THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tegs
Kabalite Warrior
tegs

Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice? Empty
PostSubject: Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice?   Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28 2016, 18:36

I have two Wraithlords that are missing parts.  One is an old pewter mini minus a head, while the other was Orkified and is missing both arms, a leg, and the head.

I'm going to try to scratch build heads for both, and to make new arms and legs using sprues with green stuff over them.  This will likely be an xmas gift for an old friend who plays Eldar, so the labour of love aspect will make it much more meaningful.  I might make up a Ghostspear as well so he can use one of them as a Wraithseer; the old pewter mini only has a single shoulder mount anyway so it makes sense.

Any advice before I get started?

For the arms and leg, I'll be both pinning and gluing the sprue connections to make sure they're rock solid.
Back to top Go down
Korona
Kabalite Warrior
Korona

PostSubject: Re: Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice?   Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28 2016, 19:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZLXLaidjQ

This is an excellent tutorial on how to make very cheap duplicates of parts for minis. You may have other ideas in mind but if you have or have access to a wraithlord model you can use this process to copy the head (and whatever other parts you need) without damaging the original.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice?   Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28 2016, 19:16

Best of luck bud. I just turned my old pewter model into a Chronos and called it a day. Those leg/hip connections still give me nightmares Wink
Back to top Go down
tegs
Kabalite Warrior
tegs

PostSubject: Re: Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice?   Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29 2016, 01:39

Korona wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZLXLaidjQ

This is an excellent tutorial on how to make very cheap duplicates of parts for minis.  You may have other ideas in mind but if you have or have access to a wraithlord model you can use this process to copy the head (and whatever other parts you need) without damaging the original.

That is fantastic. I may very well play with that at some point.

I'm working blind for most of this, though. I suspect a Wraithlord is a good place to start since everything is curved and flowing, so I don't have to worry about getting lines exactly right.

Once I have it finished, I'll post photos.
Back to top Go down
tegs
Kabalite Warrior
tegs

PostSubject: Re: Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice?   Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08 2016, 18:31

I got the first Wraithlord done.  Not awful for a first attempt, especially with incredibly crappy old modelling putty.

After sanding the head and leg down, there were still a lot of grooves and fissures, so I coated it in ultra fine crazy glue to make the surfaces smooth.

Buddy is overjoyed, and actually thought it was an original head that had been paint stripped in something overly nasty, so that was nice.

I haven't told him about the Wraithseer yet, which I'm working on now.

edit: One of the things I learned from this is to not handle the putty until it has a few minutes to dry on the outside. Trying to handle it right out of the tube gets your hands covered in toxic nastiness. If you wait a few, the outside becomes dry to the touch and you can much more easily shape it.

Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice? 20161211
Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice? 20161210
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice?   Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building missing Wraithlord parts with green stuff - any advice?
Page 1 of 1