THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Odd Ur-ghul Tactic   Odd Ur-ghul Tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2017, 02:37

So, this would be a very Costly tactic... for now (hopefully they get 10pts cheaper), also Ur-Ghul odding can have 6 attacks at S4, 3W's, 5++, Rerolls with Archon. So they fit 2 roles, 1 Anti-Horde, 2 Shut down (what we will talk about right now).

Importantly, they are single man characters
Refer to the Pic

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic UkqQNX5

The top brown circles are trash shooting units like, Tau-Fire Warriors/Drones, IG-Guardsman/Conscripts, Nids-Gants, etc... they are there to shoot and protect "important" units and this is where it gets odd.

The Orange Circles are Ur-Ghuls, Purple Triangles are Raiders/Venoms (with good units insides ofc) The Venom dropped off the Ur-ghuls.

The idea is to layer the Ur-ghuls in a way each unit can only shoot at one at a time making the not able to split fire, that means a full unit of 20-50 shots literally wastes all the shooting on 1 30pt model, if they DONT shoot any of them, then i will get 30 S4 attacks on the charge and i will just charge 1 unit with all of them to kill/hurt that 1 unit and only have 1 round of overwatch (as i would charge a vehicle 1st.

Its a costly idea, but its something i've been thinking about. I'll have an Archon in one of the Vehicles as well for some back up support and another character if i need too.

What do you think? Well besides it costing like 250pts for the 5man unit and the venom.
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ur-ghul Tactic   Odd Ur-ghul Tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2017, 03:09

I think this tactic is interesting, but I'm wondering if it might be better to use Sslyths instead. They're 14 points more expensive, but in return you're getting +2 Toughness, +1 Wound and a ranged attack - if you're mainly intending to use the cheap characters as a screen to draw enemy fire, that seems worth it.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ur-ghul Tactic   Odd Ur-ghul Tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2017, 03:12

Burnage wrote:
I think this tactic is interesting, but I'm wondering if it might be better to use Sslyths instead. They're 14 points more expensive, but in return you're getting +2 Toughness, +1 Wound and a ranged attack - if you're mainly intending to use the cheap characters as a screen to draw enemy fire, that seems worth it.

I'd rather use Sslyth, but they are just to costly for me, i;m hoping all court units get a bit cheaper, if Ssylths are 30pts i would so take them, i;m hoping they get a stratagem and become cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ur-ghul Tactic   Odd Ur-ghul Tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2017, 09:31

The advantage of Urghul is the psychological effect : they are trash, so no need to shoot them ^^
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ur-ghul Tactic   Odd Ur-ghul Tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2017, 09:54

Mppqlmd wrote:
The advantage of Urghul is the psychological effect : they are trash, so no need to shoot them ^^
Liked.

Though, to address Amish's strategy...

It reminds me, at least a little bit, of this Imperial list http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/08/40k-the-unstoppable-list-wgc2017.html built nearly entirely of characters, designed specifically to exploit the same "You 'can't target a Character unless it's the closest unit' which translates to 'must target the closest unit' if the only things in range are Characters." loophole that the Ur-Ghul system tries to exploit.
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ur-ghul Tactic   Odd Ur-ghul Tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2017, 09:57

Just needs a smart opponent to gun down three of them, split the extra firepower to the Raiders, and then charge the remaining Ur-Ghuls. Be interesting to see if people know Ur-Ghuls well enough to do that.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ur-ghul Tactic   Odd Ur-ghul Tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2017, 10:25

Ikol wrote:
Mppqlmd wrote:
Liked.

Though, to address Amish's strategy...

It reminds me, at least a little bit, of this Imperial list http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/08/40k-the-unstoppable-list-wgc2017.html built nearly entirely of characters, designed specifically to exploit the same "You 'can't target a Character unless it's the closest unit' which translates to 'must target the closest unit' if the only things in range are Characters." loophole that the Ur-Ghul system tries to exploit.

Yeah, something like that, but not that bad lol

Kantalla wrote:
Just needs a smart opponent to gun down three of them, split the extra firepower to the Raiders, and then charge the remaining Ur-Ghuls. Be interesting to see if people know Ur-Ghuls well enough to do that.

Yeah, it also depends on what i'm going against, the main idea is to waste an extreme amount of fire power in some shape or form, it might not work against everything, and if that is the case, i could walk them around to objectives or something else.

If you guys have other ideas let me know.
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ur-ghul Tactic   Odd Ur-ghul Tactic I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2017, 13:39

I ran a list consisting entirely of Aeldari Characters at one point early on in 8th (before the Ynnari detachment restriction). I think it had both Avatars, some Shadowseers, 3 Jetseers, a Troupe Master, a Solitaire and Drazhar (because I'd just gotten the pewter model). Fitted them all out into 2 of the HQ detachments, at any rate.

Trying to manipulate your opponent into firing only at what you want them to is fun and engaging, but borders on tedious and aggravating for your opponent. Use wisely, and always remember to bring a little placard that reads 'salt mine'. Set it up on their end of the table when they aren't looking for laughs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Odd Ur-ghul Tactic   Odd Ur-ghul Tactic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Odd Ur-ghul Tactic
Page 1 of 1