THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

tantalus??

Go down 
+10
Gorefather
Barrywise
Vindicavi
DevilDoll
Count Adhemar
URIEN
SushiBoy013
DOGGED
dumpeal
Lord Xelian
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Xelian
Hellion
Lord Xelian

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18 2018, 18:38

hi guys, i am thinking on buy tantalus or reaper that are 2 DE vehicles from forge world, dp ypu know how strong they are or what abilities they have? i don't know if it is worth or not to buy them ty
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18 2018, 19:30

Reapers are very good, but not always allowed in tournaments
Back to top Go down
DOGGED
Hellion
DOGGED

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18 2018, 21:24

Reapers are great and the price of a Ravager; their firepower is awesome both against any infantry kind and antitank or against multiwound targets, even high R. The "shock" bonus to its gun is wonderful too.

Tantalus is also very good because of great anti infantry (guard or tacmarines) and antitank firepower and better than standard transport capability, paired with higher mobility. Also it is strong enough as to charge it into HtH and boosts leadership.

IMHO:

Reapers can be a must both against armour and infantry (the definitive horde stoppers?).

Tantalus are so pretty and good enough that their possibilities and their beautiful design largely justify having it. It's our centerpiece model.

P.S.: In those tourneys where Reapers are not allowed, they could "count as" Ravagers, couldn't they?
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18 2018, 22:46

DOGGED wrote:
Reapers are great and the price of a Ravager; their firepower is awesome both against any infantry kind and antitank or against multiwound targets, even high R. The "shock" bonus to its gun is wonderful too.

Tantalus is also very good because of great anti infantry (guard or tacmarines) and antitank firepower and better than standard transport capability, paired with higher mobility. Also it is strong enough as to charge it into HtH and boosts leadership.

IMHO:

Reapers can be a must both against armour and infantry (the definitive horde stoppers?).

Tantalus are so pretty and good enough that their possibilities and their beautiful design largely justify having it. It's our centerpiece model.

P.S.: In those tourneys where Reapers are not allowed, they could "count as" Ravagers, couldn't they?

Depend on the level of WYSIWYG needed.
Back to top Go down
SushiBoy013
Sybarite
SushiBoy013

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19 2018, 00:56

Hi friend...if you haven't done it yet, I would suggest downloading the Battlescribe app. It contains the point values for all models including reaper and tanatalus. Free app.
Back to top Go down
URIEN
Kabalite Warrior
URIEN

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19 2018, 12:10

I have a Tantalus and 2 Reapers. The Tantalus basically goes in any of my lists. The pulse desintegrators are perfect against anything with more than one wound. Be it Term's, making them rely on invul's like they used too, or tanks. I've had a great experience using it and certainly recommend it, for both in game and just the beauty of the model.

Reapers are also great, as stated their dual weapon profile offers a good range of targets. Compared to a Ravager they are better, more wounds, attacks in combat and potential DL equivalent shots. Though getting that unlucky 1 for its number of shots is a bit naff', which is why I normally save the one re-roll in the shooting phase just for that. But the potential of 6 DL shots is brilliant.

Personally the Tantalus is the better option overall.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19 2018, 12:19

Tantalus has the added bonus of being able to carry Scourges and Hellions (until FW gets around to a FAQ).
Back to top Go down
DevilDoll
Wych
DevilDoll

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19 2018, 16:19

I just love the tantalus has been in all my lists since i got it, the model is simply beautiful, it has amazing firepower, can move anywhere (32 move if it advances) and still shoot (assault weapons), has decent survivability and the ability to carry alot of troops for extra firepower. Even with the recent nerf to its points (400 from 350) id still recomend it...
Back to top Go down
Lord Xelian
Hellion
Lord Xelian

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 19 2018, 18:57

mmm ty to all guys, i think i will buy the tantalus, it is really good looking drunken drunken drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
DOGGED
Hellion
DOGGED

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20 2018, 16:50

A last word on them, the Tantalus is known for having somewhat warped pieces that must be straightened when building it to a perfect fit because of the laser cut metal floors.

The Reaper is just a plastic Raider with resin parts which are more easily straightened being smaller than those from the Tantalus.

There are many threads on it, IIRC there is at least one whjich is very informative here on this forum but I can't look for it now, I'm in a hurry. I'll go looking for it later when I have the time.
Back to top Go down
Vindicavi
Kabalite Warrior
Vindicavi

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20 2018, 21:10

I recently got a Tantalus, its a beautiful model and very good from the times I've played it, the fire power is good and the transport capacity makes it useful too.
Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Wych
Barrywise

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 20 2018, 23:15

https://www.facebook.com/DarkMoonKabal/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1672003709681962

Here friend, I literally just built my tantalus a month or so ago and this was by far and away the best guide that I could find for it. Every picture the guy puts up has a comment describing what he's doing and why. Before the Tantalus I've only truly finished the start collecting box and 2 venoms as a hobbyist. After looking at the Tantalus, seeing how warped and messy the casts were I became extremely downcast at the huge amount of work I had ahead of me.

Coming out of it now, I'm about 20 hours of work in on the Tantalus and I've loved every second of it. I'm 10x the hobbyist I was before. I'd recommend having an exacto knife, either green/white stuff (toothpicks to apply white stuff to small areas), rough grit and fine grit sandpaper. (at least 300 grit for the fine). A bunch of glue(obviously) for all the parts. a Hand drill if you intend on magnetizing the sail. Along with the magnets of course. Spray paint/airbrush for covering large portions of the model. Packing Tape for dry fits(see guide^) and lastly a hairdryer. Some people boil their resin bits and then remodel them, I found it much easier to use a hairdryer to be much gentler and more precise for smoothing pieces out.

so to summarize you will need:
-Clippers, normal and heavy duty for brass/thick parts
-Glue
-Tape
-Hairdryer
-White/green stuff
-Exacto knife/blade
-Sandpaper
-Magnets for sail,
-Etc. can't think off the top of my head that well

For lessons I learned putting it together:
1) some of the pieces(engines) have slots to help align them on the back of the ship, make sure when cutting them out that you don't cut those pieces off (WHOOPS)
2) Don't cut the little ring where the sail connects to the ship, makes magnetizing it much harder (WHOOPS)
3) Filling in the gap of the Sail is much smoother with green stuff rather than white stuff. (WHOOPS)
4) Heating some pieces and using a book to make sure its flat seems like a good idea but will flatten any raised areas like the spines on the sail (WHOOPS)
5) The guide mentions it, make sure that you dry fit everything before you start gluing, make a checklist of stuff you need to check to fit before hand if needed. Also, its possible to spray the pieces with masking tape over the parts that are going to be glued. makes life and priming a helluva lot easier (White stuff filled any mistakes for me.)
6) The bridge that connects the front of the ship to the sail is one of the worst fitting pieces I have ever come across, don't sweat it, get it as close to proper shape as possible, glue that bad boi in there and then plug the gaps and sand baby sand!.
7) Don't lose your effing spikes(lost 1, whoops)

Best of luck! Look up examples online for how people painted theirs! I'll have mine finished soon (hopefully)
Back to top Go down
Gorefather
Hellion
Gorefather

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 21 2018, 06:08

I enjoy them both, though the points increase on the Tantalus (from Chapter Approved) makes it a bit harder to squeeze into lists.

I like to run the Reaper flanked by two Disintegrator Ravagers, they're very nice at scaring off anything trying to force the Reaper to move away and suffer the hit penalty. It's a lot of potential damage output as long as you roll well for the storm vortex.

The Tantalus tends to be more of a showpiece than an efficient weapon, but it's still nice to throw a ton of Blasters into it and start melting through the board. Maybe when the codex drops and we get a vehicle deepstrike stratagem, a surprise Tantalus would be more effective but right now it seems that it just gets shot off the board too quickly.
Back to top Go down
Clothar
Slave
Clothar

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 21 2018, 23:32

I'm surprised so many find the Tantalus a more effective weapon than a Reaper. I feel as though your local metas must be much more casual. If I put the Tantalus on the table it's either dead or down to a couple wounds on turn 1. The Reaper meanwhile puts out way more work on average, I generally run two along with a Dissie Ravager. There's nothing more satisfying than rolling a 5 or 6 shot beam weapon and blowing up a Wave Serpent.

I'm with Gorefather that the Tantalus is a swag piece. I put mine on the table when I want to show off, not if I want to win.
Back to top Go down
DevilDoll
Wych
DevilDoll

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22 2018, 09:25

Barrywise wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/DarkMoonKabal/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1672003709681962

Here friend, I literally just built my tantalus a month or so ago and this was by far and away the best guide that I could find for it. Every picture the guy puts up has a comment describing what he's doing and why. Before the Tantalus I've only truly finished the start collecting box and 2 venoms as a hobbyist. After looking at the Tantalus, seeing how warped and messy the casts were I became extremely downcast at the huge amount of work I had ahead of me.

Coming out of it now, I'm about 20 hours of work in on the Tantalus and I've loved every second of it. I'm 10x the hobbyist I was before. I'd recommend having an exacto knife, either green/white stuff (toothpicks to apply white stuff to small areas), rough grit and fine grit sandpaper. (at least 300 grit for the fine). A bunch of glue(obviously) for all the parts. a Hand drill if you intend on magnetizing the sail. Along with the magnets of course. Spray paint/airbrush for covering large portions of the model. Packing Tape for dry fits(see guide^) and lastly a hairdryer. Some people boil their resin bits and then remodel them, I found it much easier to use a hairdryer to be much gentler and more precise for smoothing pieces out.

-Glue
-Tape
-Hairdryer
-White/green stuff
-Exacto knife/blade
-Sandpaper
-Magnets for sail,

1) some of the pieces(engines) have slots to help align them on the back of the ship, make sure when cutting them out that you don't cut those pieces off (WHOOPS)
2) Don't cut the little ring where the sail connects to the ship, makes magnetizing it much harder (WHOOPS)
3) Filling in the gap of the Sail is much smoother with green stuff rather than white stuff. (WHOOPS)
4) Heating some pieces and using a book to make sure its flat seems like a good idea but will flatten any raised areas like the spines on the sail (WHOOPS)
5) The guide mentions it, make sure that you dry fit everything before you start gluing, make a checklist of stuff you need to check to fit before hand if needed. Also, its possible to spray the pieces with masking tape over the parts that are going to be glued. makes life and priming a helluva lot easier (White stuff filled any mistakes for me.)
6) The bridge that connects the front of the ship to the sail is one of the worst fitting pieces I have ever come across, don't sweat it, get it as close to proper shape as possible, glue that bad boi in there and then plug the gaps and sand baby sand!.

Best of luck! Look up examples online for how people painted theirs! I'll have mine finished soon (hopefully)

wish i had seen your guide before i build mine, it came out fine but it was by FAAAAAAR the most frustrating thing i have ever done regarding modelling

BTW its the first and last time i buy anything from forgeworld, these guys suck balls their products cost a fortune and their service and quality are crap (my tantalus came in a box without any protection and many pieces were broken). I have never ever seen more bent and twisted plastic in my life and its a nightmare to put crap together and glue them. Its amazing people still buy from these people...
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22 2018, 11:24

It's an awesome piece of kit, good at anti tank and anti infantry.
Building it is a pain in the backside though, the worst bit on mine was getting the curved hand rail pieces at the back to look right, I had to heat it up with a hair dryer and hold it all in position until it cooled down.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22 2018, 14:28

Love them both, but if you had to only get one? Well i would get the Tantalus b.c a Reaper is easily converted. BUT the Reaper i fill is much more useful and will be played more.
Back to top Go down
Lord Xelian
Hellion
Lord Xelian

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22 2018, 18:51

tantalus?? 110
Tantalus in coming Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lord Xelian
Hellion
Lord Xelian

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22 2018, 19:33

Barrywise wrote:

-Glue
-Tape
-Hairdryer
-White/green stuff
-Exacto knife/blade
-Sandpaper
-Magnets for sail,

TY to all for replies, you really helped me in the choice and with that guide you will really help me in building it! love you guys
Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Wych
Barrywise

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 23 2018, 05:51

DevilDoll wrote:

wish i had seen your guide before i build mine, it came out fine but it was by FAAAAAAR the most frustrating thing i have ever done regarding modelling

BTW its the first and last time i buy anything from forgeworld, these guys suck balls their products cost a fortune and their service and quality are crap (my tantalus came in a box without any protection and many pieces were broken). I have never ever seen more bent and twisted plastic in my life and its a nightmare to put crap together and glue them. Its amazing people still buy from these people...

Ah, I wish that was my guide, that dude put 3 Tantalus together. That's a crazy amount of time, money and effort! And yeah, as someone who had previously only used GW miniatures, my expectations for Forge World were sky high, because I've always heard people talk about how cool their minis are. I expected GW quality casts, and these were 2-3 levels of quality below that.

That being said, it truly did make me become a better hobbyist and I finally got around to buying many hobby supplies that I had been putting off.
Back to top Go down
Archon Teneshar
Slave
Archon Teneshar

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24 2018, 15:17

I would love to get a Tantalus, but my wallet cannot afford the damage that it would take when I ruined it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

tantalus?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: tantalus??   tantalus?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tantalus??
Page 1 of 1