow in announcing it - but the deadline will hold per the time/date stamps on the site, so no funny business beyond stuff within the story Wink
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13 2015, 05:30

I almost didn't make it!

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12596-she-who-thirsts

At 499 words, my story "She Who Thirsts," took me a lot longer than last year's. I was holding off reading everyone else's for fear of stealing something, (or worse yet, finding out someone else had the same idea I did!) but now I look forward to taking a look at the rest of the entries!
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13 2015, 07:44

I'll throw my story into the ring as well, coming in hours before the deadline and at 500 words on the dot:

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12598-i-never-drink

It was good fun, thanks Thor for holding the comp and I'll look forward to reading through the other stories!
Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13 2015, 10:07

Christ the standard of these is great!

I feel writing the first story wasn't a good tactical move Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 3rd Annual Fiction Competition. (COMPETITION OVER - winners on Page 3!)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next