THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Adepticon 2017

Go down 
+10
Anarchistscourge
BizarreShowbiz
Dalamar
Bhaal
amorrowlyday
Srota
TeenageAngst
BetrayTheWorld
Skulnbonz
Count Adhemar
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 23 2017, 17:40

Got paired against the guy who got 2nd place last year for my first game. Lost. I made a couple big mistakes right at the start. I can't say that I would have won were it not for those mistakes, but it at least would have been closer. Finishing lunch, then on to round 2!

On the bright side, losing game 1 should make future opponents softer, but at this point I probably have to table all my opponents to have a chance of the finals.
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 23 2017, 20:43

Your list is soft, kid, you better hope so.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 06:23

Ok, so to recap, here is the list I took to Adepticon:

Reborn Warhost 1:
1 Farseer w/ Singing spear
1 Warlock
1x3 Windrider Jetbikes w/Scatter lasers
1x5 Rangers
1 Wraithknight w/wraithcannons and 1 scatter laser

Seer Council:
2x1 Farseer w/ Singing spear
1x5 Warlock Conclave w/4 Singing Spears

Reborn Warhost 2:
1 Baharroth
1 Archon w/Jetbike, Banshee mask, & Laster Lance
1x3 Windrider Jetbikes w/ Scatter lasers
1x5 Rangers
1x1 Shadowseer w/Mask of Secrets, ML2
1x1 Vaul's Wrath Support Battery(Shadow Weaver)

I formed a deathstar with all the psykers using gate of infinity and novas/psychic shriek with leadership mods to teleport around the table without scattering(due to baharroth), killing infantry in the psychic phase. Whenever I killed a unit, I'd soulburst the deathstar to throw 7 S9 singing spears, preferably towards a vehicle, then repeat in their actual shooting phase.

I used the conclave with a single warlock in it to roll on sanctic, and be a suicide unit that I kept within 7 inches of both wraithknights. I threw 6 psychic dice at him casting his power(giving him about 98% chance of perils), to suicide him in my first turn. That allowed both wraithknights to soulburst in turn 1 of my psychic phase, allowing them to move up to 24", shoot, and charge turn 1, or allowing them to fire 8 D-shots in my first turn, depending on my opponent's list composition.

The reason I chose a low model count ynnari list is because this year Adepticon had kill points included in every mission, and it was about a third of your overall battle score. So by having far fewer, more difficult to kill units, I'd basically be denying my opponents the opportunity to score, and if I used my wraithknight soulbursts at the start to get within assault range, they'd basically be soulbursting, shooting, charging, and stomping their way to more soulbursts for the rest of the game.

So, that was the plan. Here is how it worked out:

Game 1: Got paired with the 2nd place finisher from last year's adepticon on my first game, playing against war convocation, which I've never actually faced before. The guy was a nice enough guy, but he was rushing me and I made some poor decisions at the start of the game, having only played this list once(and that was without the suicide warlock, which I added later, and to whom the mistake was related). Basically, I was being rushed and when I went to manifest a power with the warlock, I tried manifesting gate of infinity. I periled, but rolled a 6 and passed my leadership, so he lived, but then I had to gate of infinity. Then he died in a mishap and didn't trigger any soulbursts because GW FAQed that mishaps don't work that way. Anyhow, long story short, with more time and a practice game or two under my belt with this list, I may have fared far better. Instead, I lost. But if I'm going to lose, I'd rather lose to a guy who was in the championship game last year than anyone else.

Game 2: Against space marine demi-company w/grav and hunter's eye. Kept WKs in reserve, used psychic deathstar to absolutely wreck his army with soulbursts before WKs ever came one(killed an AV 14 building, the unit his warlord was with, 3 transports and the scouts inside, maybe more.) It was basically over before the WKs came on  in turn 2 for cleanup duty. WKs came on with suicide warlock for double shooting phases from the WKs on turn 2, and it was pretty much all downhill from there. He basically hardly killed anything of mine. I ended up getting maximum score.

Game 3: This was a doozie. I was playing against a Tau player. I got to go first. He seized. He had a stormsurge and declared shooting attacks against multiple units. He chose to resolve the one against my scatterbikes first(which would trigger 2 WKs if they died). He rolled to generate hits on whatever weapon he was using, rolling like 20 shots or something at them, then rolled to wound and all that. It was AP5. GW FAQed that when a model has access to more than 1 save, you get to choose whichever one is "best" for your given situation. Since windriders have "mesh armour" in their wargear that confers a 5+ armour save, I chose to use that one against his AP5 weapon. The guy got all bent out of shape and called a judge. The judges basically took like 45 minutes to decide that, despite the FAQ from GW, I couldn't use the armour save granted by my wargear, but I COULD take a 5+ cover save one of my 3 models had from an intervening model(No idea why 1 save is OK and the other isn't, but that's how they ruled.) So anyhow, the guy also tries to change the order he wants to resolve his shooting attacks in, despite having already rolled to generate shots, rolled to hit, and rolled to wound. I said he already did his attack, and he felt like I was being unreasonable about this(Bear in mind I asked him if he was familiar with Ynnari rules before the game and he said he was, and handwaves, saying "extra actions from units dying, soulburst actions, etc, etc.). So anyhow, finally resolve the attack, having had the judges rule against what the GW FAQ says, and my whole unit dies anyway and triggers my 2 wraithknights to soulburst. The first fires 2 D shots at his stormsurge and 6's him out with D. Second didn't do much of note. Killed a command squad of drones, basically. Bear in mind, we're about 1 hour and 45 minutes into a 2 hour and 45 minute game, and I haven't had a turn yet. So my turn rolls around, I do the warlock suicide trick, triggering both my wraithknights to soulburst. He stops the clock again and wants a judge to confirm that I can use the rule from the reborn warhost to soulburst a unit if the first "natural" soulburst was from a different detachment. The judges have a huge pow wow, it takes about 30 minutes and we're told to roll off to see which way to play it. Roll goes in his favor. Despite not getting full soulburst, I position well and kill what I need to to basically ensure max points if the game ends right there at the end of TURN 1!!! 12 minutes left to play, opponent, clearly frustrated, doesn't want to try to get another turn in. I win, just shy of max battle points(29 of 30). After the fact, I realized I should have actually had 1 more point from killing the stormsurge(2 for superheavy wounds, and 1 for killpoints). We didn't count the killpoint.

Between game 3 and game 4, the judges decided that they weren't going to allow the bonus soulburst from a reborn warhost to be used unless the first unit chosen to soulburst was from the same detachment, so that basically killed my list going into game 4. After the exausting 3 hour turn with the guy in game 3, I almost didn't even want to bother playing in round 4, but I figured I'd just play it out casual and concede to my opponent when my list didn't function(because it wouldn't function properly without being able to use bonus soulbursts from the detachment rules.

Game 4: Played against Tau. Riptide wing, Culexus Assassin, yada, yada. I was tired and not really into it at this point. As anticipated, without being able to soulburst both the wraithknights in a turn, the list completely fell flat. It was designed to exploit multiple bonus soulbursts from multiple reborn warhosts. Without that, it just didn't have the damage output. Also, my psychic deathstar got chopped in half before it could get any buffs up, so we played like 2 turns and I just told him I'd concede to him to give him a better chance of winning something in the tournament(When your opponent concedes, you get max battle points for the game.)

So, moral of the story: In no circumstances, ever, can more than 2 units get a soulburst from 1 unit death due to the reborn warhost rules, and in order for those 2 units to get a soulburst, they must both be from the same detachment, per adepticon staff.

Everything I've seen prior to this, people were using multiple detachments to generate 2-4 total soulbursts per unit death. This ruling significantly reduces the utility of taking multiple reborn warhosts. You're likely better off taking a single warhost with included formations, as then at least you know that any friendly unit you're close to will be eligible for the additional detachment soulburst effect.

If they would have ruled in my favor on that ruling, it would have put me 5 points out of the finals, so I still wouldn't have won anything, but I would have been top 15%.

Nothing bad to say about any of the players. Even the guy from game 3, I understood his position. The prospect of your opponent counter-firing D-weapons every time you kill something is frustrating, so he was just arguing every nuance he could in order to counterbalance that advantage. At one point, he told me that I had to cast guide on a unit instead of prescience because I said guide first, despite having not rolled a single dice. He said I "declared it", and if you're following along, this was at the point where I had just started my first turn over 2 hours into the time clock, so I didn't want to argue it. I mean, it was literally like, "I'm going to cast guide on this wraithknight, err, wait, let me check the range of prescience first."

Nope, you declared it already....

And I understood his position. I wouldn't have been that way about something that clearly isn't a rule, but I did understand his frustration. Had I thought there was any possibility of the judges ruling against the reborn warhosts rule from being used, I'd have asked in advance and took a different list if they said no. It didn't even occur to me that they may not allow it, since everyone I saw talking about it had pretty much settled that is how it worked. Anyhow, live and learn. Going to bed now! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 14:25

I think managing only 1 turn in the allowed time must be a new record! I like the lone warlock trick!

Can't wait to hear about our other denizens and see how they got on. Did you meet up with anyone?

TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 17:06

Sounds like he spent some quality time at the bottom tables so his chances of meeting other DE players was pretty high. OOOOOOOOOHHH.

OOOOOOOOOHHH.

OOOOOhkay I'm done.

But seriously after all that bragging about your skills and outsmarting opponents you got slowplayed and nitpicked to death. Bring some spiders and the Yncarne and you might have some mojo next tournament that just can't be beat.

Did you get wasted while playing? No one should endure a Tau shooting phase sober.

Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 17:50

It sounds more like they were adjudicated to death, and when they didn't make compelling enough arguments to prevent being forced into a roll off.
Back to top Go down
Bhaal
Hellion
Bhaal

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 18:41

@BetrayTheWorld

Let me see if I can understand this correctly. You have two detachments. Each having their own individual rule (even if it happens to the the same rule/wording) and you are being told by the TO that you are only allowed to have one of your detachments' rule trigger, even if both meet the requirement to do so?

I may be rather new to the game, so I could be missing a crucial rule or ruling here, but that doesn't seem to be quite how any other two detachments work, unless otherwise expressively stated. I've been over the rules now a few times and I can't seem to find any support for this ridiculous ruling.

I understand the frustration of your opponent and anyone considering your list to be very strong, because it is. I've certainly felt that frustration many times going up against more powerful lists and codices while playing my beloved Dark Eldar. But it frustrates me even more when people take to special pleading to get rid of something they don't like or understand.
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 19:34

Go to the Dakkadakka boards and the ynnari tactics forum. The multiple detachments has been discussed to death. Here was the final word on the subject that everyone seemed to not argue against. The gist is Command Benefits can only effect units in that detachment.

"This is how multiple Reborn Hosts works:

A unit dies. Pick ONE Ynnari unit within 7" to Soulburst. (Strength From Death rule)
Now an additional unit FROM THAT SAME DETACHMENT may also Soulburst. (Reborn Host command benefit)

If the first unit you picked to Soulburst was from Host A, how the heck are allowed to pick the second unit for Host B?
The second unit from Host B cannot Soulburst because another unit already did, and because it wasn't from Host B, no bonus is given.
The COMMAND BENEFIT is allowed within the detachment.

Think of this scenario: Host A has 7+ units. Host B has LESS than 7 units
If you have a units from both Hosts near a unit that is destroyed, what happens? If the Host B unit Soulbursts, does that allow the Host A unit to Soulburst? or Vice Versa?
One of the Hosts does not meet the requirements, so a second unit cannot be chosen unless it is from the same Host that does meet the requirement
Since the rules for SfD only normally allow 1 unit to Soulburst, Host A & B CANNOT Soulburst off the same kill, meaning a MAX of 2 Soulbursts.....EVER"

The conclusion Taking more than one Warhost is a headache.
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 19:51

@betraytheworld, I understand why you didn't share your list earlier. I agree with it, but when I saw your list on BCP app I was hoping you wouldn't have to be judged on because I had 80+% chance you being ruled against.

I wish you had posted your list early so I could have warned you. Having your list neutered because of a ruling mid tourney sucks.
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 20:06

Well, I knew the list I brought was not top tier, but it is fun to play.. it was:
Lahmean
5 warriors
12 reavers 4 caltrops
Autarch, mask, bike, lance
Two squads scatter bikes
Scathatch knight with flamers
Prince, bike, mask of secrets, scatter shield
Two squads splinter cannon bikes
Three hornets
Warp hunter
Lynx

So... game 1 was against a demon player with a formation of all 4 princes, one of each faction, 2 hell drakes, and the like. The game was not one I wanted, but played it as best I could. I killed everything but two princes, and those two had re rollable 2+ invul saves. Had them each to one wound. Would have pulled out a minor win but the reavers failed a hit and run check.
That hurt a bit. Lost the first game due to a failed hit and run and he only had two models left. But, I was playing the get for fun, the team to win, so I was ok with it and went to game two.

Game two was against dark angels battle company and bikes. 3 melta drop pods, big nasty bike unit, and like 11 rhinos full of stuff. He had a 4+ seize, but failed. After turn 1 he had two rhinos left a smattering of marines and his bike squad. It was a bad match up for him, and it was out of his reach before he even had a chance to go.

Game three, eldar and tau.
He had farseer, spirit seer, 2 wraithknights, five bike squads, four of them scatter laser, a void shield generator, 2 wraithknights and a riptide wing. .
Yeah, that looks fun.
Anyway, I win the roll to go first, he castles in a corner behind his shields. He then SIEZES!!
Needless to say, turn 1 he removes my warp hunter and my lynx.
So talk of conceding was mentioned but I wanted to see what I could do with what was left. So I started racking up maelstrom, and whittling away at his bikes. My reavers flew right in his face. My skathatch jumped then dropped in the shield, taking out his farseer and spirit seer and wounding a riptide and a knight. He then shot everything at my scathatch, rolling a 6 on the d chart until I reminded him all he did was drop the shield he had regenerated the turn before. Was quite funny actually. But while doing this, he ignored the reavers, so my next turn, they ran rampant. Took out both tides, then a wraithknight, all his bikes. At the end of the game, he had one wraithknight and one bike left running away from my reavers. Beat him on all three objectives as well as the tertiary.
From the worst start possible to almost tabling him. Lesson to be learned?
NEVER underestimate reavers.
The people I came with wanted to leave, and since I lost the first game I left with them. Was fun, and great opponents all.
Stupid two plus rerollable invul and failing a hit and run. Little things like that are the difference between a win and a loss.

Will let you know how the team does.

Bhaal
Hellion
Bhaal

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 20:09

Dalamar wrote:

"This is how multiple Reborn Hosts works:

A unit dies. Pick ONE Ynnari unit within 7" to Soulburst. (Strength From Death rule)
Now an additional unit FROM THAT SAME DETACHMENT may also Soulburst. (Reborn Host command benefit)

I think we get this, and I'm not arguing against this. My understanding was that two units from different detachments are in range of a unit that dies, both units are allowed to soulburst.
Now, if four units, two each from two detachments are in range of a unit that dies, one unit from each detachment should be able to soulburst, and use the detachment rules to pick another unit to soulburst, making a total of 4 units soulbursting.

Am I wrong in this assumtion? Apparently I am according to adepticon. Or am I misinterpreting the adepticon ruling?
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 20:20

The argument is that the trigger for the free sfd is not generated by the death but is instead generated by the other sfd from the same detachment. If you have 2 detachments it's impossible for you to simultaneously select a unit from both detachments to make the initial soul burst action as only one unit can claim the originally generated soulburst action.

I guess the shorthand is: why do you think you'd get the initial soul burst for 2 units not even taking the command benefit into consideration?
Back to top Go down
Bhaal
Hellion
Bhaal

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 20:43

amorrowlyday wrote:

I guess the shorthand is: why do you think you'd get the initial soul burst for 2 units not even taking the command benefit into consideration?

I guess I don't currently have a good reason.
Back to top Go down
BizarreShowbiz
Sybarite
BizarreShowbiz

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 22:17

Its a shame our Dark City representatives didnt do so hot. I was expecting great things from @betraytheworld in particular, but everyone has their off days I guess, and it doesnt help having some clueless guy (or playing the part of one) call a ref on you for every tiny thing you do.

The last time that happened to me was against a very well known spanish ETC player (Julio Torrado), that pretended to not know basic stuff and constantly called the ref to waste time becouse he was dumb enough to deploy first even when I was seizing on 2+ and thought I was going to table him if he let me play 2 or 3 turns. I completely lost my crap, so props on taking it so well. Better luck next time.

that said, IMO if your list revolves around a controversial rule, you should definetly contact a ref beforehand to clear it up, it must suck having to play a list that isnt allowed to work as intended in the middle of a tournament.

By the way, about game 3 I've always taken for granted that when an unit split fires (being gargantuan/superheavy or whatever) you declare all its shooting first, then everything takes place at the same time, even if its resolved by steps, thus you have to wait to soulburst until he's done shooting. ¿Am I missing something? I hope I am.

On the topic of multiple warhosts not being able to trigger multiple host of ynnead's soulbursts, I dont see how. Unit dies, primary unit SfD soulburst, and so do an additional unit from detachment A and another from detachment B given the rule Host of Ynnead. I dont see where it specifies that the original unit that benefitted from the SfD burst has to be from that same detachment that the one that gets the extra one, unless we give "additional" a meaning other than what appears in the dictionary.

Great comeback in that game 3 @skulnbonz. "Dont go gentle into that good night, rage on against the dying light". A shame you left early. ¿People do that in USA if they have no chances to win? seems strange to me, leaving the tournament before it ends having spent a lot of money to get there.

I hope you had a great time guys. Did you have time to meet up? Are any of you thinking about coming to this year ESC in Salamanca? I probably will!

amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 24 2017, 22:52

I can speak to the additional bit. It is absolutely a lost in translation problem. Additional always inherently implies "of the same" If you don't have an origin reference you don't have anything to be in addition to. A detachment that doesn't have a member opting to have been triggered for SfD simply doesn't realize that a death has occurred for the Warhost of Ynnead command benefit's purposes.

To be perfectly frank, I was thinking along the same lines as BtW and building my lists that way, but having gone over the RAW several times now I fully agree with that end conclusion, but absolutely abhor how adepticon came to it.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25 2017, 03:56

BizarreShowbiz wrote:

that said, IMO if your list revolves around a controversial rule, you should definetly contact a ref beforehand to clear it up

I absolutely agree. However, all the conversations I'd seen regarding this were people conceding that both warhosts rule could trigger simultaneously. That's really the only advantage to taking multiple warhosts. Had I thought it was at all controversial, I definitely would have asked beforehand.

BizarreShowbiz wrote:
By the way, about game 3 I've always taken for granted that when an unit split fires (being gargantuan/superheavy or whatever) you declare all its shooting first, then everything takes place at the same time, even if its resolved by steps, thus you have to wait to soulburst until he's done shooting. ¿Am I missing something? I hope I am.

It's debatable due to the "immediately" wording for soulburst. One could easily argue that a rule that triggers "immediately" happens in between steps in a phase, so if step 1 is fire weapon 1, and step 2 is fire weapon 2, someone could argue that a soulburst triggered by step 1 goes before step 2. In the only 2 times that came up in the tournament, I assumed immediately meant immediately, and my opponents did not contest that. The first one resulted in me sixing out a stormsurge, and the second resulted in me moving my seer council out of line of sight from subsequent weapon fire.

A judge could go either way with it. If I was on the other side of the table from me, I would have probably stated that since it was my turn and it's arguable that the events take place at the same time, I get to choose the order based on the sequencing rules, and I think that might be a pretty defensible position. Much of the time in grey rules areas, the difference between winning and losing may simply lie in your ability to argue the rules position that advantages you most at the time.

BizarreShowbiz wrote:
unless we give "additional" a meaning other than what appears in the dictionary.

Yeah, this was basically what the main TO of adepticon said, that the word "additional" means that someone first must have soulburst, which they then viewed as having to be from the same detachment since it's a detachment special rule.

I played the entire tournament on 3 hours of sleep, so I wasn't at my best when arguing my positions. Having had time to sleep and think it over, there is still an argument that both detachments should trigger their special rule, and it is this:

Both detachments are part of the same ARMY.
The strength from death rule that triggers the first soulburst is an ARMY special rule.
So the detachment special rule, while only allowed to benefit a unit from the detachment, triggers off of an ARMY rule, not another detachment unit.
Because of the fact that both detachments are part of the same army, and thus limited by the ARMY RULE limit of 1 soulburst per death, both detachment's special rules should trigger when the army rule triggers, because both detachments are part of the army from which the first rule originates.

I think if I would have been capable of articulating it this way when I was at the tournament, they probably would have accepted that argument. However, the fact that I was at the tail end of a long day in which I was operating on 3 hours sleep, I wasn't able to compose as coherent of an argument as I'd liked. I UNDERSTOOD my argument/position. I just wasn't capable of communicating it effectively at the time. It's interesting how sleep, or a lack thereof effects us.
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25 2017, 04:13

@BetrayTheWorld sounds like excuses to me!

But the question remains, how drunk were you when this was taking place?

Back to top Go down
Anarchistscourge
Kabalite Warrior
Anarchistscourge

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25 2017, 04:16

@betraytheworld I would be very interested to know the order in which you roll for your psychic powers with the units and what disciplines you roll on
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25 2017, 04:45

Super heavies have to select all targets for the their weapons before rolling dice. Since soulburst triggers between resolving weapons it fine

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25 2017, 05:29

Anarchistscourge wrote:
@betraytheworld I would be very interested to know the order in which you roll for your psychic powers with the units and what disciplines you roll on

I said before that if I ever posted this, it would be a long post. I'm sure this post won't disappoint in that regard. Wink Here goes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My warlord was 1 of the farseers in the seer council. Here is a very quick/basic rundown of how I did my psychic powers:

First, roll to try to get the Ynnari warlord trait that let's you pick your powers. Reroll any result that isn't it. If you get it, plan to choose your warlord's powers last.

Regardless, I then start rolling on my second council farseer, rolling 1 dice at a time on sanctic, looking for gate of infinity, sanctuary and cleansing flame. Gate is crucial against all opponents. Sanctuary and cleansing flame are generally very important against almost all opponents.(With few exceptions). If I don't get gate, I continue rolling characters on sanctic until I do, starting with the warlock council, then a second warlock, then shadowseer, then third warlock. I've never got past 3 psykers without getting it though. Normally I get it on the first 2. If your warlord has the "choose your powers" warlord trait, ignore rolling additional rolls on characters beyond the first and just follow the rest of this outline:

If I at least get gate on the first character, I roll 1 dice on telepathy with the shadowseer. If I get invis, I keep it and roll on aethermancy. If I don't get invis, I take shriek and roll on aethermancy. Looking for mirror of minds, peal of discord, or laugh of sorrows on aethermancy. If you don't roll one of those 3, take veil of tears instead.

Roll the non-council farseer on runes of fate, looking for fortune. If I get it on the first roll, I "roll" 1 more dice on fate to snag guide, then throw the last die at something like invisibility(if I don't have "pick powers"), or just take prescience. If your second roll on fate is something decent like mind war or eldritch storm(conditionally, based on what you're facing), feel free to roll all dice on fate.

If all went well and you didn't need to roll your council on sanctic, roll your council on runes of battle, giving conceal/reveal and 2 other powers. Of particular interest in the list is Horrify, Jinx, and Destructor, being -3 leadership penalty, -1 armour save penalty, and a heavy flamer template, respectively.

Finally, if you have the warlord trait that allows you to pick your powers, pick whatever powers you didn't manage to roll but that you wanted with your warlord. If you don't have that warlord trait, roll wherever you need to fill gaps. Here is a list of powers you want, ranked very roughly from crucial to luxury. Understand that some on the crucial end of the spectrum will become less crucial if you have certain other powers. For instance, if you have sanctuary and fortune already(giving you rerollable 3++ saves), then invis isn't nearly as necessary. Also of note is that even though invis is more important/powerful than fortune or sanctuary, the charts that fortune and sanctuary pull from are generally more useful overall than telepathy, with the exception of the primaris. So I find it most reasonable to take single pot shots at invis, taking it if I get lucky, but instead planning on having fortune/sanctuary instead. Anyhow, here is the list:

Gate of infinity
Invisibility
Fortune
Cleansing Flame(Nova)
Sanctuary
Psychic Shriek
Mirror of minds
Horrify
Eldritch Storm
Storm of whispers(Nova)
Peal of Discord(Nova)
Veil of Tears
Unbind souls
Destructor
Jinx
Spirit hook
Gaze of Ynead
Terrify

Guide and Prescience are situational. If you're in a format that allows multiple reborn warhosts to proc extra soulburst actions, and allows multiple wraithknights like adepticon did, then you'd definitely want to have them. In a list where you depend less on single, powerful shooting shots, it's probably safe not to worry about them that much, instead going for more direct damage psychic powers. In any case, guide is rarely a bad pickup since you'll already be rolling on that chart, and it will always be helpful for making the most of singing spears. Remember to do guide early on in the psychic phase though if you're using it on your deathstar so that if/when you trigger a soulburst, your deathstar gets the benefit of it twice in the turn instead of only once.

So anyhow, if you have from the last nova power listed upwards on the list, you have a pretty terrifying deathstar, and it's not all that uncommon to get those powers with it when you roll methodically. Unfortunately, it DOES take time to do so, so if you are playing in a tournament with a time limit, it's best to bring pre-printed sheets with your psykers and potential charts for each psyker on them, then just circle the powers you roll instead of having to write them all down as you roll. Big time saver.

So you basically end up with a non-scattering teleporting deathstar with multiple nova powers(that each autohit every unit within 9 inches for 2d6 hits), with a -2 leadership aura, that blinds every unit within 6 inches of where baharroth lands on a failed initiative test, that is extremely difficult to hurt, much less kill outright. You basically teleport right into the middle of blobs of their units and go to town with novas and witchfires. When a unit dies, soulburst to throw 7 S9 singing spears, 4 hawk's talon shots, a hallucinogen grenade launcher, etc in the psychic phase. I generally use this soulburst to take out a nearby vehicle if possible, then continue with novas and witchfires to hit any newly disembarked passengers. Rinse and repeat shooting in the shooting phase. It's worth noting that if you get all 3 nova powers, you're able to do 6d6 hits to every unit within 9"(or a roughly 19" circle) just using those 3 powers, 2 of which ignore cover. To put this in perspective, with only 4 units within range, that's an average of 84 autohits generated by 1 unit, not counting additional witchfires.

Then, next turn when everything around your deathstar is a crater, teleport to wherever your enemy has chosen to run and hide, and do it all over again.  Twisted Evil

Any questions?
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25 2017, 06:36

Ctrl+F 'aethermancy' replace all 'phantasmancy'

Nice.
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25 2017, 06:56

Now here's a question, what happens if the opponent turtles behind Sisters of Silence, or a Culexus in a bunker? Do you dodge around to avoid it? If so, how would you generate soulbursts?

Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25 2017, 23:32

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
Reborn Warhost 1:
1 Farseer w/ Singing spear
1 Warlock
1x3 Windrider Jetbikes w/Scatter lasers
1x5 Rangers

Seer Council:
2x1 Farseer w/ Singing spear
1x5 Warlock Conclave w/4 Singing Spears
Is there a unit missing on that Reborn Warhost? Or does the Seer Council count as two units? Otherwise I only count six units for the command benefit.

Thanks for the detailed description of the psychic powers planning. I have been dismantled a couple of times by a well played psychic deathstar, and that is an area of my gaming that I need to get better at.

On the mesh armour on jetbikes save, I can somewhat see where that is coming from as I naturally assume the jetbike replaces the 5+ save with the 3+ save. You could still of course choose your favourite from armour/cover/invul.

Last edited by Kantalla on Sat Mar 25 2017, 23:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 25 2017, 23:34

Seer council is 3.
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 26 2017, 00:18

Two games in for the team, 120 out of 120. So far so good

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adepticon 2017   Adepticon 2017 - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adepticon 2017
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next