THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Drazhar as HQ bad or not?

Go down 
+7
Imateria
Kantalla
CptMetal
Causalis
Count Adhemar
The goat
Grumpy eldar
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Grumpy eldar
Hellion
Grumpy eldar

Drazhar as HQ bad or not? Empty
PostSubject: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2016, 09:48

Hi to all devious minds. I am building my force up slowly and was looking through HQ choices, also spent time listening to splintermind (love it). What's people's opinion on drazhar, all views taken. I know he's expensive, but is a very powerful character too and has staying power. Was thinking him with incubi In a venom,deep strike and get them to cause mayhem. What are everyone's opinion and what do you use and why for HQ?
Back to top Go down
The goat
Hellion
The goat

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2016, 09:56

I haven't got any Incubi or Drazhar but it is worth noting that you can't charge the turn you deep strike (right?). Might be better, depending on your table, to instead rush up the table with it so you don't worry about scatter.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2016, 09:56

Apart from his cost I think he's good. But seriously, 190 points?! He's not worth anywhere near that. Just take 4-5 more Incubi for half the points and twice the killing power.

Grumpy eldar
Hellion
Grumpy eldar

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2016, 10:16

Fully understand, but what I was considering is that HQ can be a problem for us, and so this way problem, solved in a nice cc way too. What do you run as HQ?
Back to top Go down
Causalis
Kabalite Warrior
Causalis

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2016, 10:26

How is HQ "a problem" for us? We can take a 10 points Lhamean to fill the HQ slot - that's pretty neat. And even though people like to complain about the Archon or Haemy, I think they are also solid HQ choices, as is the Succubus.

Speaking of which - why should we pay 190 points if we can just take a Succubus with Glaive? She is also a CC beatstick but cheaper than Drazhar whilst also bringing an AP2 weapon to the table.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2016, 10:46

Grumpy eldar wrote:
Fully understand, but what I was considering is that HQ can be a problem for us, and so this way problem, solved in a nice cc way too. What do you run as HQ?

I generally run a barebones Archon with WWP, a Succubus with Archite Glaive and Armour of Misery or a Lhamaean.

CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2016, 11:14

If I'd wanted an expensive ass kicking close combat HQ I'd take a fully geared archon. His only problem is Armour 2+ but apart from that he's fine.
But I only use that in high point games where the campaign requires the presence of my Kabal archon. In most cases, his subordinates get to do the dirty work.

Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2016, 12:13

Drazhar is fine, just badly over-priced. He doesn't really have a place in an optimized list at 190 points in my view.

That said, I have had a thought about making an Incubus Shrine army one day. That would have Drazhar plus three big units of Incubi at a bare minimum.

Back to top Go down
Grumpy eldar
Hellion
Grumpy eldar

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23 2016, 15:20

Thanks guys all brilliant ideas
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Wych
Imateria

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2016, 01:44

Like all Phoenix Lords he's over priced but he's not bad. T4 and Eternal Warrior makes him a lot more survivable than a kitted out Succubus with the lack of an invuln being his big weakness (again, same for most Phoenix Lords) whilst S5, AP2 with Rampage at WS and I7 makes him quite killy. Run him with a squad of Incubi in a Venom and he'll do damage, outside of highly competitive games it'll work out nicely.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2016, 07:59

One of the problems with him is that he can ONLY join other Incubi. So that requires you to take 20 pt meat-shields, rather than 10 pt wyches (or w/e).

Yes you can put him with 4 other Incubi in a venom, but that unit will cost 305 pts barebones. For 350 you can take a DA with the 4+ FNP, rerolling 1's bubble that DS in with the WWP. You can guess which one I use.
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Wych
Imateria

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24 2016, 12:38

fisheyes wrote:
One of the problems with him is that he can ONLY join other Incubi. So that requires you to take 20 pt meat-shields, rather than 10 pt wyches (or w/e).

Yes you can put him with 4 other Incubi in a venom, but that unit will cost 305 pts barebones. For 350 you can take a DA with the 4+ FNP, rerolling 1's bubble that DS in with the WWP. You can guess which one I use.
Why would anybody want to take Wyches though, they're useless whereas Incubi can actually do damage and against infantry probably more than the Dark Artisan can.
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31 2016, 22:56

Because a 4++ save on every model can tarpit for quite a while if you're clever.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
Causalis
Kabalite Warrior
Causalis

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2016, 08:48

Quote :
Because a 4++ save on every model can tarpit for quite a while if you're clever.

Only against units that have either a small amount of attacks (Termis) or that aren't meant for CC. Any other dedicated CC unit will wipe the floor with the Wyches.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01 2016, 09:51

You need to take into account the fact that T3 means you're going to be taking more saves, so that 4++ won't last long. It's also worth remembering that FNP is much less valuable on a T3 model as S6+ is so common these days.

SaturdayNightWrist
Hellion
SaturdayNightWrist

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04 2016, 08:24

I've had success with drahzar but depends on who you're playing so he is kind of situational.
Archon w/ blaster and clone field in venom is my go to.
Back to top Go down
tegs
Kabalite Warrior
tegs

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04 2016, 16:41

In the whopping one game I've played with Drazhar, he earned his points back challenging other HQs. The 2+ save was fantastic.

Then he and his Incubi died to massed bolter fire and SM assault. I think he scared the other player, so they threw the book at him. Which was still pretty useful, as it bought me a turn of picking away at the rest of their army unhindered.

PostSubject: Re: Drazhar as HQ bad or not?   Drazhar as HQ bad or not? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drazhar as HQ bad or not?
Page 1 of 1