THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation

Go down 
+3
The Shredder
Fraust
Blackfel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Blackfel
Hellion
Blackfel

A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation Empty
PostSubject: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2015, 17:44

I'm going to be playing in my very first Apocalypse game in a few weeks, and I have a question concerning one of the formations available to the Dark Eldar.

Way back in hallowed antiquity (i.e., White Dwarf #15), the rules for a formation called the Kabalite Stormsurge were released. It's a fairly straightforward formation, with a single Archon, three units of either Kabalite Warriors or Trueborn, and three units of Reaver Jetbikes. The "Options and Formation Restrictions" note says "The formation's Infantry units must begin the game embarked in Raider Transports."

Under the Special Rules it goes on to mention
Quote :
Stormsurge: The units in this formation are not deployed at the start of the battle or kept in Strategic reserve. Instead, in the Movement Phase of their side's first turn, the Raider on which the Archon is embarked is placed anywhere on the table, and then all other units in the Formation are placed within 12" of the Archon's Raider. All units must be placed on Open Ground and more than 1" away from any enemy models. Any models that cannot be deployed for any reason are removed as casualties.

Here are my questions:

1) The Archon does not have an option to take a Raider by himself. Does that mean he must join one of the units of Kabalite Warriors or Trueborn on their Raider? Or can he join a Court of the Archon and appropriate their Raider Transport for his own use?

2) As the unit specifically says it will NOT be entering the board from Strategic Reserve, does that mean they are immune to the Interceptor rule? The Interceptor Rule states "At the end of the enemy Movement phase, a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from Reserve within its range and line of sight."

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Fraust
Hellion
Fraust

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2015, 20:12

Keep in mind apoc is not designed to be overly balanced...and that's compared to GW's normal levels of wonky balance...

The way I take it, going off what you wrote, I would say the archon has to start with one of the warrior/true born units. I don't think an archon from this formation could take a court any more than I think a big mek from Morgok's Boss Boys can take a little mek...but I could easily be missing something.

I'd definitely say it ignores Interceptor, as you said, the units didn't arrive from reserve. They should also be able to assault the turn they come in unless I'm missing something.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2015, 20:18

Blackfel wrote:

Here are my questions:

1) The Archon does not have an option to take a Raider by himself. Does that mean he must join one of the units of Kabalite Warriors or Trueborn on their Raider? Or can he join a Court of the Archon and appropriate their Raider Transport for his own use?

Interesting point.

Obviously you can't take a Court of the Archon as part of the formation, but if you have one in a separate CAD, you might be able to get away with embarking the Archon on their Raider. Not very helpfully worded, really.

Blackfel wrote:

2) As the unit specifically says it will NOT be entering the board from Strategic Reserve, does that mean they are immune to the Interceptor rule? The Interceptor Rule states "At the end of the enemy Movement phase, a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from Reserve within its range and line of sight."

I believe it is indeed immune.
Back to top Go down
Fraust
Hellion
Fraust

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2015, 21:09

After looking at all the rules I retract my idea on them assaulting, but still go along with what I said earlier, and agree with what Shredder said.

I'm going to have to see about talking my homies into allowing apoc formations into "normal" 40k...that LD pen is indescribably attractive...
Back to top Go down
Blackfel
Hellion
Blackfel

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2015, 22:18

No kidding on the Leadership modifier.  On the first turn, the Stormsurge gives the enemy a - 3 mod.  I'm giving my Archon the Armor of Misery for another - 2. If we weren't fighting Imperials, I would equip the Raiders with Torment grenade launchers and let the hilarity ensue.
Back to top Go down
Fraust
Hellion
Fraust

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16 2015, 23:55

I put TGLs on a couple raiders as I don't see wall to wall space marines in my area...and I like 'em. Wouldn't take more than two or so in most lists.

Normally I run succubi with the AoM, but yeah, in this case an archon...then bring in a shadowseer with the Mask of Secrets...maybe squeeze a grotesquerie in there Wink
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18 2015, 10:23

I'm going to email Geedubs asking if they can remove the apocalypse only restriction on this.

It's powerful yet not when compared to the massive cheese platter formations they've been serving up recently.

Even though i know they won't listen its worth a try and I'd encourage you all to do the same.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18 2015, 11:27

Yeah........remember when we enmasse emailed the same batch of FAQ questions to GW, in the hope that large numbers would make them pay attention? And when they finally did do an FAQ, they completely ignored it?
Yea, best of luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18 2015, 11:39

Painjunky wrote:
I'm going to email Geedubs asking if they can remove the apocalypse only restriction on this.  

Don't be silly, man!

Why, if this formation was allowed, DE might actually scratch the paint on a couple of SM Razorbacks, before being blown to smithereens by the other 3 dozen.

That just wouldn't be cricket.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18 2015, 13:27

You can't compare anyone to Space Marines. They get everything for free. They are the poster boys. But against most other armies it might be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18 2015, 13:29

I think its fair to compare to Space Marines considering they account for at least 50% of all armies.
And lets be honest, in the unlikely event GW DID allow it, it wouldn;t be the only one. Other Formations would follow, and they would be a lot worse for us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18 2015, 13:35

CptMetal wrote:
You can't compare anyone to Space Marines. They get everything for free. They are the poster boys. But against most other armies it might be awesome!

I think you might have misunderstood what I meant.

My point was simply that I can't see GW removing the 'apocalypse only' restriction from our formation.

Which is a shame because I'd really like to be able to use it.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19 2015, 00:17

Lol, no kidding! A -3 Ld bubble from a scatterless deep striker? The Freakshow contingent votes yes, please!
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19 2015, 10:24

Smile I thought freakshow players would love to use this formation! As would I. Anyway email sent i let you all know if i get a reply.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19 2015, 11:11

I'm more interested in the alpha-strike possibilities. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation   A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A couple of question about the Kabalite Stormsurge Apocalypse Formation
Page 1 of 1