THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Yet another Webway Portal

Go down 
+4
Gobsmakked
Evil Space Elves
Angrypeasant
Archon Zarkalus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Archon Zarkalus
Hellion
Archon Zarkalus

Yet another Webway Portal Empty
PostSubject: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 19:23

Well... I decided to give it a try to make my own webway portal marker.

Yet another Webway Portal WebwayPortal

The dome is actually half of a "make your own" Christmas ornament that my wife showed me at a local craft store. I trimmed off a small plastic tag and filed it down.

I primed it black and let it dry.

The second layer was Chaos Black brushed approx. 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.

The third layer was Mordian Blue mixed with a little Chaos Black. The 3rd layer was added while the 2nd was still a little damp. This allowed me to blend the colors a little more. I used a large brush with a "swirling action" to also make what looks like clouds.

I slowly added more Mordian Blue as I moved up the dome. At the top, I added Shadow Grey to Mordian Blue to finish it out. This is a dark scheme and I might try another with a lighter paint scheme.

The city-scape was done with a mix of Chaos Black and Liche Purple. Once the buildings were dry, I went back with Chaos Black and added some vertical streaks to "shade" the building.

Once all this was dry, I used a blend of Shadow Grey, Codex Grey and Chaos Black to make the cloud effects around the bottom... It also worked to cover up the lack of ground work.

The last part was to paint the lightning effects on the sphere.

All in all... I am very happy with the results. As I previously said... I might try to make another one with lighter tones.

SO? What do you think?

Angrypeasant
Hellion
Angrypeasant

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 19:47

I like it!

The city scape that kind of bleeds through it a really nice effect. Maybe for your next one, you could try the blurry image of a Dark Eldar Silhouette (or a squad!)

Skaven Blog
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 19:55

I'm really pissed about dropping more than I'd care to admit on two WWP's on Ebay:Those look awesome! Nice work my friend.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 20:16

That looks awesome, great job!

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
torg
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 20:56

whats the dia. on this? I would like to make one... if its the right size of course... is it 3"?

-d
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 21:09

Yep, 3". Check out tutorials, there is one about WWP.
Back to top Go down
SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 21:25

Looks great!
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
Archon Zarkalus
Hellion
Archon Zarkalus

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 21:54

The diameter is 3". It took a while looking through the store but I was glad I found it. I bought 3 packs of the ornaments. That equates to 6 webway portals.

I am currently in the process of making a second portal... like I previously said... I am using lighter shades of the colors.

Angrypeasant...

I am trying out the idea of having the image of a warrior approaching the portal.

Hopefully, I will post the finished product later.

Evil Space Elves...

The ornaments were roughly $1.15 ea. So equates to roughly $ 0.58 ea. YEAH!!! Can't beat that!!

Angrypeasant
Hellion
Angrypeasant

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 22:25

I am excited to see what you come up with with the warrior shadows.

I imagine that maybe sticking a model in front of a desk lamp and seeing how the shadows play out could help, but who knows...
Back to top Go down
torg
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 22:29

awesome - I will have to head down to the local stores to see if I can find some!...

-d
Back to top Go down
Archon Zarkalus
Hellion
Archon Zarkalus

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23 2011, 00:15

Well.. as promised here is a pic of the second webway portal....

Yet another Webway Portal Webway_2

The pic shows the lighter tones in the sky.

You can see the distant city and also the squad of warriors walking towards the portal.

I did more lightning effects as-well-as a Razorwing in the upper-left corner.

Let me know what you think...

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23 2011, 00:53

NICE! Well done.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Angrypeasant
Hellion
Angrypeasant

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23 2011, 04:06

I really like it, great job. You did a nice job capturing the shadows of the warriors inside of the WWP

Skaven Blog
Back to top Go down
Archon Zarkalus
Hellion
Archon Zarkalus

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23 2011, 12:39

I'm glad you like the portals.

I saw other portals that people were posting and I had to try....

Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 24 2011, 03:34

Very cool! I did a very similar thing myself. There's a thread about it somewhere here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet another Webway Portal   Yet another Webway Portal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yet another Webway Portal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: