THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lament.config
Sybarite
lament.config

Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight Empty
PostSubject: Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight   Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18 2016, 09:35

I've been running a grotesquerie for months now in an ongoing campaign at my local shop. The restriction of the campaign has been no allies and no lords of war unless agreed upon (new shop and trying to pick up new players). All has gone well, and I am enjoying the matches with a necron player and a space wolf player as my top competitors.  Now, to the question. Just how effective is a grotesquerie of four with a farseer? In about two weeks, we will have a no holds barred 1850 tournament. I have not been able to get practice games in with lists I've been building so I'd like some advice.

Using the minis I've got I put together a list that hinged upon a grotesquerie with a farseer in each unit and a wraithknight kited for CC. This seems solid to me but, after running months of running lists of pure DE I feel like I'm cutting to much for potential point sinks. Without Reavers my forward momentum diminishes, without a ravager or scourages my AT suffers. Without a razorwing I lack versatility.

Troop selection seems solid. Two venoms with warriors and two units of scatter laser jetbikes.

What else do you bring to support this list? Also, I do not own a hemlock wraithfighter or multiple ravagers.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight   Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18 2016, 09:47

To be entirely honest, lamenting the loss of Reavers, Ravagers, Scourges and Razorwings whilst bringing in Eldar allies to replace them seems a little strange as Eldar have better options for each and every one of those (Scatterbikes, Hornets, Swooping Hawks and Crimson Hunters). But then again, Eldar have better options for pretty much every DE unit!

A Farseer in each Grot unit is nice as it gives LD10, enhanced psychic defences and the potential for some nice buffs or offensive powers. You can also start playing Freakshow tactics by lobbing Psychic Shrieks around and taking advantage of the -1Ld for each Grot unit within 12". A cc combat Wraithknight is okay but I prefer the dual Wraithcannon version. You get 2 ranged D weapons and you're still S10, AP2 in cc.

Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight   Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18 2016, 09:47

I would add a Crimson Hunter. It's better than the Razorwing against vehicles, both flying and on the ground. Not so much against infantry, but you have other units for that anyway.
Back to top Go down
lament.config
Sybarite
lament.config

PostSubject: Re: Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight   Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18 2016, 10:01

Count Adhemar wrote:
To be entirely honest, lamenting the loss of Reavers, Ravagers, Scourges and Razorwings whilst bringing in Eldar allies to replace them seems a little strange as Eldar have better options for each and every one of those (Scatterbikes, Hornets, Swooping Hawks and Crimson Hunters). But then again, Eldar have better options for pretty much every DE unit!

A Farseer in each Grot unit is nice as it gives LD10, enhanced psychic defences and the potential for some nice buffs or offensive powers. You can also start playing Freakshow tactics by lobbing Psychic Shrieks around and taking advantage of the -1Ld for each Grot unit within 12". A cc combat Wraithknight is okay but I prefer the dual Wraithcannon version. You get 2 ranged D weapons and you're still S10, AP2 in cc.

I'm trying not go to heavy craftworld focused as I consider myself a DE main before an overall Eldar main.

A shooty wraithknight would probably answer many of AT needs while still being quite punchy in CC. I went with a CC knight though because without multiple units pushing forward I feel like my grots get left without support and a wraithknight is sure to pull aggro from most opposing forces. Usually, two units of six reavers serve as my vanguard, untangle the grotesquerie or move to push flanks.

Not being able to buff units while embarked is also giving me cause to consider not bringing the farseers.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight   Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18 2016, 10:11

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to buff whilst embarked. I'd guess you're probably only going to be embarked for the first turn normally and you can move and disembark on turn 2 before casting buffs. And you can still use witchfires from a Raider, so Psychic Shriek is still perfectly usable (and you can jink without having to snapfire it).

I'd also still bring the shooty Wraithknight. Trust me, it will attract even more firepower than the cc version and can still do pretty much the same damage in cc as the cc version does unless you're up against Imperial Knights etc.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight   Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grotesquerie plus farseers and wraithknight
Page 1 of 1