THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata

Go down 
+13
RedRegicide
Dark Elf Dave
|Meavar
Ikol
FuelDrop
Faitherun
lcfr
Count Adhemar
DEfan
TheBaconPope
amorrowlyday
Mppqlmd
krayd
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata Empty
PostSubject: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22 2017, 18:23

It's up.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/22/new-faqs-and-errata-for-the-astra-militarum-and-beyond-oct-22gw-homepage-post-1/

I'm wondering if maybe they nerfed commissars a bit *too* hard.

I'm also not sure that 'send in the next wave' should require reinforcement points, since (it is my understanding) that you spend CP to activate it.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22 2017, 18:35

Yep. Conscripts blobs are officially dead. It was about time.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22 2017, 18:40

Send in the next wave also creates an entirely new unit and this is imo just redundancy as the rules already provide this to be the case. It could have been FAQ instead of errata. I think it's interesting that this is the course GW took.
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22 2017, 19:38

No more conscript blobs, which is good, but I feel the nerf on Commissars was a tad bit extreme. I feel like having Lord Commissars keep the previous ability would be a nice compromise.
Back to top Go down
DEfan
Sybarite
DEfan

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22 2017, 20:09

The positives are that 8th really does feel more like a living, breathing game. It is clear that GWs play-testers try to get things right but lack the exploitation skills of gamers with a more competitive mentality. Morale seemed like it was going to be the great leveller of horde players, initially, but there were increasingly more ways to circumvent the results.

Hey, if the Guard players don't like their re-rolled result either, they can burn 2 CP.
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22 2017, 21:17

TheBaconPope wrote:
No more conscript blobs, which is good, but I feel the nerf on Commissars was a tad bit extreme. I feel like having Lord Commissars keep the previous ability would be a nice compromise.

I feel that there could have been better (and fluffier) ways to resolve the issue. Perhaps something like using the ability to kill a model and then double (or maybe even triple) the unit's LD for purposes of calculating fleeing models. That way it's useful, but still can't completely cancel out the effect of especially heavy losses.
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22 2017, 21:25

Quote :
I feel that there could have been better (and fluffier) ways to resolve the issue. Perhaps something like using the ability to kill a model and then double (or maybe even triple) the unit's LD for purposes of calculating fleeing models. That way it's useful, but still can't completely cancel out the effect particularly heavy losses.

Perhaps as the squad sufferers increasing losses, they have to execute more and more men to restore order? So the first time they fail a morale test, they remove one model, the second they remove two, and so on.
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22 2017, 22:58

TheBaconPope wrote:
Quote :
I feel that there could have been better (and fluffier) ways to resolve the issue. Perhaps something like using the ability to kill a model and then double (or maybe even triple) the unit's LD for purposes of calculating fleeing models. That way it's useful, but still can't completely cancel out the effect particularly heavy losses.

Perhaps as the squad sufferers increasing losses, they have to execute more and more men to restore order? So the first time they fail a morale test, they remove one model, the second they remove two, and so on.

Sounds like extra bookkeeping, in an edition that is already a bit high in the bookkeeping department (wounds, command pts, etc).
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 22 2017, 23:58

I'd have just had them reduce the casualties from a failed morale check by 50% (min 1). Still powerful but still leaves units open to morale losses from severe casualties.
Back to top Go down
lcfr
Sybarite
lcfr

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 01:43

Yeah this feels a bit TOO rough on Guard but hey, now we don't need to spend all our time figuring out how to deal with them.
Back to top Go down
Faitherun
Sybarite
Faitherun

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 01:51

I'd rather see this rule only apply to conscripts, while normal squads have the previous rule.
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 02:48

Fun concept: rather than a reroll, the Summery Execution just flat halves casualties from leadership, as the Commissar kills as many soldiers as necessary to convince them that fleeing isn't an option. Still a tangible benefit, but does not render the IG immune to Morale.
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 02:55

Another interesting concept: What if, instead of reducing casualties, Summery Execution allowed them to be transferred? Say, if your valuable veterans are looking like they're going to flee the Commissar can instead execute some nearby conscripts in order to remind them of the price of cowardice?

Something like: If a unit within 12" takes casualties due to leadership, those casualties can instead be inflicted on a squad within 6" of the Commissar.
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 03:01

Quote :
Something like: If a unit within 12" takes casualties due to leadership, those casualties can instead be inflicted on a squad within 6" of the Commissar.

That's..fascinating. I think I'll suggest that to my Guard friend for a house rule
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 03:35

I second the glorious Pope of Bacon in his assertation that this rule is both characterful and mechanically sound.
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 03:50

Smile
Glad people like it.
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 04:37

I can now kind of envision a scenario in which some Conscript blobs are marching up the board, with a Commisar roughly 5" behind, and any Heavy Weapons squads, or other more expensive models arrayed around the Commisar in a 8-12" semicircle, making a nice formation with actual mechanical purpose, everything protecting the Commisar by virtue of Character, the Conscripts acting as Meatshields for the Heavy stuff and a fair bit of board control resulting from the armoured march.
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 04:46

I can see it now.
It's a war movie scene. The heroic veteran squad we've been watching has just been shot up by a heavy weapons emplacement. The quirky guy, the big guy, the funny guy, and the quiet guy just got ripped to shreds. Sarge is barely holding the squad together, but they have to continue the mission, For the Emperor damnit! Behind them, the fresh-faced conscripts see the slaughter and decide to retire and become farmers. They turn to flee en mass, only to come face to face with the very unamused commissar. There’s a momentary pause and the scene switches to slow motion as he pulls out his pistol and calmly guns down a few of the fleeing whiteshields. The others, realizing that retreat is not an option, swallow their fear and advance upon the xenos menace.
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 04:58

Sweet writing!

You should drop fluff-text-blocks more often.
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 05:01

I shall endeavor to do so.
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 07:04

Jeah I also sometimes play some guard at the side, and the comissar nerf is over the top.
They needed something true, but now half the time having a comissar nearby is a penalty instead of a boon.
8+ dead guys means the comissar is always negative since another guy dies, since it is not optional you must reroll even though you cannot make the roll.
After that it drops down, but even with just 3 dead guys there is a 16% chance to increase the amount of dead people instead of reducing it.
Back to top Go down
Dark Elf Dave
Wych
Dark Elf Dave

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 09:23

I think it was completely broken before and now it will work much better. The fact is that guard were down as almost invulnerable which was simply wrong wrong wrong. I think the new rule is perfect as it is.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 09:27

TheBaconPope wrote:
Quote :

That's..fascinating. I think I'll suggest that to my Guard friend for a house rule

If I was your opponent I think I'd politely decline. Sorry, but if I put effort into attacking an expensive or dangerous squad and forced a morale test I'd be pretty peeved if you instead start removing 3 point Conscripts when that unit fails the test. I also can't really see the fluff justification for an elite unit passing a morale test because a nearby officer executed some nameless grunt whose only job is in fact to die anyway.
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 09:53

Dark Elf Dave wrote:
I think it was completely broken before and now it will work much better.  The fact is that guard were down as almost invulnerable which was simply wrong wrong wrong.  I think the new rule is perfect as it is.
You pay quite a few (for guardsmen terms) points and now there is almost as much chance it has a negative impact.
It was to much before I completely agree, but right now it has gone to far to the other side. The summary executioner is just a liability right now instead of the instand imba button from before.
3 dead: 16% you lose an extra guy, or the comissar made no difference.
4 dead 33%
5 dead 50%
6 dead 66%
7 dead 83%
8+ dead summary executioner is a liability.
I would rather have a comissar without it then with right now.

Back to top Go down
Dark Elf Dave
Wych
Dark Elf Dave

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 23 2017, 10:12

Maybe I am crazy but the more casualties you take the more scared your troops should be...and that is how morale should work for most units in the game.

Guard usually end up having a much greater number of CP than most other armies. Make them use them. If they want to keep that unit in the game make them burn 2 CP like all the rest of us have to. The Guard codex is very strong, I swear someone was drunk when they wrote it, they will do just fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata   Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Astra Millitarum FAQ/Errata
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next