THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Why would you ever take an archon?

Go down 
+26
Painjunky
Kantalla
Seshiru
amishprn86
aurynn
The Shredder
|Meavar
Count Adhemar
Quauchtemoc
Jimsolo
Dread Serpent
sekac
lament.config
SarisKhan
Colifato
Duke Daedric
The Strange Dark One
Sslyth
CptMetal
Mppqlmd
Hellstrom
Cerve
TheBaconPope
dumpeal
Massaen
TeenageAngst
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Colifato
Slave
Colifato

Why would you ever take an archon? Empty
PostSubject: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 02:26

Why would you pick an archon if you have other awesome options like the solitaire or the autarch.
I mean, he only buff leadership.

I had tested a list with a solitaire and he managed to kill a 10 man grey knight unit. Then died. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 02:35

A few reasons. Archons are cheap, they can soak Overwatch like a champ, and if you stick one in a Tantalus then almost everything you have on the board magically gets Leadership 9.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 03:12

The solitaire is not a HQ so it's not a great comparison.

The archon is durable and Killy enough for his 60ish points to be ok. Hand him an agoniser and blast pistol and good to go.
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 03:37

If you take eldar in your army, you get a Aeldari army and not a Drukhari army. Which mean you won't be able to pick Drukhari stratagems when they will come out.
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 06:18

Quote :
If you take eldar in your army, you get a Aeldari army and not a Drukhari army. Which mean you won't be able to pick Drukhari stratagems when they will come out.

Though it pains me to say so, I don't forsee this to be a concern for many months to come.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 06:50

Because Ti2+ + CP rerolls is nasty
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 06:55

Quote :
Because Ti2+ + CP rerolls is nasty

Hate to be the downer, but the Shadowfield rule isolates that it cannot be rerolled for any reason.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 07:18

Well I had an archon soak like 11W before his Shadowfield dropped. He was such a PITA... So yea. That's why - people tend to think twice if they want to bet on me rolling that "1" or get stuck in CC.
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 07:22

I'm just glad shadow fields are included in the cost now. 0 is the absolute most I'm willing to pay for those piece of garbage devices.

Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 07:41

They are not a garbage. They are a deterrent. Try not to think about it from your perspective, but your oponnent's perspective.

"Do I move my Dread into this position so I can fire at that unit and get charged by the Archon who has a good chance of tying it till the end of the game or not?"

OR

"There is that archon with Agoniser and Blast Pistol in Venom circling to my backfield to play with my precious shooty tank... I have no counterchargers there..."

Shadowfield is a tactical thing. Not a CC invulnerability.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 09:19

aurynn wrote:
They are not a garbage. They are a deterrent. Try not to think about it from your perspective, but your oponnent's perspective.

It's only a deterrent to people who don't know me and my dice. Anyone who does, knows that the chance of me rolling a 1 on my first Shadowfield save is roughly 98%!
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 10:00

Why would you ever take an archon ?
Cheap okayish HQ slot. 60-70 points for an equipped warlord is really cheap.
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych
Hellstrom

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 10:30

That's not cheap. 35 points for a Warlock is "the" cheap.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 10:36

Hellstrom wrote:
That's not cheap.  35 points for a Warlock is "the" cheap.
Just because you can find something cheaper doesn't contest the fact that the archon is cheap.
"This table was quite cheap".
"No, this bubblegum is cheap".
If you're okay with having to ally to CW, and you need a tax HQ, then go ahead, and take a Warlock (and since it even has utility, it's much better than the archon). But some people actually want to play DE, and for them, Archon is the cheap HQ. And compared to most armies, 70ish points for a HQ that is survivable, has a very good shooting attack, and might do something in CC is cheap.

Now let's agree, DE HQs stink on ice. But at least with the Archon you're pouring less points into a useless HQ.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 10:56

I think the Archon would be great, if he'd have a decent aura.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 12:28

Why do people want to use our HQs as SM or other HQs? There is strength in not having to stick with other units. I am glad we have a HQ that does not have to predictably keep between units to buff them and go do something unexpected. Archon is useless if you are trying to make him a SM Captain. He is great for the points on his own.
Back to top Go down
Sslyth
Hellion
Sslyth

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 13:06

- Because you like the model
- Because you want your army lead by an Archon
- Because he is pretty durable with his 2+Save and Sslyth bodyguards
- Because he works great with a Tantalus
- Because he is a BS2+ Blaster
- Because he is relatively cheap for what he brings to the table

plenty of reasons
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 13:15

Sslyth wrote:
- Because he is pretty durable with his 2+Save and Sslyth bodyguards

I hadn't quite appreciated how durable he becomes with Sslyth. Because they are characters and you need to choose your targets for shooting before rolling to hit, anyone trying to shoot them out of the way in order to get to the Archon has to pretty much fire entire units at each Sslyth individually because you can't split fire into another one as it's not the closest unit.
Back to top Go down
Quauchtemoc
Sybarite
Quauchtemoc

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 13:20

Well in the shooting phase its true indeed (expet against sniper) but its not true in figth phase
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 13:23

True, but they can still screen the Archon and keep him out of combat (if he so wishes).
Back to top Go down
Quauchtemoc
Sybarite
Quauchtemoc

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 13:28

Count Adhemar wrote:
True, but they can still screen the Archon and keep him out of combat (if he so wishes).
Of course but if you dont want your archon to go on combat then don't take sslyth
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 13:35

Quauchtemoc wrote:
Count Adhemar wrote:
Of course but if you dont want your archon to go on combat then don't take sslyth

The Sslyth are there for firepower, resilience and ablative wounds. If you make the Archon Ynnari, he gets to fire his blaster anytime one of them dies too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 13:37

Well Venom can screen your archon in shooting phase if you need to.
@Count Adhemar - Thats actually a nice little perk. Although I still prefer Agoni/BlastPistol. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 13:39

The Venom is his first line of defence. Then the Sslyth. Then his Shadowfield. Then his running shoes.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 13:55

CptMetal wrote:
I think the Archon would be great, if he'd have a decent aura.

This.
I don't mind him being sub-par in combat, but you get a lot of value due to the auras of a Succubus or Haemonculus.

Also, if you take a Blaster he is suddenly not that cheap anymore.
I wish he had the "Marked for Death" ability from the 7th edition start formation...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why would you ever take an archon?   Why would you ever take an archon? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why would you ever take an archon?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next