THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

I Miss Andy Chambers

Go down 
+3
TeenageAngst
fisheyes
John M
7 posters
AuthorMessage
John M
Kabalite Warrior
John M

I Miss Andy Chambers  Empty
PostSubject: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24 2016, 03:44

I recently re-read Andy Chambers trilogy focusing on the Dark Eldar; and they were so refreshing. It must be about time for the Dark Eldar to be back in the Black Library's spotlight
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24 2016, 13:44

Yes, it was refreshing to have a GW novel where the main character wasn't space jesus. Personally, I love the IG novels more. Mainly the ones where half the characters die in the first 100 pages (looking longingly at you, Fire Caste)
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25 2016, 05:13

Yeah Andy knew how to write Dark Eldar, which is hard to do without either slipping into space elf torture erotica or an Ayn Rand novel.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25 2016, 07:32

I didn't mind the first Dark Eldar book, but I found the second very disjointed. It didn't encourage me to pick up the third, is it better?

Kabalite Warrior
John M

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25 2016, 11:52

I recommend the third one wholeheartedly
Back to top Go down
Vindicavi
Kabalite Warrior
Vindicavi

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25 2016, 12:54

Yeah, its a shame we don't really get much attention from the Black Library. I actually preferred the first two books to the third.
Back to top Go down
John M
Kabalite Warrior
John M

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2016, 04:39

We are always the antagonists, which I am usually fine with; but it means that the DE in the novels are usually pretty thin. It is rare we get a book that focuses almost exclusively on DE characters and DE society
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27 2016, 02:55

That kind of bugs me in a way because it makes Dark Eldar almost impossible to relate to in stories. Motley was necessary to bridge the gap and even then he only kinda fulfilled that role as he knew everything was going on.

Back to top Go down
John M
Kabalite Warrior
John M

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27 2016, 05:38

I suppose that is a fair criticism, but you could level it at lots of 40k novels; as often they deal with forces individuals which are very remote to us as normal people
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28 2016, 06:23

Yeah but that's like Mr. Plinkett's criticism of the Star Wars prequels: "Everyone comes off as some kind of weird space alien. And I guess that's cause they are all weird space aliens. But it makes it impossible to connect to their universe. We need some humanity."

Back to top Go down
Lord Nakariial
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Nakariial

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22 2017, 04:07

I enjoyed all the path books, but they felt very shallow within the actual story not really going to the depth of plot I would've liked.

A Dark Eldar A.D.B book would be awesome. I think he showed the right amount of grittyness in the Grey Knight novels to appropriately portray Drukhari society.

With the timeline moving forward to there's a lot of different ways it could be covered.

Kabalite Warrior
Vindicavi

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 01 2017, 22:56

Lord Nakariial wrote:
A Dark Eldar A.D.B book would be awesome. I think he showed the right amount of grittyness in the Grey Knight novels to appropriately portray Drukhari society.

As much as I like ADB's Daemon/marine writing I don't think letting him write for our faction is a good idea. I don't think he has the right mindset or style to write our faction in a way to do it justice. He injects too much of his personal bias into his material, which ruins his work when it comes to writing certain characters.
Back to top Go down
lmrz
Hellion
lmrz

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 02 2017, 22:55

I was disappointed with the series. It felt like an 8 year old wrote it.
Back to top Go down
Vindicavi
Kabalite Warrior
Vindicavi

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 02 2017, 23:11

lmrz wrote:
I was disappointed with the series. It felt like an 8 year old wrote it.

The last book is an utter disappointment I'll grant you, but I certainly enjoyed the first two. Lets face it BL aren't exactly renowned for top tier writers outside of a few, we should be grateful it was written by someone who actually seems to have read up on the faction.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Miss Andy Chambers    I Miss Andy Chambers  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Miss Andy Chambers
Page 1 of 1