THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Suggestions on this technique?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

Suggestions on this technique? Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18 2011, 23:56

I'm planning to paint my Kabal in a pseudo Malys/Poisoned Tongue colour scheme.

I think that Like a Star @ heaven this Like a Star @ heaven scheme will be simple yet effective and look great.

Suggestions on this technique? Dark%20Eldar%20painting%20how%20close%20up

I'm planning black/grey bases with a few clumps of static grass for that 'waste land' look.

Any thoughts on the colour scheme or modifications that may be needed ? I'm planning on doing the Wyches the same. Possibly adding purple as a complement on more important people - eg the Archon's hair or some robes etc.

Back to top Go down
http://www.joerogers.info
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19 2011, 04:48

I would only add that it would look good to highlight the static grass with Bestial Brown and Bubonic Brown to get that real wasteland dead grass look while breaking up the grey bases. Looks like it will be a pretty simple scheme to pull off. Keep us posted. Very Happy

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 11:08

It's simple but I think it looks good.

Anyone know any other ways of painting dark eldar effectively but simply/quickly?

I'm actually getting the rest of my stuff today **WOOOOOOO**
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 13:04

using the image,

it appears to me that the base color is chaos black, dry-brushed very lightly with a little hawk turquoise and then edge lines with enchanted blue.

The rest is pretty straight forward.

As far as a quicky way to paint up DE, I woulu suggest the metallic DE is probably the fastest. I think Garfy did his with metallics and glazes, but you could prime black, paint with Bolt gun, the drybrush with chainmail or mithral silver, them wash it all with one of the GW washes. I don;t know how happy you would be with the results.

I think the scheme you have in the picture will be fine, not take to long and will look pretty good.

The one thing I have been keenly aware of, is that no ones DE get done very quickly. the models are very involved and there's just a lot of do with them. I doesn't mean it can't be done quickly, but they won't be done as fast as say... Necrons.

Suggestions on this technique? Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
fenrisnorth
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 16:10

Ice blue, Gar, Ice blue. Enchanted is a richer version of ultramarines blue. You're right on the speed thing though, phew, these are slow going.

Captured Victims: Castellan Crowe, Ultramarine Chapter Master
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 16:21

Ice blue, silly me. Yes, your right. Enchanted Blue is a nice color though. One of GWs best in the current line.

I would add that the end result is often well worth the effort on DE. These models just look so gosh darn sharp. Its really hard to wrong with them.

Ya know, one method that would be fast as all get out is to get a colored primer from Army Painter, the Navy blue comes to mind, prime the whole figure, then base color the rest and drop it in "The Dip" and call it good.

It won't look quite as good, but you can turn a figure around in maybe 10-20 minutes or so depending how fast you paint. It seems a shame for DE figures, but it is crazy fast.

Suggestions on this technique? Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 17:27

I put a link (the '*this*' part) but was wondering about the method itself. I think I will make the metallics less bright though. And there probably needs to be some light purple in there somewhere.

I know DE are slow to paint - quite fiddely compared to marines or even tau!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 19:31

GAR wrote:

The one thing I have been keenly aware of, is that no ones DE get done very quickly. the models are very involved and there's just a lot of do with them. I doesn't mean it can't be done quickly, but they won't be done as fast as say... Necrons.

Agree X1,000,000. There really is no way to crank them out Necron style with all of the beautiful details. I love and hate the army for this reason(mostly love).

I've seen some pretty damned good looking armies that have been dipped in my time with good results. The colored Army Painter Primers could definitely speed this up.

Back to top Go down
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 22:45

I'm not planning to crank them out but I just want to make sure it's simple so that there's less to go wrong. Also I am not painting any more red until next year (red tau and then red marines... my red warriors of chaos can wait!)

Hopefully tomorrow should start the grand assembly.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 23:16

No red? Oh, I wanted to show my old red-brass Warriors made with silver spray, red paint and dilluted brown wood stain (yeah, dipping). Apart from night of drying after spraying and then night after dipping I think I made 16 in half of hour. That's right, 30 minutes. I'm sure that I've spend more time on assembling.

Actually photo shows comparision between Warrior model and my first 28mm sculpt ever but...

IMHO black/blue wash mixed with chaos black carefuly applied on light blue is way to go. Don't forget You have paint chart in tutorial links Wink
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05 2011, 00:33

Phototoxin wrote:
I'm not planning to crank them out but I just want to make sure it's simple so that there's less to go wrong. Also I am not painting any more red until next year (red tau and then red marines... my red warriors of chaos can wait!)

Hopefully tomorrow should start the grand assembly.

Seems like you could do the Hawk Turquoise with an Ice Blue highlight pretty effectively with minimal time. Good luck tomorrow!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on this technique?   Suggestions on this technique? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on this technique?
Page 1 of 1