THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Epic trade - custom archons

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Castellan Alaric
Hellion
Castellan Alaric

Epic trade - custom archons Empty
PostSubject: Epic trade - custom archons   Epic trade - custom archons I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24 2018, 16:27

Hey y'all, I appreciate all the feedback from this forum as I get properly started in DE. I had a epic weekend getting a real foot in the door as well. Took some models I'm not using for trade and came back with these Very Happy

Epic trade - custom archons 42317265_10156852018793593_5721549161631842304_n

YUP - built up my first succubus last night as well, and put together one jetbike sans rider (I'll probably paint them separate - once I get my airbrushes back up and running Rolling Eyes )

Now I have a couple of questions:
1) Can y'all give me some examples of kitbashed archons? I am thinking of just using the 5 extra kabalite bodies I have and bits from leftover wych, scourge and kabalite bits to make up a couple archons instead of buying 2 clam packs.

2) How do you make the succubus model differ between 2 identical models? I have 2 start collectings, and I want both of my succubii to be at least somewhat unique. Would a head swap be a good call? I think there are some cool wych heads, and I could give her a blast pistol over the agonizer (I'll probably want her swinging the archite glaive anyhow)?

Thanks again y'all!
Back to top Go down
Glass Battleaxe
Kabalite Warrior
Glass Battleaxe

PostSubject: Re: Epic trade - custom archons   Epic trade - custom archons I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24 2018, 18:36

I'm gonna be a bit annoying and answer these the other way round.

Swapping heads is a good start with identical models like the Succubi and Archons, but I also feel that it's good to have them with a different loadout, even if you're only changing one weapon. I have four GW Archons and two GW Succubi, each with a different loadout and head - when I did my second Succubi, I swapped her head with one of the Hekatrix heads from the Wyches, and swapped her Agoniser for a Blast Pistol, so there's definitely plenty of scope to modify them.

I am a big fan of kit-bashing, especially when it comes to making unique characters. Pictured below is a custom Archon that I kit-bashed completely out of spares - I mention the pieces I used to build it in a post here: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t17858-to-kitbash-or-not-to-kitbash
Epic trade - custom archons 20180510

And here it is painted up, with a pair of Sslyths that are also partially kit-bashed (in terms of their weapons).
Epic trade - custom archons 20180610

I also plan to completely kit-bash a third Succubus at some point in the near future - she'll be equipped with a Shardnet and Impaler, seeing as they can take Wych Weapons as a wargear option.
Back to top Go down
Castellan Alaric
Hellion
Castellan Alaric

PostSubject: Re: Epic trade - custom archons   Epic trade - custom archons I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24 2018, 19:41

Very cool, thanks for the input! I was actually thinking exactly that and giving my 2nd succubus a blast pistol lol Archite glaive seems to be the better weapon over an agoniser anyhow, so blast pistol makes her more fun when I get to shot in my shooting phase while in combat with darklight Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: Epic trade - custom archons   Epic trade - custom archons I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2018, 00:38

1) I don't know how much help my conversions will be, as they all use stuff from outside the starter set. However, I'm happy to post them in case they can be of some use to you anyway.

WIP Archon:

Spoiler:

This chap arose because (for reasons I won't go into), I ended up with a Mandrake model with a deformed lower half. Since I really like the Mandrake sculpts, I wanted to try and use the upper half somehow. I'm trying the Scourge legs partially to try and make it more dynamic and partially because I thought the clawed feet might be a good fit. Not sure yet whether he'll keep the hook, though I see it's lost its handle at some point.

Unpainted Archon:

Spoiler:

I had some 'spare' Scourge legs and wanted to use them for a more traditional Archon, with this being the result. Not sure I like the head, though I think the pose is okay. I found that I'd run out of decorative bits, so I used a couple of Hellglaive blades (which also covered up the wing slots in the back nicely).

2nd Unpainted Archon:

Spoiler:

This is one of my favourites (even though I still haven't got around to painting the sod). He'll also have a holstered pistol (from the Raider or Venom kit IIRC), but I forgot to put it on him before taking the pictures. Anyway, this was one of the models that resulted when I started taking the extra models that come with the Venom and Raider kits (which normally cling to the sides of the model) and re-purposing them as regular troops. In this case, I found a bit of Tyranid scenery for her to pose on. To be honest, I think this one could easily pass as a Succubus with minimal modification. I might even end up using her for that since, as you may have already gathered, I'm not exactly short on Archons. Wink

Mandrake Archon with 'Huskblade' and 'Soul Seeker':

Spoiler:

I appreciate that this one is pushing the definition of 'kitbashed', since all I've really changed is the weapon. It does have some relevance, but I'll get to that in a minute (and I promise I didn't just want to prove that I own at least 1 model that's actually been painted Wink ). Anyway, as with the first one, this is because I really love the Mandrake sculpt and hate having to use them as single-wound fodder. I thought that the flames were a decent stand-in for a pistol (particularly the Soul-Seeker relic, which is what I always field him with). I used one of the knives rather than a full sword because I found the swords to be a little too large. To my mind at least, it would just end up looking oversized and unwieldy, so I instead to take a more creative approach to the 'Huskblade'. Rather annoyingly, I realised that a different dagger would have been even better, but I didn't come across one of those until I'd already glued this one in place and painted it. The 'Albino Mandrake' paint scheme was to make him visually different from both other Mandrakes (though I usually use different models for those anyway) and also from the rest of my army.

Probably not tournament legal but I like him. Smile

2) Okay, here are some suggestions for making Succubi look different:
- In terms of heads, try having one with a revealed face (perhaps one of the ones with long/extravagant hair) and the other one with a mask.
- Use different legs and torsos, so that you can pose them differently. This should help greatly in making them visually different.
- Similarly, if you can pose one on scenery or such, that could help differentiate them.
- Use different decorations. Maybe give one the Trophy Rack bit and either leave the other bare or give her a Phantasm Grenade Launcher back (add some skulls or such if you like, to make it look like a different flavour of trophy rack) or some of the dangling chains from the Venom kit.
- If you're making the Glaive from other parts, you could use different parts for each one. e.g. give them both Hellion Glaives, but then leave one unmodified and on the other, replace the blades with something else (maybe the blade from a Power Sword or Venom Blade).
- If you're willing to compromise on the gear at all, that could help. For example, even if you want both to have Glaives, giving one an Agoniser and the other a Pistol should make a significant difference in terms of their silhouette.
- Finally, don't forget that (after you're done kitbashing) your colour scheme can also make a big difference. Painting them in noticeably different colours or hues could help to differentiate them even further.

Anyway, I hope something here is of use to you. Best of luck. Smile

Castellan Alaric
Hellion
Castellan Alaric

PostSubject: Re: Epic trade - custom archons   Epic trade - custom archons I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2018, 14:59

Wow, thanks man! Just an FYI though, all of your spoilers I couldn't see :/ All of you advice will be taken to heart for sure. I am hoping to have the first 3 jetbikes and their riders done, and my 2nd succubus by the end of the week I think. The jetbikes go together like a dream, just like the craftworld one's I have done in the past.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: Epic trade - custom archons   Epic trade - custom archons I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2018, 15:08

Castellan Alaric wrote:
Wow, thanks man! Just an FYI though, all of your spoilers I couldn't see :/  All of you advice will be taken to heart for sure. I am hoping to have the first 3 jetbikes and their riders done, and my 2nd succubus by the end of the week I think. The jetbikes go together like a dream, just like the craftworld one's I have done in the past.

Cheers!

Hmm, that's odd. You are clicking on the spoilers to open them, yes?

They seem to be working fine for me so I'm afraid I don't know what the issue is.  No

Anyway, I don't want to flood the thread with unspoilered pictures, so instead I'll give you the direct links to the pics I used. Hopefully you'll have more luck with them.  Smile

WIP Archon:

https://i.imgur.com/B9VXJHrl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZNJ4oLWl.jpg

Unpainted Archon:

https://i.imgur.com/qHg8W5nl.jpg

2nd Unpainted Archon:

https://i.imgur.com/JEa4qgTl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cYttzoyl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Pth4Iehl.jpg

Mandrake Archon with 'Huskblade' and 'Soul Seeker':

https://i.imgur.com/xnumEJfl.jpg

Castellan Alaric
Hellion
Castellan Alaric

PostSubject: Re: Epic trade - custom archons   Epic trade - custom archons I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2018, 19:40

I think it's my work's network. I'll take a peek when I get home
Back to top Go down
Toffeehammer
Hellion
Toffeehammer

PostSubject: Re: Epic trade - custom archons   Epic trade - custom archons I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18 2018, 18:27

Here's one of mine I haven't gotten around to painting yet:

Epic trade - custom archons Amqmke10

Mostly simple kabalite warrior and scourge bits but the cloak is from the old dark elf dark riders box. Took a fair bit of chopping and whittling to get it to fit on the kabalite torso considering it came with its own torso already attached but I think it more or less worked out in the end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Epic trade - custom archons   Epic trade - custom archons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Epic trade - custom archons
Page 1 of 1