THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

wish GW would do a start collecting box for us

Go down 
+9
Count Adhemar
fisheyes
Rokuro
hydranixx
Black Death
Marrath
CptMetal
Imateria
daveyo
13 posters
AuthorMessage
daveyo
Hellion
daveyo

wish GW would do a start collecting box for us Empty
PostSubject: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03 2016, 12:20

These newish start collecting boxes are quite good. Wish we had one.
I vote it would have :

A raider. 10 Wyches. 3 Reavers. 5 Hellions

What would you like to see?

Ps. Obviously a few bonuses to make the above viable!
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Wych
Imateria

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03 2016, 13:17

One of these 3 set ups would be the most likely I think.

An Archon, Raider, 10 Kabalites and 5 Scourge.

An Haemonculus, 5 Wracks, a Venom, a Talos/Cronos.

A Succubus, 10 Wyches, Raider, 3 Reavers.

Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03 2016, 15:16

I'm all for the witch set because it could make it viable!

Warriors are great and Haemonculus already have a supplement.

Something like giving them rending in the first round of combat or so...
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03 2016, 15:26

A Succubus, 10 Wyches, a Raider, 5 Hellions.
Plus some nice buffs for said units, or a new codex while you're at it.

Edit: Or how about this: 10 Wyches, a Raider, 10 Hellions. and Baron Sathonyx. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03 2016, 23:19

BARON! YES! I had just finished my conversion of him when 4he new dex came out.
wish GW would do a start collecting box for us 20151227_212959_zpscmmwwsb0
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Wych
hydranixx

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03 2016, 23:37

One issue is that if we do get a Raider, there's not enough capacity in it for both the Wyches and Succubus, or Archon and Kabalites.

It'd be really nice if the formation gave the Raider 1 extra transport capacity for the Archon/Succubus it inevitably comes with.

Imateria wrote:
An Archon, Raider, 10 Kabalites and 5 Scourge.

Yeah I can see this working.

Extra rules could be to let the Raider move 12" and all the Kabalites on board shoot at full BS. If the Scourges are within 6" of the Raider they get reroll all 1's to hit with their shooting attacks, and can choose to use the Skyfire special rule when shooting.
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04 2016, 13:31

I would go for 1 Haemonculus, 15 Wracks, 1 Raider, 1 Venom and 1 Talos/Cronos.
Slightly above the other "Start Collecting" sets in terms of content, but it would indeed be a solid starting point for a Coven army.

First of all; let's face it, Haemonculus Covens are a more advanced army than vanilla Dark Eldar in terms of rules. That's a bonus point for popularity, so releasing a box for them would make the most sense from GW's point of few.
Another advantage of this box would be is that it contains enough models for an already existing formation: The Scarlet Epicureans. Plus two transports, which Dark Eldar player can really never have enough off. And if someone was to buy two boxes, they would have the models for a Dark Artisan, a Scalpel Squadron, and almost enough for a Covenite Fleshcorps (just need one more Raider).

A less obvious advantage that comes from 15 Wracks is that this number compensates for a design flaw their regular box suffers from: Only one of five can be built as a Raider or Venom Crewman. So to convert a Raider and a Venom, you need three Wrack spures.
With this box, one could convert the two vehicles and still have 12 Wracks; 5 for the Venom and 7 + Haemonculus for the Raider.
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Wych
hydranixx

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04 2016, 13:58

That's halfway to a mega force lol.. You'd be lucky if it's 10 Wracks, a Raider and Haemy.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04 2016, 14:09

All of these starter sets are $100. Generally they use about $110 of units, plus a "free" HQ. So Im guessing it would be like their Stormshard Wych Cult set they recently removed from the site:

Succubus
Wyches
Raider
Reavers

This comes to $127 (CDN), plus the succubus ($28 CDN).

Why would they put warriors in a box set if they are already selling OK?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04 2016, 14:11

Looking at the other 'Start Collecting' boxes, they generally follow the pattern of Troop Unit+Character+'Big Thing', whether that be a Monstrous Creature, box of large-base models, tank, Dreadnought or whatever.

My guess would be 10 Kabalite Warriors + Archon + Ravager or Talos (they might make it a Voidraven instead though, as I doubt those things are shifting much!)
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04 2016, 14:26

That would be the Kabal variant. The witch one would be far more interesting!
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04 2016, 14:35

CptMetal wrote:
That would be the Kabal variant. The witch one would be far more interesting!

10 Wyches + Succubus + ermm.....more Wyches?
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04 2016, 15:25

What about Reaver or a Raider or beasts that can become part of the unit?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04 2016, 15:29

Yeah, my guess would be Reavers. I still wouldn't buy that box though. Bloody expensive way of getting 3 Reavers.
Back to top Go down
spect_spidey
Slave
spect_spidey

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04 2016, 22:22

A Succubus, 10 Wyches, and 2 Venoms?
An Archon, 10 Warriors, and 2 Venoms?
A Haemonculus, 10 Warriors, and a Talos?
An Archon, 10 Warriors, and 6 Reavers?

There are several combinations they could do. But they should do something considering 1/2 of the units available for Dark Eldar are webstore exclusives.
Back to top Go down
PriorofDeath
Hellion
PriorofDeath

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05 2016, 00:18

I know it's a reach but I'm praying that our delay in a box is til 3/4th quarter for a new codex and a couple more naped character sculps. With the recent community attitude change GW has taken I doubt they don't realize what they did to us.

As it stands I see something similar tongue wytch cult shardstorm box
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Wych
hydranixx

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05 2016, 03:26

Count Adhemar wrote:
Yeah, my guess would be Reavers. I still wouldn't buy that box though. Bloody expensive way of getting 3 Reavers.

I couldn't agree more Laughing

spect_spidey wrote:

There are several combinations they could do. But they should do something considering 1/2 of the units available for Dark Eldar are webstore exclusives.

This is definitely one of the issues yeah. A lot of our more unique stuff is finecast sadly - Incubi, Court, Wracks. Makes it tough on newer players.
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05 2016, 07:01

GW has stopped making Finecast models in 2014, if I recall correctly (the last resin model was Smaug, and it wasn't even Finecast), and a lot of it has disappeared from the webstore over the last couple of months.
I think it is to be expected that our current Finecast units will be replaced with plastic versions with the next wave. Which would also be the point when GW seriously wants people to start collecting Dark Eldar.

Last edited by Rokuro on Fri Apr 08 2016, 20:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Wych
Imateria

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06 2016, 13:13

hydranixx wrote:
Count Adhemar wrote:

I couldn't agree more Laughing

spect_spidey wrote:

This is definitely one of the issues yeah. A lot of our more unique stuff is finecast sadly - Incubi, Court, Wracks. Makes it tough on newer players.
Wracks are plastic, I think you meant Grotesques.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06 2016, 14:47

I have to say, I find it ulinkely Wyches would feature. The Shardstorm box didn't sell well, primarily because Wyches are just bad. There is no current reason top include them in your army unless there is a rules update for them.

The general theme for Start Collecting boxes seems to be Generic Unit, Leader, Special Guys, and a Stompy Thing/Vehicle.

I think any Start Collecting box for Dark Eldar is likely to be:

> 10 Warriors
> Archon
> 3 Reavers
> Raider
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06 2016, 18:52

How do you know that the shard storm box didn't sell well? Do you got special insight?
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Wych
hydranixx

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06 2016, 22:36

It's not exactly far fetched to surmise that the Shardstorm box hasn't sold well since Wyches are fairly trash. Stuff that's mediocre at best tends to struggle to sell. There's still 8 Voidraven boxes hanging out in my local store, and I think they ordered 10 when they were released. No one wants to touch them.

I can't remember the name of the 10 Kabalites + Raider box set, but I do remember it selling with reasonable alacrity compared to the Shardstorm.

If the rules of the formation actually made Wyches worth it, then it might conceivably be a successful way to sell Wyches. And it might also make Shardstorms more attractive too.
Back to top Go down
Korazell
Sybarite
Korazell

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06 2016, 23:39

Even as a die hard wych fan, there is nothing in that pack that would make me interested in it for that price based on the current rules.

We need a new codex that has everything in our book to be worth taking before we'll see alot of product flow besides Kabalites and venoms and ravagers, sadly.

Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08 2016, 14:51

Keep in mind that they want to sell these things at $100 a pop (in CDN$ anyway). Why on earth would GW put $160 into a set and loose all that money?

I think the general assumption of "HQ, Troop, Something Else" is correct. Anything more would be asking too much.

For my $0.02 that "Something Else" has to be reavers. What else do we have that sells for that much, has such little actual material, and wouldent take up too much room in the box? Talos are WAY to awesome a kit for them to include.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wish GW would do a start collecting box for us   wish GW would do a start collecting box for us I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wish GW would do a start collecting box for us
Page 1 of 1