THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Alternate models

Go down 
+2
aurynn
Archon_91
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04 2017, 19:26

I have been looking for different models that could be used as incubi and Grotesques ... I've come up with a couple of things for Incubi, the Aelf executioner's or wildwood rangers seem to be good substitutes and for grots I was thinking the scaven storm fiends (these aren't ideal as they are a bit pricey). I like the original models but don't really have the money to buy one grot at a time or 5 incubi when the wildwood rangers give 10 models for less. Any suggestions are welcome.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04 2017, 21:45

Well I am all for replacing Grots as the models are awful. Have a look at this.

As for replacing Incubi... not very fond of that. They are not THAT expensive and the models (albeit resin) are superb and worth the money.
Back to top Go down
mightydoughnut
Sybarite
mightydoughnut

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04 2017, 22:35

Storm Fiends are big enough to replace Talos, I'd say they are too big for Grots, they are around Dreadnought-sized. Hell, I've seen nice Dark Skaven Eldar in Speeesh once on a tourney. They can look amazing. Convert normal rat ogors from isles of blood/spire of dawn. They're like 3$ a pop and fit size just perfectly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/StarHorsePaints
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04 2017, 22:59

@aurynn I completely agree that the Incubi are worth it I'm just wondering if anyone has come up with alternatives as it would cost me nearly $240 to buy all the Incubi models I want in just the resin unless they release a cheaper plastic set which I would be all for!
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04 2017, 23:02

Well size does not matter in the game really. Some vehicles measure from hull, some from base - irrelevant as long as you keep up with the same measurement all game.

The only negative is that the bigger the model, the less you can fit in a certain dimension - like when you charge a unit, you will fit 50% less 60mm base models than 40mm base models into contact line.

However Isle of Blood ogors are fine. There were also some nice conversions from AOS normal Ogres too.

Ad Incubi - I understand. Then the choices you listed are certainly viable, but will require some modifications to be believably Drukhari.
Back to top Go down
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05 2017, 07:43

What modifications would you suggest?
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05 2017, 07:58

Depends if you go Drukhari or Ynnari.

For Ynnari I use plenty of AOS Warlocks bits and othe Dark Aelf, Sylvaneth Dryad/Spirits bits. Armours, Sorceress torsos...

Wildwood rangers have a trouble of not being armoured enough to be believably 3+ but given how the sprues are made, there is not much you can do about it. I'd give them some Drukhari or Dark Aelfs helmets. Hide the sylvaneth runes too.

Executioners are good as they are for stand-ins IMO.

Both models have static poses and look very rank-and-file though. Thats why I am not a fan of their modifications. Perhaps combining warriors armour with their weapons. Warriors are cheap to get since people hunt their sprues for Blasters and not the warriors themselves.
Back to top Go down
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05 2017, 08:20

I have left over warrior bits from Trueborn units I've made and from raiders so that shouldn't be an issue, thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05 2017, 09:37

I did use Wildwood Rangers for my Incubi, and I think they look great.

I did a bit fo work on them to reduce the Wood Elfiness, and tried to give each of them a new mask.

Alternate models Incubi%202_zpslo0c6pao

EDIT: Sigh. Grumble grumble photobucket grumble.

I've personally never been a fan of the "real" Incubi models - I think they look far too close to standard Kabalite armour. SO I definitely revcommend Wildwood Rangers.

As for "armoured enough", I disagree. Lets not forget that Incubi are athletic fighters, and 3+ is quite subjective. Power Armour is 3+ and extremely bulky, but so are AUtrachs, and most Aspect Warriors. And they're armour is quite thin and lithe.

Last edited by Squidmaster on Wed Jul 05 2017, 12:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
aurynn
Incubi

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05 2017, 10:20

Idea - how about kabalite warriors or something like that with Hellion weapons?
Back to top Go down
Arani
Hellion
Arani

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05 2017, 11:06

Here's what I've got for my grotesques.. (Pardon the god awful paintjob, they're shelf jockies)

Alternate models Wheirmk

From left to right..

A Wrack, A GW Grotesque, a Blighted Ogrun Warspear (from Privateer Press), a GW Ogryn (Astra militarum range), and a Rat Ogor (Skaven line of Age of Sigmar)

The masks and weapons were pulled from extra Talos kits.

Blighted Ogrun Warspears

Alternate models HA6VLy9

Astra Militarum Ogryn

Alternate models PEf3fO4

Skaven Rat Ogor (still needs to be kit-bashed, but I have the highest hopes for this guy)

Alternate models XGo0XsS
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05 2017, 12:41

You can also use our cousins' Wraith Guard/Blades, i did, then i corrupted them a bit with spikes and coven stuff:
Alternate models Group2_zpsgvheccub

It would be great if we had a sticky thread for questions like this, as i see them popping up often these days.
Oh wait! There is!
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t931-alternative-sources-for-dark-eldar-models
It's actually almost directly above this thread lol!

Another good place to look is http://www.thedarkcity.net/f25-the-aphotic-gallery
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alternate models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternate models   Alternate models I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alternate models
Page 1 of 1