THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Wraithknight

Go down 
+13
Vasara
Klaivex Charondyr
Bugs_N_Orks
The Shredder
CptMetal
Lord_Alino
colinsherlow
Squidmaster
lessthanjeff
Count Adhemar
Haagrum
amorrowlyday
Drizzt23
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Drizzt23
Slave
Drizzt23

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 05:01

I am sure that this subject has came up but i need To ask. If i have Harlequin and Dark Eldar as am allied army, how do i deal with a close combat Wraithknight? Let's say i have all the units that exist for my 2 Armies. Like no limits but realisticaly how would you deal with it?

Drizzt23
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 05:20

There's really only 1 way I know of to do it cost efficiently and that's the Freakshow. The Freakshow is Jimsolo's Leadership manipulation approach to killing off units that is highly recommendable reading.

Anyway

A shadowseer that gets Mirror of Minds can kill a wraithknight in 1 psychic phase if the conditions are set up correctly.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 05:24

But aren't close combat harlequins suited to kill that thing in close combat too?
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 05:37

Like I said: That I Know how. Perhaps? I haven't experienced that.
Back to top Go down
Haagrum
Slave

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 10:28

CptMetal wrote:
But aren't close combat harlequins suited to kill that thing in close combat too?

Not unless you're spamming Neuro Disruptors (Fleshbane AP2 pistols), Fusion Pistols (S8 AP2) and Harlequin's Caresses (rolls of 6 to hit automatically wound at AP2).

I can't remember the Wraithknight's Toughness off the top of my head, but if it's above 6, then Harlequin's Kisses will barely make an impact.

In my view, you'd probably be better off dropping in a Shadowseer and Archon with a Webway Portal (possibly as part of a Cast of Players formation for some ablative wounds), combining the Mask of Secrets and the Armour of Misery to inflict a -4 Ld debuff, and hitting it with Mirror of Minds, Psychic Shriek and/or the Archangel of Pain (which requires another Dark Eldar HQ choice).
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 10:47

Freakshow is probably best bet. There's a link in the Guides section.
Back to top Go down
lessthanjeff
Sybarite
lessthanjeff

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 11:13

The wraithknight is fearless so you can't use the archangel of pain or soulfright weapons. It's got to be the mirror of minds and psychic shriek. I would think harlequin's carresses also do a decent job though.

I'd be tempted to see if a solitaire could tie him up for a while since he's only hit on 5's and gets a 3+ invul unless the knight rolls a 6. Eternal warrior protects from the stomps wiping him away too (barring the 6 again).
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 12:00

Its Toughness 8 apparently.
I played against one very recently, and spent several turns pounded it with many Venoms, their passengers and some Reavers, and only JUST managed to take it down in the final turn after almost everything else was dead. I played that game very badly.
The concept of spamming Neuro Disruptors seems like a good one to my head actually.
Other than that I can only suggest Corpsetheif Claw, and make sure YOU get the charge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 13:49

Shooting GMCs with poison is never a good idea. You need lances. Lots of lances!
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 14:11

colinsherlow wrote:
Shooting GMCs with poison is never a good idea. You need lances. Lots of lances!

Actually, lances struggle due to T8, the ability to put a toe into cover and FNP. Assuming 5++ either from cover or the shield it takes 6.75 lances to put a single wound on a Wraithknight. That goes up to 9 if it's in 4+ cover! So all three of our heavy support slots spent on DL Ravagers (375 points minimum) to put a single wound on a 295 point Wraithknight in a ruin. Nice balance there GW!

Surprisingly, Venoms actually come out better! It takes 3.37 Venoms (219 points) to do that single wound to a Wraithknight and it doesn't really matter if it's in cover or not cos it will be using it's armour save anyway.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 16:22

Why is poison against these guys bad?
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 16:24

Always 6+ against gmc's, and they get all their saves
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 16:28

Oh I didn't know that. I suggest lances. 6 squads of scourges, 4 lances each. 3 ravagers, 3 lances each.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 16:39

Lord_Alino wrote:
Oh I didn't know that. I suggest lances. 6 squads of scourges, 4 lances each. 3 ravagers, 3 lances each.

See my numbers from earlier in the thread. Unless the Wriathknight is silly enough to have no form of cover or invulnerable save, you're better off with Venoms.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 18:01

That's why said lots of lances. They are still way better than trying to wound with poison.

Dark Eldar just aren't ment to fight the big stuff like GMCs. You can spend all game trying to kill a single wraithknight. Good chance it'll have shrouded lr be invisible. Dark Eldar like weaker prey like rhinos transports and marines.

Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 18:51

Best option is still the freak show. It's a good tactic against Eldar in general.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 18:54

I'll also put a vote in for the Freakshow.

colinsherlow wrote:
That's why said lots of lances.

The trouble is, it takes 9 Ravagers worth of Dark Lances (1125pts) to take down a WK. And that's assuming it has no cover or invulnerable save.

colinsherlow wrote:
Dark Eldar like weaker prey like rhinos transports

Indeed - it takes a mere 250pts of Ravagers to kill a 35pt Rhino with no cover. I bet those space marines are widdling their boots even as we speak. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 19:50

Haha shredder!

My best Wraithknight kill was my last game.
I took some freakshow Grotesquery action and I got +1 toughness for a T6. Grots got a charge on the knight and squished him after 2-3rounds. Woot woot!
Back to top Go down
Bugs_N_Orks
Kabalite Warrior

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 19:59

Every time I've played a wraithknight I've just ignored it (but not let my opponent know that I'm ignoring it, and will continue to ignore it the entire game lol).  I see the 2-wraithcannon/2-Scatterlaser kind mostly, and it's definitely painful to eat that kind of firepower every turn, but the 40-50 lance shots (or 200+ poison shots) it takes to kill one are almost always better spent shooting at other stuff.  If you're dealing with a CC Wraithknight I'd just avoid it at all costs, it's got 2 guns max, and if it wants to charge something it has to shoot one of those guns at it. With a little practice it's easy to know when to disembark or Flat-Out away to avoid letting him blow up a transport then charge the passengers, so you can limit the wraithknight to only hurting 2 things per turn.

But if you're determined to kill it multiple shrieks (with a -3 to -5 Ld debuff) is probably the most likely way to do it. BS4 on the Shadowseer is kind of lame though.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 20:26

colinsherlow wrote:
I took some freakshow Grotesquery action and I got +1 toughness for a T6.  Grots got a charge on the knight and squished him after 2-3rounds.  Woot woot!

Nice.

Despite using the Grotesquerie many, many times, I've yet to roll +1S, +1T or Shred even once. Sad
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 22:25

colinsherlow wrote:
Haha shredder!

I took some freakshow Grotesquery action and I got +1 toughness for a T6.  Grots got a charge on the knight and squished him after 2-3rounds.  Woot woot!

Lucky you that he didnt roll a single 6 on his stomps.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 08 2015, 23:54

Lucky indeed!
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09 2015, 08:28

Ignore it mainly.

CTC with Ichors might do the trick (650pts Shocked ) if you get them to cc.

Massive Reaver charge like @Mushkilla's Black Buzzards perhaps?

Several Shrieks as mentioned from Harlies.
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09 2015, 10:17

Your opponent wants you to waste all your firepower shooting at his wraithknight while the rest of his army runs around, kicking your ass and scoring the OBJs unmolested.

Don't fall into this trap.

Ignore it, run from it, bait it, block it. Shoot your guns at targets they can actually kill.

Above all PLAY THE MISSION!!! Every turn, identify what you need to do to win and do it. Don't get distracted by big shiny things!
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10 2015, 06:35

Painjunky wrote:
Your opponent wants you to waste all your firepower shooting at his wraithknight while the rest of his army runs around, kicking your ass and scoring the OBJs unmolested.

Don't fall into this trap.

Ignore it, run from it, bait it, block it. Shoot your guns at targets they can actually kill.

Above all PLAY THE MISSION!!! Every turn, identify what you need to do to win and do it. Don't get distracted by big shiny things!

Great response!!

I like the idea of baiting it or throwing the odd road block whilst the rest of our army boosts away too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wraithknight  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wraithknight    Wraithknight  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wraithknight
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next