THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

I like Finecast

Go down 
+24
Count Adhemar
Scantily Clad
The Eye of Error
DominicJ
Rip
mot666
Cavash
The_Burning_Eye
lonewolf
Freezer
Archeonlotet
Ebonhart
Tanhausen
Local_Ork
Phototoxin
Preacher
Massaen
lululu_42
abjectus
fenrisnorth
Urien Rakarth
Gobsmakked
Evil Space Elves
Sky Serpent
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

I like Finecast - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2012, 11:44

I have two finecast purchases. The first is a Haemonculus, which while it has loads of flash (seriously, the entire frame had a thin layer of resin over it) the model itself was pretty much perfect with no bubbles. The gauntlet hand was missing a finger, but seeing as I plan on hacking that off and replacing it with a Splinter Pistol it's not too much of an issue for me.

The second is a box of Incubi which had no thin resin film at all. I've found a couple of bubbles, but they've all been minor and quite hidden. Bit of liquid greenstuff later and the problem is solved. Biggest problem I've had are the back spikes being slightly bent and the arms not quite fitting with the model. Will need to do some creative filing and gluing to sort that one out.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2012, 22:06

I like the definition on the models, but i'm really disappointed with the quality assurance, i ordered the 25th anniversary mini which, inevitably i guess, had half the shoulder pad missing. Can't fault their customer service though, didn't just send a replacement part, they sent an entire replacement model. Keep an eye out for the dodgy copy coming on a ravager base near you soon (probably in a later edition of the archon's challenge)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2012, 22:20

The detail included is good, but from my first finecast squad of Incubi I dread the thoughts of Resin. The models were more twisted than a Daemonette in a tumble-dryer and i found huge issues with the pieces being unable to fit together. I imagine once they have refined the casting techniques the models will come out with more consistancy.
However, seeing as I have only made one squad i will withold full judgement until my second squad.
I did prefer the Metal models, although resin doesn't break if you drop it, which is the only upsde that I have found so far.

I like Finecast - Page 2 YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
mot666
Kabalite Warrior
mot666

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19 2012, 06:35

i bought 10 wracks and hemonk when they first came out. a couple of small bubbles most in the boney back protrusions that i could find before i painted them, no probs green stuff. there a few tiny ones i can see now their base coated. look out for cavities tho, looks like a pin hole turns out to be a pin head when examined closer.

flares is flares. you get that, is a good sign too- means the moulds more likely to have been entirely filled. sharp blade is like hot knife through butter.

a few small unremarkable faults that youd even get with metal or plastic.

only bad thing was 2 vials fell off durning initial prep. glued. fixed.

i think they're a little too bendy in places. just have to be careful. Basketball

they survived the long unrelentingly hot summer here in south west oz.

there were a few chunks of strange pink rubbery silicone in crevases.

i love the sharp, crisp edges. eaasy as to clean up. my inner-child converter is getting all inspired at the ease finecast chops up...

my only real gripes the prices, but ive been playing since you could get 10 dollar lead characters or 3 troopers for 12 bucks. but lead was nightmare stuff sometimes.
ever seen a lead jain zarr? no you havent, they all broke they're ankles while doing their enormous hair. i might buy a finecast one now. or how many delicatly posed minis would snap off at the base?

tin(white metal) a huge improvement for 2-5bucks more... yet my entire gaming crew from my teens, as obsessed as they were, all quit cold turkey because of those few bucks.

im a metal man from way back, but so far im loving the fc models. and if you get a dud you get a free rreplacent and get to keep the mong one to butcher for bits.

oh and the marginal difference in weight... ive got 2500pt of 2nd ed eldar mostly lead/tin because there was no plastic/i wasnt a fan of 2nd ed plastic. its so heavy for such a small box...

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
Rip
Hellion
Rip

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 05 2012, 18:42

Sky Serpent wrote:

Anyone else have positive experiences?

Nothing but.

Well, apart from my Autarch's legs breaking at the ankles when I was pushing him into the slottabase.

It does irk me that slots don't fit properly without some shaving first.

But this is a small price to pay. I hated, HATED metal miniatures. I loathed superglue, which for me WOULD NOT SET. It seriously put me off buying a number of units and characters because of it.

Finecast has, for me, been a joy to work with. I haven't noticed any difference in the level of detail, but for me the ease of working with the material puts everything else into irrelevance. I've read a series of negative views and been unable to comprehend how anyone could see the move as anything but positive...but then every cast I've had has been perfect, so I may have missed the flawed first run.

Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue / Cult of the Thirsting Blade / The Architects of Flesh
Zahr-Tann Craftworld
Sa'cea Sept
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06 2013, 19:25

I like it.
Its so much better than the new metal (I cant remember lead that well), but has nothing on hard plastic.

Dont have much, just 5 Incubi. Didnt spot any flaws, one of the klaives seemed a bit warped, but it just required a bit of holding, if it was metal, it would have needed ages to pin, or some other serious work.

The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09 2013, 03:46

I personally love Finecast. Sure there's a bubble her sand there but fixing that is way easier than trying to fix mangled metal.

I've recently purchased 2 Heamonculi, Lelith, 2 Ur-ghuls, a Shadowseer and a Death Jester. All perfect castings

The detail is crisper, paint remains on them without chipping and they have a little more "bounce back" when dropped instead of shattering into pieces; especially with larger models like deamon princes. Plus they are perfect or custom conversions.

Scantily Clad
Slave
Scantily Clad

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 00:49

The Eye of Error wrote:
The detail is crisper, paint remains on them without chipping and they have a little more "bounce back" when dropped instead of shattering into pieces; especially with larger models like deamon princes. Plus they are perfect or custom conversions.

Completely agree with EoE, Finecsat is light years ahead of metal for me. I had numerous problems with early-release Necron characters, but my DE figs and Harlies have all been hassle-free.

The only real bugbear I have with FC models is that no matter how well I clean and prepare them, there is always at least one or two small spots where paint simply will not stick.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 15:07

Tanhausen wrote:
but yes, those Lhamean are nice! I got a couple, along with Urien, an archon and a medusa.

They had minor bubbles (a Lhamean had almost no foot, but it was easy to GS and it isnt a MAIN focus point when you pick up the model) but they are quite nice.

Posts like this confuse me. Can you name one other luxury consumer product where you would accept such a basic failure and just shrug it off, especially when paying through the nose for the privilege? If you bought a pair of earrings for your wife/girlfriend and one had a gemstone missing would you just ignore it? I'd take the product back straight away. So why not with Finecast? Not that any other manufacturer would ever get away with fobbing off such crap on their customers...

The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 15:20

Adhemar, in the grand scheme of resin model kits Finecast is excellent now that they've worked the kinks out.

I started building models 20yrs ago with resin Star Trek and Star Wars kits. They were a nightmare compared to any GW kit.

A lot of people that complain about fine cast are not modelers, they are gamers and are easily discouraged by trivial errors that really only take a few minutes to repair. And if a person can't use greenstuff and a hobby knife why the hell are they building GW models of any kind in the first place.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 15:32

My point is that there should not be any need to use a hobby knife and/or greenstuff to rectify manufacturing flaws in an expensive luxury good. You simply would not accept it from any other manufacturer!

The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 15:35

It's a model kit Adhemar.... you going to return it cause it's not preprinted and table top ready as well?

All model kits require some work. GW plastic kits need to be glued. Forgeworld kits need to sawed, cleaned, glued, sanded, puttied. Why should finecast be any different.

And I disagree with them being a luxury item. They are not that expensive compared to their metal counterparts.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 15:38

So if you bought a flat-pack piece of furniture and one of the panels was warped, mis-cut or otherwise faulty you'd accept that? If you bought a car and the windscreen didn't fit and a wheel was missing you'd be happy? I wouldn't.

The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 15:42

Adhemar, just stop with your negativity. You're not proving a point to anyone or winning a debate.

This thread is about positive Finecast experiences. Not more of the same old tiring, boring fine cast bashing.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 15:46

Fair enough. As I have little or no positive Finecast experience I will bow out. Although the fact that you feel you need a thread dedicated to pointing out the positives in the product speaks volumes in itself.

DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 20:37

Count Adhemar wrote:
So if you bought a flat-pack piece of furniture and one of the panels was warped, mis-cut or otherwise faulty you'd accept that? If you bought a car and the windscreen didn't fit and a wheel was missing you'd be happy? I wouldn't.

Of course I'd return that, but if a screw hole was misaligned, or too narrow, or not deep enough?

99% of FineCast faults are repairable with a little thought and effort.

As I said, it has nothing on hard plastic, but its orders better than metal.

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 20:41

See, I don't agree with all the negativity towards it. It was absolutely terrible in the early days but I would by no means say it was better than metal. Not once did I have something made from metal from GW that was warped or twisted beyond repair but this has happened on a couple occassions with Finescast.
It's not bad when I get a good box of Finecast, I just don't want to be stalled by not having the quality that I'd like. This doesn't happen all the time (I think the detail's crisper than metal) but it shouldn't happen as often as it does.

Back to top Go down
redwulfe
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10 2013, 20:49

Personally, I have enjoyed my experience with the few fine cast kits I have purchased. The softness of the resin combined with the ease at wich it can be bent or shaped has made some of my converting much easier. Even when the kit was unrepairable GW replaced it with little hassle.

Red
Back to top Go down
darthken239
Kabalite Warrior
darthken239

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20 2013, 03:24

finecrap BAH the first time i bought finecrap was a box of wracks. ended up having to open up 4 boxes in total just to get 5 models that were acceptable.

so a 25% success rate all up. i personally didn't think that was good enough from a company as big as GW.

been wary of it ever since, but at least the store owner, allows us to open up any finecast stuff now for a pre sales check

and i do agree it is easy to mold and convert.
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22 2013, 07:05

The only Finecast models where I've had problems of note were Incubi, and the replacements were close enough to perfect to be easily usable. I avoided buying metals when possible because I don't like to work with it. I don't have the same problem with Finecast.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
infamousme
Hellion
infamousme

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2013, 02:38

had an issue with my tau battlesuit commander...... GW sent me a new one in worse condition than the 1st....Gw then sent me a 3rd one in perfect condition. I now have a battlesuit commander with two other battlesuit commanders as his bodyguard unit. So I like finecast when it is paired with GW's excellent customer service Smile
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2013, 04:46

The newer batches are world apart from the first horrible releases...

I have the new sniper and spirit seer models here and they are A1 perfect

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2013, 21:07

I must agree, Massaen.

I picked up an Autarch and some Rangers on Saturday and I have not had a large issue with them! The only problem was that one Ranger's rifle was slightly bent, but that can be easily rectified. There were no air bubbles or anything terrible as with previous purchases.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I like Finecast   I like Finecast - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I like Finecast
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2