THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Archon model alternatives?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ZealousJ
Slave
ZealousJ

Archon model alternatives?  Empty
PostSubject: Archon model alternatives?    Archon model alternatives?  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20 2017, 02:56

Hi all

This has probably been brought up a dozen times before buy can I ask, what so people use as an alternative to the current archon model?

I really dislike the stock pose and, try as I might, I can't convert it in such a way as to satisfy me. I. Just can't get past those ballet dancer legs. I've no idea why he's on his tippy toes, knees together. In my opinion the old archon model was much better, but then again I tend to bbe a fan of simpler poses on character models.

I'd really appreciate any ideas or even pictures of your own alternatives. I'm relatively skilled at snippin and stickin, but I don't want to spend a lot of money and I'm worried using the legs from the kabalite will leave me a warrior down.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: Archon model alternatives?    Archon model alternatives?  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20 2017, 03:40

Personally, I just stole the torso off of the Egyptian Overlord, then stuck it on a Kab. A Venom blade from the Scourge kit can be reasonably used as a Power Sword, Huskblade, and Agonizer. A helmeted head (The Sybarite one with the Blade you have to glue on suits my fancy), and the Sybarite legs also are a much better pose, easy to develop a base for, and offer a lot more of a fluid stance for modeling, and a more...dominating stature. I suppose the legs that usually carries the heavy weapon might be useful if you want to feature him dodging an incoming blow, and the basic running forward set of legs would be useful if you want to show him charging into the fray.

I unfortunately don't have a picture of mine--it's several hundred miles away at the moment-- but a lot of our kits have standardized components, don't be afraid to experiment a bit!

If you do want a whip look in there, I prefer the sprue from the Wych kit.

If you don't want a helmet, for God's sake please don't use the head from the standard Archon kit. The poor half smirk thing looks like the Overlord enjoys taking regular swims in nervicide.

Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Archon model alternatives?    Archon model alternatives?  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20 2017, 09:27

Hi there,

Haven't assembled mine yet, but yeah I agree that the pose of the last model isn't great..

Luckily, you have a lot to work from our regular army : kabalite warriors, or more dynamism with Scourges / Wyches kits. I've even seen some conversion with some parts from Haemonculus sets (skin capes, etc.).

You can also take a look at warhammers elves (high / wood / dark)..

And here's a list of regulary used models for DE characters conversions :

• chaos sorcerer
  • dark elf dreadlord horns
  • Dark Elf Assassins/Shadowblades
  • Warmachine Nyss Executionners

Hope it'll helps

Archon model alternatives?  19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Archon model alternatives?  4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Archon model alternatives?    Archon model alternatives?  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20 2017, 09:56

I personally used Vlad Von Carstein

Archon model alternatives?  99800207003_VladvonCarsteinNEW01

I suppose it depends reallyt on whether you want dynamic or imposing.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
ZealousJ
Slave
ZealousJ

PostSubject: Re: Archon model alternatives?    Archon model alternatives?  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20 2017, 19:00

Thanks for the replies everyone, these are really detailed.

I was considering vlad myself oddly enough. You don't have a picture of your archon do you Squidmaster?
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

PostSubject: Re: Archon model alternatives?    Archon model alternatives?  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20 2017, 19:40

@Sslyth actually made the contemporary Archon work very well:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t15958-pain-and-absolution-a-new-kabal-in-the-making

I just used my favourite Kabalite Parts and a bunch of spikes:
Archon model alternatives?  I6aXCO1

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Archon model alternatives?    Archon model alternatives?  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21 2017, 13:16

ZealousJ wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone, these are really detailed.

I was considering vlad myself oddly enough. You don't have a picture of your archon do you Squidmaster?

I do indeed:

Archon model alternatives?  WaZzxxl

I used the body, smoothed dfown a few areas, used a Blood Dragon Kngith head,, an old Executioner sword and the old metal Archons claw.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Archon model alternatives?    Archon model alternatives?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Archon model alternatives?
Page 1 of 1