THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

London GT: How was it, how'd we do?

Go down 
+14
hekatrixxy
Trueborn
Squidmaster
sekac
colinsherlow
Myrvn
TeenageAngst
Siticus the Ancient
Midnight_Fox
withershadow
amishprn86
Count Adhemar
Burnage
TheBaconPope
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
nerdelemental
Kabalite Warrior
nerdelemental

London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23 2018, 13:34

Anyone know how many players they had in the main tournament?
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior
hekatrixxy

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23 2018, 13:48

There were just over 360 players total that showed up in the BCP app.

That is a fair point that greed doesn't just mean with regards to money. The complaints I have read/heard have been specifically regarding the money though. I do agree that in this case there has been a case of greed towards growing more quickly than they were prepared to handle. The organiser fully admits this though in the podcast I linked to.

The original planned size for the 40k GT was 200 people, which sold out in under a week. There was consistent demand for more tickets from a lot of people after that, which prompted the organisers to find a way to meet the demand. There is some talk of different possible solutions about how this large demand can be handled going forward.

Yes I agree the quality of the terrain was a bit rubbish, but at least in my personal experience over the weekend, it didn't prevent me having some good games with my opponents. Would some cool terrain like they had for the 40k narrative made it even better? Of course!

Also, despite the ban on bringing in food and water, I brought in two bottles of water no problem on the second day. The security wasn't particularly thorough, making me think what was the point in the first place. After being told I couldn't bring in my water, I literally packed it out of sight in to my bags right in front of the security desk area, got my bags "checked" and then walked in to the venue.

As I mentioned on an earlier post, this was my first time at a tournament. Others have mentioned that there are loads of other good ones in the UK. Mind telling me what they are, in particular ones that aren't too far to get to from London?

Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23 2018, 14:09

hekatrixxy wrote:
As I mentioned on an earlier post, this was my first time at a tournament. Others have mentioned that there are loads of other good ones in the UK. Mind telling me what they are, in particular ones that aren't too far to get to from London?

There's obviously the GW-run events in Nottingham. Blood and Glory was also excellent last year, it's in Derby in November. Getting a bit further afield you've got Element Games' Caledonian Revolution and The North West Open.

None of them have the name recognition of the London GT, but they all make for a pretty good weekend of wargaming.
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior
hekatrixxy

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23 2018, 20:17

Thanks! I'm not fussed about name recognition, just having a fun weekend that challenges me as a player. I'll check out the ones you mentioned. I occasionally listen to the Caledonian Deathwatch Radio podcast as well so I'll listen out for their next events. One of my colleagues is actually friends with the owner of Element Games, I'll have to see if he can score me a discount ticket to one of their events!

Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24 2018, 10:32

hekatrixxy wrote:
Mind telling me what they are, in particular ones that aren't too far to get to from London?

*cough*
https://www.facebook.com/events/2053230248258229/

Sorry. Its the one I run. We like to keep things pretty casual.
I'd also recommend the Confrontation events run in Havant.

I went looking for the final results to see exactly how many were there.

All I found was that 350 tickets were available for 40k. No idea about the systems.
I also found several people complaining that their gamer scores were wrong, but thats normal.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Muffi88
Hellion
Muffi88

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25 2018, 11:33

In germany the consesus is that custodes jetbikes are at least OP if not undercosted by more than 50%. I don't understand why online it seems like people find them lackluster, for 90 points you get a highly mobile melee unit with hordeclearing weapons that is tough as nails.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25 2018, 17:27

Muffi88 wrote:
In germany the consesus is that custodes jetbikes are at least OP if not undercosted by more than 50%. I don't understand why online it seems like people find them lackluster, for 90 points you get a highly mobile melee unit with hordeclearing weapons that is tough as nails.

They are good for sure, i have 15 bikes lol, but 9 bikes with 1-3 shield caps can only do so much, you need allies and then you just focus the bikes fast and hard.

With abilities/power like Jinx, massive re-roll auras, 2D 3D weapons, they die rather fast.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Wych
Imateria

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26 2018, 12:52

hekatrixxy wrote:
Thanks! I'm not fussed about name recognition, just having a fun weekend that challenges me as a player. I'll check out the ones you mentioned. I occasionally listen to the Caledonian Deathwatch Radio podcast as well so I'll listen out for their next events. One of my colleagues is actually friends with the owner of Element Games, I'll have to see if he can score me a discount ticket to one of their events!
Battlefield Birmingham might be one to look at.
Back to top Go down
Drager
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26 2018, 13:12

Imateria wrote:
hekatrixxy wrote:
Battlefield Birmingham might be one to look at.
Warmaster is a nice one not far from London. https://www.facebook.com/events/1987570784839537/2021021628161119/?notif_t=admin_plan_mall_activity&notif_id=1527249556832392 There are also a few in the Luton and Woking area, but I don't have a link to those at the moment.

I can post some comments on both how Taloi perform and what the number 2 list was like as I ran 6 taloi and my first game was against the 2nd place list. I'll put up a detailed comment later, but in short I was winning until the last turn and lost due to some terrible play on my part on the last turn and some stellar play by my opponent, making up a 10 point VP difference in that turn alone. Score ended 13-7 to him, very close and fun game.
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi
TeenageAngst

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26 2018, 19:57

My main man Sal and I had a chat about the London GT and GTs in general since he's quite a bit further up the information chain than I am, I wanted another perspective on the matter and figured it was worth sharing.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: London GT: How was it, how'd we do?   London GT: How was it, how'd we do? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

London GT: How was it, how'd we do?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3