THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6

Go down 
+22
misanthrope
Ailaros
Darkgreen Pirate
Gobsmakked
orestes85
The Crystal Archon
ArmchairOrrery
Panic_Puppet
Salvarin
seggygetshyphy
Anterzhul
Unorthodoxy
Vindicavi
Cakeaunoob
Haagrum
Lady Malys
KnightSeerValkia
dokclaw
Baron Tordeck
Jimsolo
clively
Thor665
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 Empty
PostSubject: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeThu May 01 2014, 03:44

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 Book-a10

The Fluff
Spoiler:

The Rules

Welcome to Secrets of the Hidden Library, a recurring fiction competition here in The Dark City.
The purpose of this competition is to create some works of fiction, have some fun reading them, earn some prizes, and hopefully enjoy it all enough to do it again in the future.

Anyone may participate (besides the judges, and they know who they are)

The Story

• You will write a story, 500 (five hundred) words or less (but not more, seriously now).

Post the story in the Stories & Art; The Black Library forum here on TDC.

Please also post in this thread with a link to your story - indicating you wish it to be part of the competition.

I would also encourage you to include a notation in the topic title about it being an entry - to help readers find and locate them when browsing.

The only limitation to what the story is about is that it should feature Dark Eldar - and also utilize the theme word in some manner.

You may use the theme word in any manner you wish, feel free to be creative!

The story should have a title - the title will not count as part of the word count.

You may write more than one entry, but must indicate to judges which entry you are submitting for judging, you may change your mind at any point up until deadline.

The Theme Word
PRIDE.

Deadline

You may post your story at any time.
No stories posted *after* June 8th, 12am, EST will be eligible for judging or prizes.
You may edit your story at any time - but any edits after June 8th may leave you disqualified for prize support.

Judging

Myself and the other two judges will begin judging the stories on June 8th.
There will also be a Reader's Choice award poll put up - where anyone can vote for any story as the 'best'

Scoring will be based on a 1-10 scale in the following categories;

Use of theme word.
1 point = it was just randomly in a sentence and had no meaning within the work.
10 points = highly creative use of word, or meaning behind the word, to advance the story and connect the story to the theme word.

Quality of narrative.
1 point = I fell asleep trying to read it.
10 points = Really interesting, made me enjoy reading it throughout.

Grammar, punctuation, and appearance.
1 point = solid block of text, written in l33t sp33k, no punctuation at all.
10 points = Proper use of punctuation, no misspellings could be noticed, all words used correctly, neat paragraphs spaced for readability.

Prizes

There will be a prize for 1st, 2nd, and Reader's Choice awards.
We will come up with a prize pool consisting of books, models, or other DE related stuff...frankly I'll admit we're going to come up with volunteers from the Mod staff to get you prizes based on which of the volunteer mods are closest to your mailing address Wink

If you're in the Continental US I will probably be the mod who will send you prizes and I will offer you a list to choose from - letting 1st, Reader's Choice, and 2nd have choosing preference in that order - other volunteer gift givers will be able to choose their own methods, but considering some of the conversation about gift ideas I do pretty much promise you'll get something cool.  Smile

Have Fun

Anyone not having fun will be eligible for banning at any time Wink

I look forward to seeing what you can all come up with.

Last edited by Thor665 on Tue Jun 24 2014, 04:02; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite
clively

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeThu May 01 2014, 22:44

Here's my entry for the competition:

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t9205-orb-of-despair-secrets-of-the-hidden-library-2nd-annual-fiction-competition#97850

Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 02 2014, 00:59

Did I catch the word limit correctly? Not complaining, just making sure. (500 is pretty short for 40k fiction.) I just want to make sure I'm not in a situation where I'm submitting flash fic and everyone else just 'knew' that Thor meant 1500 or something.
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 02 2014, 01:25

It is five hundred.

Forum Rules - Read and Obey - Or Else!
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 02 2014, 01:39

Jimsolo wrote:
Did I catch the word limit correctly?  Not complaining, just making sure.  (500 is pretty short for 40k fiction.)  I just want to make sure I'm not in a situation where I'm submitting flash fic and everyone else just 'knew' that Thor meant 1500 or something.
Last year we did a 350 word limit, and it worked out pretty well, but people did ask for a longer go of it. So this year it's 500, you are reading that correctly. I find the short length can become an interesting barrier for the competitors because it's surprising how quickly it will creep up and limit you, and at the same time it helps keep the story very focused.

Back to top Go down
dokclaw
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 02 2014, 02:08

Here is a link to my entry. I had been thinking about writing some more fluff for a while, and this has provided a nice reason to do so!

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t9206-dolmadaen-s-end-secrets-of-the-hidden-library-2nd-annual-fiction-competition#97868
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 02 2014, 02:30

I'm already excited we have two entries already - you guys racked those out! (you're way more efficient than I, the lord of eternally unfinished stories...) It will be interesting to see how we do in comparison to last year for number of entries. Most people seemed to want the word limit longer, so this might oddly mean more entries than the shorter competition - go figure Wink

As usual, I know I'm not going to read them till the judging starts, because I want to just have that first impression moment, and also do it all at once so I have a similar mindset. I do, of course, encourage others to partake however it pleases them.

Back to top Go down
KnightSeerValkia
Kabalite Warrior
KnightSeerValkia

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 02 2014, 16:19

500 Words to small? Last time it was 350 and it seemed fine to me, but then The First Cut was only 185 words...

And when the pistol goes off it sparks and you're ready for surgery..Surgery~

Cavash wrote:
I wouldn't send anybody to kill you, I'm not that sort of DEldar... if I wanted you dead I'd do it myself! Very Happy 

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 Hiddenlibrary2nd-1
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 02 2014, 18:26

Hmm, Pride. The sin Dark Eldar do best. This should be interesting Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 02 2014, 19:57

For the curious, my final word selection choice was;

Pride
Lascivious
Shriek

I think all could have been pretty interesting, but Pride spoke to me.

Back to top Go down
Haagrum
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeSat May 03 2014, 18:06

Some great entries so far - competition should be intense, but that's the Dark Eldar way, after all.

Here's my entry - The Fall of Thandrom
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 06:38

So, does the theme word actually have to appear in the story itself? Or can it simple be about the theme word?
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 07:10

From the rules

Quote :
Use of theme word.
1 point = it was just randomly in a sentence and had no meaning within the work.
10 points = highly creative use of word, or meaning behind the word, to advance the story and connect the story to the theme word.

Interpret that as you will.

Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 16:58

Yeah, I saw that.  Very Happy  I was just curious how other people were interpreting it...
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 21:47

I think last year one of the top three stories didn't actually have the word directly in the story.

You may interpret that as you will also Wink

Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 22:09

Thanks!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Cakeaunoob
Cake Who Thirsts
Cakeaunoob

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2014, 15:17

Good luck to everyone! Here's my entry. Smile
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t9228-the-usurper-secrets-of-the-hidden-library-fiction-competition

The Trickster
The Usurper
Back to top Go down
http://cakeaunoob.deviantart.com
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2014, 15:33

Awesome! Thank you.

Back to top Go down
Haagrum
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2014, 12:37

Just wanted to clarify one point - it seems fairly clear from the rules that this is the case, but there's a limit of one story per person? Best foot (or claw, or pseudopod) forward and all that?
Back to top Go down
Cakeaunoob
Cake Who Thirsts
Cakeaunoob

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2014, 12:39

I believe so.

The Trickster
The Usurper
Back to top Go down
http://cakeaunoob.deviantart.com
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2014, 14:26

From the rules

Quote :
You may write more than one entry, but must indicate to judges which entry you are submitting for judging, you may change your mind at any point up until deadline.

Back to top Go down
Haagrum
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2014, 14:53

Baron Tordeck wrote:
From the rules

Quote :

Suspect 

/self-dopeslap

Thank you, Baron Tordeck.  It would've helped if I'd read the rules more closely before asking that question.
Back to top Go down
Vindicavi
Kabalite Warrior
Vindicavi

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2014, 23:26

Well guess I'll toss my entry into the ring whilst I'm here.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t9243-on-loathsome-wings-secrets-of-the-hidden-library-2nd-annual-fiction-competition#98250
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeThu May 08 2014, 03:33

Excellent!

Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitimeThu May 08 2014, 19:59

Hmm, this looks like a fun contest. You guys are doing some work here I see.

http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6   Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Secrets of the Hidden Library - 2nd Annual FIction Competition - WINNERS ON PAGE 6
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next