THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)

Go down 
+6
Lord Asvaldir
Ephieites
RedRegicide
Korazell
clively
Thule
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Thule
Slave
Thule

Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30 2018, 17:06

Hello fellow archons.

With the announcement oft the new codex I guessed it’s the right time to start a new army or rather repaint my existing force. The main goal is a completely painted army, at best in a consistent look Razz While time passed in 7th I changed my colour schemes twice but I’m still unhappy with the current scheme (Kabal oft he Black Heart).

As a quiet observer in this forum a collected a huge amount of inspiration from the other plogs here. Some of you may recognize some models I  showed at Dakkdakka (SoaJ). These will be repainted once i figured out the final colour scheme incl. style of bases. The main colour of the new (and hopefully last) scheme will be a metallic dark green/turquoise.

Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2012
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2013

For test purposes I stripped my Incubi and repainted them. They are more colourful than intended but I’m pleased with it because they are elite. Lower models will get a paler/colder scheme.

For the bases I thought of black marble or something like that. I imagine my Dark Elda rare invading an imperial palace or so but I need to test it. But maybe some 'outdoor' base works still better…

That’s it for the beginning. Feel free to comment and criticize Wink

Sybarite
clively

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30 2018, 18:06

I like it. The glow on the klaives is pretty cool.

Speaking of which - where did the klaives come from on the bottom two? I don't recognize those.

Sybarite
Korazell

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30 2018, 20:01

The bottom two klaives I believe are from the woof elf rangers, if I had to guess...

Anyway, about the incubi...I think they're gorgeous, really, the color contrast makes them super interesting and I think the best part is how they are painted it should be easy to tell that they are striking even from a distance. Good, clean, incredibly solid.

" Your suffering will be legendary. It will make the dead, long forgotten in our dear Commorragh, rattle in their graves as your agony touches them even from the beyond. I will record each scream, each gurgle, each cry and it will be my sweetest lullaby. The tears you spill will be collected and I will savor them like fine drink for years to come. The blood you spill will be used to feed my house-plants, and your flesh I will feed to the Razorwing flocks. Your bones I will keep and fashion into my clothes like a medal awarded for reaching the highest plateau of torture. You will never steal my sandwych again!"
Back to top Go down
Thule
Slave
Thule

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01 2018, 15:58

Hey,
thank you for the kind words. Korazell is right about the bottom klaives. The models were once called wild wood rangers, don't know the current name Razz These incubi were some kind of an adventure to build. I got them boxed as new, metal models, but when I opend them first one klaive was missing. Instead there was the impaler of Lelith Hesparex inside... Luckily a friend of mine gave me the rest of his fincast incubi. Most of them were exploitet for conversions but the missing klaive was untouched,  Smile Now I got one metal and one finecast klaive for the bottom two. Long story short both broke off, no finecast bitz left and then I found the swords shown on the picture. At least they are not that fragile anymore.

Some words about the painting. I wanted a cool scheme which isn't that common but easy to paint. Basicly its a silver base colour followed by a blue and a green wash, all done with airbrush. The paints I used are more unusal, some may say heretic: GWs Drakenhof Nightshade and Coelia Greenshade. By the way the klaives were airbrushed with Nihilak Oxide.

Meanwhile the incubi are finished and I had to solve my basing problem. Black or green marble (or something completely different)? Therefore I painted a few bases and these are the two best results:
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2014
Spoiler:

I like both and each got its benefits. The green one looks warmer but there's a lot of green. Don't know if that could work with e.g. kabalites which will be less colourful. The balck one enhances the contrast, especially the klaives pop out some more. But the model looks a lot colder. I would like to here some opinions to that Smile Oh, and I will put them on 32mm bases. The old 25mm are just too small...

Because I suffer from (hobby) procrastination I began painting new miniatures before the first were completely done Wink Here's a little teaser what will come next Smile
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2019

Wych
RedRegicide

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01 2018, 16:18

is that the OG warp beast? It looks so cool

Slave
Ephieites

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01 2018, 20:03

They look amazing!
I like the black marble a bit better but they are both great Smile

Korazell
Sybarite
Korazell

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02 2018, 22:16

Both are great, confirmed!

" Your suffering will be legendary. It will make the dead, long forgotten in our dear Commorragh, rattle in their graves as your agony touches them even from the beyond. I will record each scream, each gurgle, each cry and it will be my sweetest lullaby. The tears you spill will be collected and I will savor them like fine drink for years to come. The blood you spill will be used to feed my house-plants, and your flesh I will feed to the Razorwing flocks. Your bones I will keep and fashion into my clothes like a medal awarded for reaching the highest plateau of torture. You will never steal my sandwych again!"
Back to top Go down
Thule
Slave
Thule

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13 2018, 20:35

Heyho,
thank you for the responds. I did some kind of survey about the base question and the result was clear (~60% for green marble). But that result didn't help me anyhow. The bases would be to flat and to uniform, plus for e.g. flyers it would be a bit illogical... That's why I skipped the idea and put my incubi on some rocky bases I had left. With some rust pigments I wanted to create a strong contrast to the models. It is not that innovative but it works Smile
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2020
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2021

With that, the first five models are finished.

@RedRegicide: These are the barghest models by puppetswar. I love them Very Happy They're a good and cheaper alternative for khymaeras.
The khymaeras are more or less done. Again just the bases are missing xD Pictures will follow.

Hekatrix
Lord Asvaldir

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13 2018, 21:04

O man those are some sweet, sweet looking incubi, makes me wish I had some. How did you get that nice glow on their klaives?

Sybarite
Korazell

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13 2018, 21:21

I'd imagine it's white base coated with some light washing of oxide?

Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14 2018, 10:13

Those do look fantastic.
Kudos.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Thule
Slave
Thule

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22 2018, 21:18

Hey, thank you guys Smile

@Lord Asvaldir: Korazell is right. Basecoat of white grey and then Nihilakh Oxide applied with airbrush. Highlights with white grey again and white. I think it makes a difference wether you wash or airbrush the oxide. Through airbrush it appears somehow glowing Smile

The Khymerae are finished. The paintjob was simple and done in about a hour or two. What took so long were the bases again. Painted and repainted them until I finally found a recipe for the bases.
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2028
Spoiler:

The next models on the table will be some Kabalites:
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2023

C&C welcome Wink

Slave
Thule

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeSat May 05 2018, 22:07

Hey,
after I made some little progress on the kabalites I spontaneously picked up two old venoms and repainted them. The paintjob for both took about as much time as it would take me to paint a single kabalite...
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2032
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2030
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2031

Maybe I should paint infantry in smaller blocks to keep me motivated painting them... xD

Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeSat May 05 2018, 22:17

Those Venoms look absolutely incredible! Are they airbrushed?
Back to top Go down
wormfromhell
Sybarite
wormfromhell

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeSat May 05 2018, 23:46

Oh my my! The venoms! That crisp finish is stunning!

DISCLAIMER - I will not be liable for assassinations, gang warfare, murders, turf disputes, drug &/or weapon theft, petty theft, torture or any other actions. If you have any problems, you can take it up with my Incubi.

PLOG- Ghosts of the Webway
Back to top Go down
Thule
Slave
Thule

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2018, 20:59

Hi, thanks to you Very Happy

yes, they are mostly airbrushed. First a metallic base coat and then blue and green washes. Applied by paintbrush the result wouldn't be that flat.

I reduced the kabalites on my painting table down to 5 but while I was painting them I accidently finished my archon xD It's a small conversion I made last year and stripped him to repaint him. He's my favorite archon conversion (there are another three archons, which will be repaint somday).

Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2034
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2033
He doesn't need weapons to kill anyone Wink

In case I'll be unable to fnish these kabalites, there's another model waiting in line Smile The base is already finished...
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2035

Hope you like it, C&C as always welcome!

Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2018, 21:20

That archon looks pretty good. Who needs blast pistols when you've got three Ravagers nearby doing all the shooting? The Incubi are neat too.

One thing I'd suggest is to do a very thin highlight on the upper edges of the armour to really make it pop. In my experience, airbrush alone doesn't work as well as airbrush with a few magic touches from a brush.

Thule
Slave
Thule

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2018, 22:02

Hey Siticus, thanks for the advice! When I tested the color scheme I had a step where I did some edgehighlighting before the final layer of wash. But the result wasn't that good so I skipped that step. I see your point and you're right, the armour looks a bit flat... I guess I have to do some testing again xD

Slave
Thule

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeSat May 19 2018, 08:39

Hello fellow archons,

still there is now progress in painting the 5 kabalites... As expected I was able to finish the RJF xD Stille without edgehighlighting but I guess I keep it that way, except I find a way/colour to add them to the already painted models.
Also I tried do do some tribals with selfmade stencils. Well I should have taken not the cheapest adhesive tape but the mistakes are not that visible on arm's length. All in all I like the result but the colours of tribals and canopy.
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2036
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2037
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2039
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2038

Let me know what you think Wink

Slave
Thule

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22 2018, 15:22

Well, after more than a month I got something new to show you. Decided, to make a "low cost" Reaper conversion out of a Raider kit. The Raider was already build an partly painted in an old scheme.
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2012
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2011
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2010

The sail is made of plastic card and wasn't as much difficult as I thought. The gun and the engine were made of a Wraithknights wraithcannon. So I can go for a second Reaper if I get the next Raider kit Smile Everything is magnetized so I can switch between both. I decided to use the Raider kit over the Ravager because of stability issues with the sponsons of the Ravager.

Hope you like it, can't wait to paint it. As it turns out, the sail is smaller than the regular model and the gun might be shorter too. But that's not that big of a deal since I don't play on tournaments Wink

Sybarite
clively

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26 2018, 18:47

I really like the reaper conversion. I may end up building some sails out of Plasticard to replace the sails that came with FW’s kit.

Slave
Thule

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31 2018, 16:05

Wow, forgot to post my progress all the time... And there was some in July^^

First of all there is my reaper conversion. I wanted to try something new and added some lightnings on the weapon. The result was better than expected and I started to add a freehand rune on the sail since there are no decals big enough Smile
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2024
Spoiler:

Also I managed to paint the incredable amount of 10(!) kabalites just in 2,5 months!
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2016

A second archon (again without any weapons xD):
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2019

Spoiler:

And two ravagers are also done. Again I practiced some freehands/lightnings.
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2021
Spoiler:

Group shot of my kabal stuff so far:
Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) Img_2025

Of course more kabalites are planned but first I want to finish a small wych cult detatchment Smile

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)   Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the evil space elves (proper name will follow)
Page 1 of 1