THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Suggestions for color patterns

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

Suggestions for color patterns Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02 2021, 16:55

Good day all!

Today is a glorious day as i'm about to start my 1st paint project for my Drukhari models Smile
Now, i'm never really good when it comes to choice options and there is just too many!!!!
I intend on using ''Contrast'' method and then add some layers if necessary.

Right now i'm hesitating between a mix of Green (Creed Camo) and maybe Aggaros Dunes for complementary color.

Another mix i'm really tempted is:
Akhelian Green with Aggaros Dunes.
This one i think would make a good mix of color to represent a more snowy feeling and maybe more original than the green one, but i never saw this kind of colors on Drukhari models, so i don't know if this will lead to something that makes no senses.....

I don't know if some of you have some images or suggestions to share!
Thanks in advance! (and btw, my skills are pretty low as i'm a complete beginner)
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02 2021, 18:17

unfortunately can't help you much on those colours as I haven't seen them to compare.

I do find that some of the schemes i've liked the most are those that are actually outside the "norm". I went with the typical Black Heart scheme myself when i got into Drukhari. As much as i like the scheme, if i had it to do over again I would try to mix it up some.

I love some of the armies I've seen with bone or sandstone coloured armour myself. Try googling to find some inspiration first, and then plan out your scheme to try.

The other bit of advice I would give to a beginner is don't be afraid to try a few different schemes out on a Kabalite warrior or two to get a feel for how they'll come out. You can usually paint over the ones you decide you don't like once you settle on the one you do.
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02 2021, 18:39

thanks for the tips Silverglade! much appreciated Smile
indeed i spent the week end trying some color matches on a Drazhar (i have 2, don't ask why, so i used my least well built model) and 1 kabalite. I've tried many colors.
I ended up liking the colors stated above but then was stuck choosing between the two.

Today i've spent some time on the internet looking for models and found a little bit what i was looking for, and as we speak, i'm more inclined to go with the Akhelian Green and Aggaros Dunes, exactly cause it stands out of the norm, and i find that lighter colors reveals more details on the armors.

i'll try some stuff and when i'll have a model ready i'll try to show it Smile
Back to top Go down
harlokin
Kabalite Warrior
harlokin

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03 2021, 09:17

When coming up with a colour scheme it's worth considering how you intend to apply it to your vehicles; something that's good/easy on Kabalites might not be when your painting a Raider.

I think that if I were starting again, I would seriously consider some of the interesting colour shifting paints available from various companies.

Kabal of the Mon-Keigh's Paw
Coven of the Screaming Statues
Cult of Veiled Malice
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03 2021, 12:55

thanks for the input Harlokin! I still haven't paint a single model as i'm still struggling to figure out what color to use.......i'm not that good at making choices and lets say that this choice is a heartbreaking one as its a permanent (more or less) one!
As we speak i think of going Contrast Aggaro Dune and Camo Creed, but one of my friend told me that for vehicles its not a good idea to use contrast paint.

harlokin likes this post

Back to top Go down
harlokin
Kabalite Warrior
harlokin

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03 2021, 13:35

Kalmah wrote:
thanks for the input Harlokin! I still haven't paint a single model as i'm still struggling to figure out what color to use.......i'm not that good at making choices and lets say that this choice is a heartbreaking one as its a permanent (more or less) one!
As we speak i think of going Contrast Aggaro Dune and Camo Creed, but one of my friend told me that for vehicles its not a good idea to use contrast paint.

Your friend is correct, I had that very issue.

I started a new Drukhari project using Gryph Hound Orange contrast, which is a lovely pigment rich colour. The problem with contrast is that when you use it on large, flat surfaces it will come out blotchy (because of the contrast 'sediment'). There are a number of solutions to this:

1) Use an airbrush (great if you have one)
2) Use a sponge or dry brush to stipple the paint on. This works...okay...but it's hard to get consistent results.
3) Use a non contrast paint for your vehicles. This is good in theory, but it can be really tricky getting a good colour match.

I tried option 2, and it was fine, but I wasn't totally happy. My solution was to have orange armoured infantry with black details, and for the vehicles I flipped the colours to mainly black with orange details (sails, highlights etc). Base coating a vehicle black, and then adding details is also much less work than starting with a light base coat, and painting the whole thing by hand.

Cult of Veiled Malice

harlokin and Kalmah like this post

Back to top Go down
harlokin
Kabalite Warrior
harlokin

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03 2021, 13:45

Oh, as an aside this is the kind of colour shift paint I was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkSN49ODfXg

A couple of companies do them now, and I think they could be cool for Drukhari

Cult of Veiled Malice
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03 2021, 13:56

now that's some good tricks you got there! A big thanks as they'll probably be helpful a lot!
And thanks for confirming the no contrast paint for vehicles!
I will probably try the option 3, but only for the big surfaces and for details i'll try to stick with contrast, so the ''bad color matchup'' will probably be less drastic.

I don't know if the color i chose will be hard to recreate using non contrast paint :/ well, still have a long way to go before i get to that point, so a lot of time to hone my skills as a painter and also make clearer decisions.

harlokin likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03 2021, 14:06

excellent video btw regarding the paint!
i'll take a closer look at it tonight when i'll be at home, seems full of good tricks!
Thanks again Smile

harlokin likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for color patterns   Suggestions for color patterns I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for color patterns
Page 1 of 1