THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Gnarly Ynnari Harlies

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PsychicHobo
Hellion
PsychicHobo

Gnarly Ynnari Harlies Empty
PostSubject: Gnarly Ynnari Harlies   Gnarly Ynnari Harlies I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03 2017, 23:42

Mornin' all,

So the new FAQ has scuppered my dreams of Harlequins blazing out gloriously 'pon a Raider's blood-slick prow, so instead I'm looking at Starweavers, the OG clown cars.

I'm considering running a double Reborn Warhost with 6 units of Caltrop Reavers, to screen 4 Harlequin squads embarked on Starweavers. I'm hoping to snaffle a couple cheap on ebay, and also the Reborn Warhost means I can now rip the back gun off my Voidweaver and actually make it useful for once.

A few things I was wondering:

1. Would I be best running 5 man squads and chucking Independent characters in each (Yvraine, the Visarch, Lelith and a Wych Lord), or just 6 man squads (which is the Starweaver's limit) and having my Triumvirate sat protected in Raiders, surrounded by Wyches, Incubi or perhaps a Court? Perhaps a mixture?

2. How would I best take advantage of Strength from Death here? From what I can tell it seems to very much benefit shooty footsloggers, and as I'm more transport-focused melee would I be best off just reverting to Realspace Raiders + Masque detachments and taking a Triumvirate as a Formation? It would give me Rising Crescendo back and gets me a little durability on the Reavers.

3. Also, Independent Character Battle Brothers... can Yvraine and Visarch actually start with a BB unit that starts in a Dedicated Transport?

Any input is greatly appreciated! If people would prefer an example list I can hammer something out easily enough.

P.S. I didn't bring up Craftworlders as I don't want to have to buy more new models or a Codex. That, and I detest their snobby, pristine ways *descends into bitter childish rage*

EDIT: Gah, didn't realise this should be in the Mercenaries section! Very sorry Mods... not sure how to delete, please remove if needs be!
Back to top Go down
Vlad
Kabalite Warrior
Vlad

PostSubject: Re: Gnarly Ynnari Harlies   Gnarly Ynnari Harlies I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05 2017, 12:28

@PsychicHobo it looks like you have already got an idea of a list in your mind. One thing that has been pointed out in another thread is that vehicles being wrecked cause the unit inside to Soulburst (should they want to). So I will be trying the following: turbo boosting everything up into the opponents face, hoping he wrecks a star weaver, then using the Soulburst triggered by that to charge the harlies unit inside whatever the nearest squishy thing is (*cackles manically*).

With regards to characters I'll be running 5 man squads with characters (points permitting).
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Gnarly Ynnari Harlies   Gnarly Ynnari Harlies I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05 2017, 13:37

Watch out for seat belt deaths.
Back to top Go down
PsychicHobo
Hellion
PsychicHobo

PostSubject: Re: Gnarly Ynnari Harlies   Gnarly Ynnari Harlies I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05 2017, 14:45

Vlad wrote:
@PsychicHobo it looks like you have already got an idea of a list in your mind. One thing that has been pointed out in another thread is that vehicles being wrecked cause the unit inside to Soulburst (should they want to). So I will be trying the following: turbo boosting everything up into the opponents face, hoping he wrecks a star weaver, then using the Soulburst triggered by that to charge the harlies unit inside whatever the nearest squishy thing is (*cackles manically*).

With regards to characters I'll be running 5 man squads with characters (points permitting).

Ah, I forgot about that! I just have to hope it suffers a wreck and not an outright explosion though, which is often likelier in my painful experience. Still, a good reaver screen ought to mitigate it enough to the point where it's OK - assuming the muppets don't get pinned.

So it seems I'll have to play around and see how that works out then. I'll miss the improved first turn cover saves for the Deldar part of my army mind, as well as Rising Crescendo, but I should be able to work through that, and this way I don't have to take a Voidweaver...

Trouble is, I don't think this is a strategy that will work more than once. Once he knows what's going on my opponent may commit to overkill the Starweaver to trigger an explosion instead, and the squad that comes tumbling out will be much smaller and likelier to fall apart from such a blast too.

I have considered the Shadowseer Veil route too, but I'm always wary of trying stuff in the psychic phase as my opponents include a very psyker heavy 1K Son list and a psyker heavy Tzeentch Daemon list, and having one obvious power that needs to be stopped against those armies will be... tough.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Gnarly Ynnari Harlies   Gnarly Ynnari Harlies I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05 2017, 14:55

If you're using Harlies, you'll probably have multiple squads with Veil, though, so he won't be able to stop them all.
Back to top Go down
PsychicHobo
Hellion
PsychicHobo

PostSubject: Re: Gnarly Ynnari Harlies   Gnarly Ynnari Harlies I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05 2017, 15:21

So I misunderstood the way Realspace Raiders works, so looks like I might have to do some more list tinkering, as right now the only benefit to that detachment for me is the 6 FA slots, gah.

I actually built up the list on the principle that Battle Brothers could share transports, and then that went down the pan, and then my hopes were raised again by the Ynnari list, and that too has gone down the pan. So all in all it's a bit irritating, but it means I hadn't initially invested in any Shadowseers. I am definitely considering it now though...

A Masque detachment limits me to three troupes, but they can be fairly chunky. It does give me Rising Crescendo, but at the cost of no non-Harley character support (cos they'd slow the squad down)... plus in Starweavers they become tiny squads too.

However, one benefit of Soulburst I am considering is allowing me to recover from a failed charge - if I position a squad of Reavers appropriately I can throw them in as a support to a failed charge, and upon their imminent death I can use the burst to hopefully trigger anther charge attempt. Since they're already small squads they're quite likely to be crippled anyway and easily killed.

This would mean going double Reborn Warhost for the Reavers, but that's not too bad - gives me a fourth troupe if needs be. It's also a good chunk of points going into the Shadowseers though.

So, rambling aside: Double reborn warhost with 2 small Harley squads with characters (Yvraine and Visarch) in Starweavers, and 2 large ones on foot with shadowseers. Suddenly means opponent's got a lot of priorities when there's also 6 Reaver squads faffing about.

I could run the Triumvirate of Ynnead for the fearless bonuses of the guys on board (avoiding pinning), and for my HQ choices, go the tried and true route of a couple of solitary Lhameans who we only invited because their Venoms were cool.

Chuck in a Ravager, Solitaire and some other bits and bobs and it could all work out. Got a ludicrous amount of Kabalite Warriors too, but need to ask around about the efficiency of gunboats.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gnarly Ynnari Harlies   Gnarly Ynnari Harlies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gnarly Ynnari Harlies
Page 1 of 1