THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Harlequin allies?

Go down 
+15
lelith
Causalis
The Red King
Skari
the_scotsman
Azdrubael
assassin
Archon Vitcus
Massaen
Devilogical
Klaivex Charondyr
colinsherlow
Count Adhemar
Xm0shcryptX
Razkien
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
the_scotsman
Hellion
the_scotsman

Harlequin allies? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12 2016, 22:21

Starweavers are relatively solid-just think of it as a slightly pricier venom with night shields that has slightly more target agnostic firepower.

It's nice you can fit a troupe in at minimum size and have room for a ride along character.
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16 2016, 00:42

Love the heroes path especially in the freak show list.

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16 2016, 06:09

Love the path for the freakshow as well. Death is not enough is an amazing rule for feeding units into your deathstar. A cast of players works very well along side a CTC, granting crusader to help them get up field and forcing units into their charge range for vp.

Kabalite Warrior
Razkien

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23 2016, 15:36

Skari wrote:
Love the heroes path especially in the freak show list.

Just watched your bat rep against the new Wulfen with the Heroes Path. The formation looks very fun IMO.
Back to top Go down
Causalis
Kabalite Warrior
Causalis

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28 2016, 23:32

So I bought the models required for the Heroe's Path. Is the formation worth it or is it only valid if taken in combination with a freakshow list for LD shenanigans?

Is the Solitaire another unit that the internet either loves or hates? I can't decide if I should regard him as a tax at worst or a really strong CC unit at best. I love the model, the rules and the fluff but everyone who has played this game more than two times will now how unreliable a 3++ is.

How do you guys play the Heroes Path? Infiltrate all of them or keep them in reserve? How do you protect the Shadowseer? Put him in a Venom?

Since I don't have the models for an efficient freakshow list, on which psychic table should I roll for the Shadowseer? Phantasmacy seems solid or maybe just Divination?
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2016, 01:30

If you're not running a freakshow I would suggest the cast of players over the past, but as I also love my solitaire I won't say don't. The trick is to keep him out of los lest he get Las gunned down. It's not hard with his tiny model. Then you use your death jester to force targets into his range. I recommend things like devastators or such. He "can" go toe to toe with a lot of major characters but due to the nature of his weapons he can also fail to kill a basic marine with alarming regularity.

As for the shadowseer, I would suggest phantasmancy to try to use veil to keep him safe. Also don't forget you can run in the shooting phase since he's all psychic powers. Use this to move to the top of a building (flip belt), cast, then run back into the building to deny los.

Kabalite Warrior
Causalis

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2016, 01:48

Quote :
If you're not running a freakshow I would suggest the cast of players over the past

Yes and if I had the models I would do so. But alas, I can't print money and I'll have to make due with what I have for now.

Quote :
He "can" go toe to toe with a lot of major characters but due to the nature of his weapons he can also fail to kill a basic marine with alarming regularity

Well he could have a bit more punch since he is the embodiment of Slaanesh on the battlefield. Still, telling your opponent that he is Ini 10 seems to be pretty sweet. "Ini step 10... My guy has a HoW attack. Nice, my Solitaire will attack at the same time as the HoW attack!" :')
Back to top Go down
Causalis
Kabalite Warrior
Causalis

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09 2016, 14:42

So the Death Masque is around the corner and I plan on buying the Clowns from the box (a guy from my local group has offered to sell them to me).

Now I've seen Skari's tactical videos on the Harlequins and they do give a solid overview. My question is though how you actually play them.

Some units just feel like a tax, not gonna lie. The Troupes whilst potent in close combat are unbelievably fragile and if their transport blows up you'll probably lose half of them - which really hurts since a squad will cost over 100 points. How do you get them where they need to be - alive?

I have also read a lot of praise for the Skyweavers but they too seem so unbelievably fragile! They don't even have Skilled Rider so their jink is only a 4+ and they lack grenades so charging into cover will leave them at Ini 1. Whilst they are potent in melee and even shooting it just seems like I would have to field 3+ squads just to kind of guarantee that some of them are still standing after the first round of shooting. And for those points I could have taken almost 3 Taloi.
So again - how do you keep them alive long enough that they make their points back?

The rest of the LSD Clowns seem fine. Solitaire is a hit or miss, the Death Jester seems good, the Shadowseer offers nice psychic support, the Voidweaver is alright and versatile and the Starweaver is a Venom with S6 weapons a bigger transport capacity.

Back to top Go down
lelith
Sybarite
lelith

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09 2016, 15:36

I'm considering trying the 2-bike unit (the one from the death masque) to get a re-rollable 4+ jink, which is statistically better than getting the skilled rider.

However, more than 100 pts for only T4 W4 are a problem indeed...

Skyweaver may be the worst jetbike among the three eldar units IMO.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09 2016, 15:58

lelith wrote:
I'm considering trying the 2-bike unit (the one from the death masque) to get a re-rollable 4+ jink, which is statistically better than getting the skilled rider.

However, more than 100 pts for only T4 W4 are a problem indeed...

Skyweaver may be the worst jetbike among the three eldar units IMO.

The problem seems to be that GW puts a real premium on models that can both shoot and assault well. You pay through the nose for being capable of both roles.

Causalis
Kabalite Warrior
Causalis

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09 2016, 19:07

I think we pay even more points because the bikes have two wounds each as opposed to pretty much every normal bike unit in the game which only have one wound per model.

Do you run the bikes with the (e)bolas or with spears? Spears seem the go-to weapon but the unit is expensive enough without any further upgrades. Or is it a case of "this thing is so expensive already, might as well put a few points on top"? And yes, if I field them (which I'll do since I always give each unit a shot) I'll be taking the Death Masque bikes for the re-rollable jink. What still REALLY bothers me though, is that they will be Ini 1 when charging through/into cover. Why did GW not give them flip belts or some other special rule when literally every other non-vehicle unit has that belt? 50 points PER MODEL but it is too much to ask for something so essential? >: (
Back to top Go down
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior
Woozl

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09 2016, 21:11

Skyweavers seem like a great unit for a corsair prince or baron to join IMO. Take a shadowfield, pick whether to LOS or tank.
Back to top Go down
lelith
Sybarite
lelith

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10 2016, 14:25

Woozl wrote:
Skyweavers seem like a great unit for a corsair prince or baron to join IMO. Take a shadowfield, pick whether to LOS or tank.

Baron's gone, as well as Vect and the duke. Awful...

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10 2016, 14:29

Woozl meant the corsair unit 'Baron'. It is like a low level prince Smile

Harlequin allies? - Page 2 YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10 2016, 14:51

Corsair Barons aren't independent characters so you can't attach them to skyweavers, you have to attach them to a Corsair unit.
Back to top Go down
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior
Woozl

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10 2016, 16:44

CurstAlchemist wrote:
Corsair Barons aren't independent characters so you can't attach them to skyweavers, you have to attach them to a Corsair unit.

Thanks, yes my mistake. Still not a terrible place to put a bike prince.
Back to top Go down
DEfan
Sybarite
DEfan

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11 2016, 06:12

Would the Death Jester and the Jet Bikes make a good combo? 5 or 6 shrouded wounds to get through and 9 S6 shots.

Kabalite Warrior
Causalis

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11 2016, 10:42

Quote :
Would the Death Jester and the Jet Bikes make a good combo? 5 or 6 shrouded wounds to get through and 9 S6 shots.

Only, if you want to use them as a shooting platform. Because he'll slow them down.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11 2016, 10:48

Not to mention the issues around jink...

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
DEfan
Sybarite
DEfan

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12 2016, 08:35

Yeah, the mixed unit thing is a headache.
Bikes can't run but instead they turbo boost. So does that mean that a Death Jester and Bikes CAN move in the shooting phase by electing to run + turbo boost, but obviously only being able to move as fast as the slowest model?
Jink would be interesting. This pair of Skyweavers can re-roll jink saves. Re-rerolling 2+ jink saves are hard to crack. Pop scout on this via Eldrad's warlord trait and these guys could outflank on T2.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12 2016, 09:57

DEfan wrote:
Yeah, the mixed unit thing is a headache.
Bikes can't run but instead they turbo boost. So does that mean that a Death Jester and Bikes CAN move in the shooting phase by electing to run + turbo boost, but obviously only being able to move as fast as the slowest model

Models in mixed units can move according to their own movement rules but just need to maintain unit coherency. So you could run the DJ and turboboost the bikes as long as you stayed within 2" of another model in the unit.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin allies?   Harlequin allies? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harlequin allies?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2